Neck repairs

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Neck repairs

Post by pullover » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:55 pm

I have a 1978 Gibson G3 and the neck on it is split at the seam.  I was wondering if anyone has come across this, and what they did to fix it. I was thinking of taking it in to be repaired but I wouldn't know what to expect to pay or where to take it. It's not real noticeable, I only know it's split because I pushed on it once and I could see a gap. I don't want to mess it up by leaving it alone, nor do I want to mess it up by taking the truss rod apart and not being able to get it back together. So basically I want to know, would you take this repair on yourself or send it out. And if it was sent out how much would I expect to pay.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Re: Neck repairs

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:08 pm

:(  uggh that's too bad.. those are great basses

I'm sure that can be fixed.. I wouldn't take it on myself but that's just me, do you have a good luthier nearby?

NoFi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NoFi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:28 pm

They were discussing headstock cracks on here :

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=57590

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:05 am

daydreamdelay wrote: :(  uggh that's too bad.. those are great basses

I'm sure that can be fixed.. I wouldn't take it on myself but that's just me, do you have a good luthier nearby?
Thanks, I live in Dallas and there are some great luthiers in the area, my main concern right now is cost. I am definitely going to have to save up before I do. I just have no idea what this should cost. It's not really broken, it's almost like the glue never set. Seems like all it would take is removing truss rod, gluing it, clamping it, then putting the truss rod back. But it probably takes a whole lot more, and I would hate to lose this bass because I tried to fix it.
NoFi wrote: They were discussing headstock cracks on here :

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=57590
Thanks NoFi, that made me feel a lot better about it.
It's always been this way since before I got it, (fade to flashback) back in 96 I had a friend who owed me a little over a hundred bucks. We were sitting at his house when the phone range. It was the local guitars store and they were asking him if he was ever going to come pick up his bass. He asked them what they were talking about. Apparently he had taken the bass in a year earlier and left it with them to see if they could get a case for it. He then got wasted and forgot all about it. I drove him up there to get it and only after seeing it did he remember the bass. Anyway he gave it to me in lieu of money, and it had that line in the neck.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.