What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by SuperAxe » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:05 pm

Perry wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:41 am
Just about finished. Tuned Bflat, F, C, G. String gauges are 56, 44, 32, 19 from a D'Addario EXL 117 set. The pickup is from a Peavey Mystic. The rocker switch is to split the coils. Now I just need to learn how to play it.

Much like. Tenor guitar right? What scale length did you use?

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:50 pm

i am effectively van halening my first strat. just finished peeling the tape off, now just need to give it a clear coat, and let it dry this week before i put it back together!
Black and white as seen in 1978. 8)

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:43 pm

and here it is!

it's not an exact replica, as it has a rosewood neck and black hardware, a zebra pickup and i kept the MXR knob (like the kramer guitars) but it's got what it needs in spirit.

i'll throw in a wolfgang bridge pickup once i score one relatively cheap...

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:19 pm

Very nice!!! I always preferred the white one to the red one!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Perry » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:00 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:48 am

That is amazing. I LOVE it! Great color too!!!
SuperAxe wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:05 pm

Much like. Tenor guitar right? What scale length did you use?
Thank you for your comments. Yes, a tenor baritone guitar. Got the idea from the Eastwood Warren Ellis Tenor Baritone model. It has a 25 inch scale length, so it's a little shorter than the Ellis model. Still learning how to play it.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:51 am

Woodworking: How to Make a Woven Cutting Board

I'm always watching YouTube videos of cool woodworking projects, sometimes for ideas for a specific project, sometimes for techniques/tips-and-tricks. This one appeals to me for both reasons, but particularly for the latter. It got me thinking: the way he tapes the pieces together like a guide, but then free-hands the band saw... If you were to cut out a set piece and want to mirror it for a connecting piece, if you used a router bit with a bearing like some folks do for guitars already, you could make absolutely perfect pieces like this. You could get really creative for cutting boards or even really funky guitar bodies. Definitely inspiring 8)
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:53 am

Thanks for that video. That was a fun one to watch. And yes, inspiring, too.

It also means I need to buy some more cool woodworking tools. LOL

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 pm

More cool woodworking tools is always a thing ;) I want to do something funky with that trick, but I don't know what yet...

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:35 pm

Today I received the beginnings of what will eventually be my dream amp. Right now it's just two 150W solid state mono class D amplifiers. At some point, it'll be a stereo power amp with independent EQs for each side. Not sure yet if I want to try some off the shelf EQ modules or try rolling my own per whatever tone stack I like, but in any case the real work is actually gonna be in building the case for it. That'll mean cutting a front panel, making it look nice, drilling all the holes and mounting stuff. And tolexing the outside. This new thing where you can just get whatever kind of amp circuitry premade in modular fashion is pretty cool. Oh, and I chose amps that are all through-hole circuitboards on the chance they'll want to be serviced.
This is an excellent rectangle

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:58 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:35 pm
Today I received the beginnings of what will eventually be my dream amp. Right now it's just two 150W solid state mono class D amplifiers. At some point, it'll be a stereo power amp with independent EQs for each side. Not sure yet if I want to try some off the shelf EQ modules or try rolling my own per whatever tone stack I like, but in any case the real work is actually gonna be in building the case for it. That'll mean cutting a front panel, making it look nice, drilling all the holes and mounting stuff. And tolexing the outside. This new thing where you can just get whatever kind of amp circuitry premade in modular fashion is pretty cool. Oh, and I chose amps that are all through-hole circuitboards on the chance they'll want to be serviced.
That is awesome. If/when you make a WIP thread, I will subscribe to that fast!! 8)

Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Perry » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Been working on this bass for a short time. Body and neck are bubinga. The fretboard in an unknown wood, possible wenge or black palm. This is a short scale (30 inch) fretless bass. I'm using a guitar humbucker for the pickup. I've read that the main difference in guitar and bass pickups is the polepiece spacing. I'm using an old Carvin M22 pickup, so spacing should not be a problem. 1 volume and 1 tone control with a rocker switch to split the coils. Individual string saddles to accommodate the narrower string spacing.

Here's a photo showing the body with the pickguard and pickup.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:22 am

This past weekend I finally had some time to work on some little projects, and between waiting for glue to dry, I worked on a couple things for my shop itself.

I made a crescent/adjustable wrench holder for my French cleat walls. Just a piece of oak dowel that rest between the jaws. I've seen a number of people that hang crescent wrenches by the hole at the end of the handle, and I've always hated the idea of having to take ALL of them off just to get to one of them.

I was working on a picture frame for my fiance that'll be a present from her daughter, and while doing some routing (tongue and groove cutting, roundovers, keyholes for hanging) the router wouldn't stay put and kept vibrating farther away from me. Not only annoying as fuck, but kinda dangerous too. I had the idea to do so months ago, and knowing that I had a bunch of routing to do, I decided it was finally the day to do it. I added a piece of plywood underneath and attached it to the premade holes at four corners of the router table (bolts at the two back holes, t-track bolts for the front two), so it can attach to my assembly table and stay tight in the t-track.

Underneath the router table, I made some tool/parts holders for the common stuff I use for the router. I made a small block with slots for the router opening hole discs, and then used a small piece of wood so they wouldn't fall out of the front. Then I cut grooves in a small chunk for the collet wrenches. And then a really small piece for the collet itself. My router(s) work with both 1/4" and 1/2" shank bits, so there's a collet for each. I only made the block to hold one collet since there will always be one in the router itself. I want to figure out how make a piece that clamps down, but is easily removable, to hold all my router bits as well. That way, the table and the bits move together. I may not do that, but if I do, I was thinking about doing something like this, with a groove to slide into: Wicked Fast Router & Dremel Bit Storage Trays Using Dadoes Instead of Holes.

I did this a few weeks ago and just forgot to show it here. A few summers ago, I made a holder for the wood glue bottles I use (don't have a picture of how it was before), but the bottom was open. If there was any glue on the tip, it could possibly drip onto whatever tool/holder was below it on the French cleat wall. So, I removed the cleat, and mounted the whole thing to a backing board, with a square underneath it to drip into. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the bottom box, and cut a small chunk of MDF to fit in there, which can be removed in case it gets too gummed up with old glue. The unintended benefit of the whole redesign, which I didn't realize until this past weekend, is that I can now take off the entire holder, and set it upright on the table where I'm gluing things, and put the bottle back into its hole so it won't drip on the table when I'm in the middle of a glue-up.

The next couple projects I want to work on are a holder for my Dremel tool, bits, and the Dremel "drill press" (works amazing for drilling circuit boards with small drill bits), a rack for my sockets/ratchets, and a rack for my hammers. I've been messing with ideas for all of these for a while, but haven't finalized any designs yet.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:25 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:22 am
This past weekend I finally had some time to work on some little projects, and between waiting for glue to dry, I worked on a couple things for my shop itself.
Man, you have been busy! I like good tool storage and access. The Crescent wrench rack is nice. When I was a kid I went into a Harley shop and on the wall, one of the mechanics had hung all his wrenches with outlines of the tools so he knew where to put them back. He had one of every size Crescent wrench in a row. It was most entertaining. Your solution is more space saving, though.

That video with the router bits is almost to my liking but those would have to be in a rack with a door or something to keep a thick layer of dust from forming on all those bits. Then that would be a great idea.

Looks good. All this appeals to the tool junkie in me. :D

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:48 am

Rgand wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:25 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:22 am
Man, you have been busy! I like good tool storage and access. The Crescent wrench rack is nice. When I was a kid I went into a Harley shop and on the wall, one of the mechanics had hung all his wrenches with outlines of the tools so he knew where to put them back. He had one of every size Crescent wrench in a row. It was most entertaining. Your solution is more space saving, though.

That video with the router bits is almost to my liking but those would have to be in a rack with a door or something to keep a thick layer of dust from forming on all those bits. Then that would be a great idea.

Looks good. All this appeals to the tool junkie in me. :D
Thanks man!! I'm the same way: I see something neat for tool storage and it makes me happy. I don't like to lump things together, so the wrenches in that Harley shop would've made me happy too, but I definitely prefer to have something that saves a bit more space. Even if I HAD the space, I'd rather be able to get more tools. A packed wall would feel more cozy I think.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:50 am

Short-scale Jaguar Bass body, Squire VI neck... what could possibly go wrong?

Next hurdle will be finding a toploader bridge with adequate spacing (55mm according the Staytrem's VI bridge)...