Does anyone know the correct pot values for a Jazz Bass?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Does anyone know the correct pot values for a Jazz Bass?

Post by Orang Goreng » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:15 pm

...because I'd like to know as well. The several schematics I have don't list the values.

Thanks to Sookwinder's generosity, yesterday I ripped the EMGs out of my '73 JB and replaced them by Duncan stacked humbuckers. Because the EMGs worked with 25kOhm pots, I borrowed the pots from my Musicmaster (250 kOhm) and put them in the Jazz. Great sound, but the output is a bit lower than on my other bass (full humbuckers, so that's no surprise) and guitars (offsets).

So I wonder, are 250 kOhm pots standard issue for a JB, or does it come with 500k or 1M pots? And what about the tone pot?

TIA,
Z.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: Does anyone know the correct pot values for a Jazz Bass?

Post by mjet » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:59 pm

250k pots are standard for Jazz Basses. Whether the "stacked" aspect of the Duncans calls for something different is another matter, though.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Re: Does anyone know the correct pot values for a Jazz Bass?

Post by Orang Goreng » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:18 am

Thanks! The Duncan schematic shows no pot values, so I'm assuming the PUs are meant as direct replacements.

I've always had EMGs in that bass (they were in there when I bought it), so I didn't really know what to expect output-wise. The output is just a tad lower than, say, my jazzmasters, so I guess this could be the normal situation. In the mean time, I read a few reviews on HC, and there the slightly lower output is also mentioned.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.