I just put an "EDEN" gold guard on a CIJ SB Jazzmaster,now with pics!!!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ohm-men
Expat
Expat

I just put an "EDEN" gold guard on a CIJ SB Jazzmaster,now with pics!!!

Post by ohm-men » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:15 am

So, Last week I bought an Eden gold guard for Jazzmaster from e-bay. I paid about € 25 for it including shipping, which is more then reasonable in my book.
Though, Eden says in their e-bay add that this guard is for American Reissue Jazzmasters, it does fit MIJ/CIJ Jazzmasters with some work.

* First impressions of the Eden guard;
-As you may have read the Eden guard is far from prefect when compared to the famous Scotch guard or from other available Gold Guards for Jazzmaster.
-Most obvious is that the brushing is in the wrong direction, so 90 degrees of when compared to other Gold Guards and ofcourse the original.
-Then there is some strange "bevelling" :( going on on this guard, as if someone quickly filed the sides of the guard before it was adonized. Strange.
-The countours look ok, though a few weird spots ocure...
-The fit is ok, though non of the holes correspondent with those of the MIJ/CIJ guard (as was expected) but the bridge holes are placed to far forward to fit. This is a bit anoying in my     book... :-\
-The pick up slots are at the correct distance, phew...but the halve circels are notebly smaller then on the plastic guard. Needed a bit of elbow grease.
*Conclusion
- the price is low and it certainly looks nice :). I mean for a € 25 gold Anodized guard including shipping and handling....But you have to life with the brushing being off by 90° and the weird not so nice looking bevelling of the sides in some earas and it needs work in order to fit a MIJ/CIJ body, which is about an hour of work. I wonder how it will fit an AVRI body.
So it's ok. It would not be ok should it be way more expensive. But Eden should address the weird sloppy filing marks/bevelling as this is not needed, especially when considered this guard is laser cut. (luckely for me it was far worse on my friends Eden Strat Guard that we ordered...)

*Instalation on a MIJ/CIJ Jazzmaster;
-All pickguard holes need to be filed. I used toothpics and fast drying wood glue. I then carefully filed and sanded them flush with the body.(nothing of this  is visible after the guard is in place btw.)
-Then all new holes need to be re- drilled.
-Enlarging of the bridge holes (Dremel, ofcourse) >:(
-Fit the guard. :)
In all, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. It sure looks good! (at least to me) Guitar is ex- Fuzz-Kings CIJ body combined with various AVRI and MIJ/CIJ parts.
The sound is altered as well with the gold guard. It's a bit treblier, but in a good way and there is less hum now as well! But now I have somthing representing a 50ties JM to with my Oly white/tort MIJ JM, to represent the 60ties.
Last edited by ohm-men on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: I just put an "EDEN" gold guard on a CIJ SB Jazzmaster, pics will follow soon.

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:22 am

i actually bought one of these too a while ago, just to see what they look like in person. despite the brushing direction and the crude filing i have to say it looks pretty good. they got the anodizing closer to the real thing than most other new gold guards.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I just put an "EDEN" gold guard on a CIJ SB Jazzmaster, pics will follow soon.

Post by pullover » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:56 am

I purchased a Sharp Concepts gold guard and it was  :k. The gold was the wrong color (more like brass), the pickup routes had to be widened around the screw pockets, and although I didn't have to drill and fill pickguard screws, one of the screw holes was about an inch off. It was in the middle of the control cavity! I had to screw into a vinyl guitar pick to fill the hole. Also I am pretty sure they are powder coated and not electroplating them. I wound up sanding it down and painting it black. I wish I had just bought the Eden one now as it was my first choice.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:24 am

i also have a sharp concepts guard. i sent them a tracing of my CIJ guard (i think it was the first jazzmaster guard they ever made) and the fit was perfect. the color was  :k though. for the record, they do both anodizing and powder coating, mine was definitely anodized.