What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:16 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:44 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:32 am
How much, if any, would you guys scale-up a guitar body design for a bass-ziezed body and a bass VI-sized body?
IMO, enough to get the top horn around the 12th-14th fret for balance. If I want something to feel and play more like a bass, I set the bridge by the edge of the body and work from there to get that top horn position; if it's more guitar-like then I set the bridge a little (but not a ton) back from where it would normally be.

If it's more bass-like I'll want the horn closer to the 12th fret for balance and just for a more bass-like playing position, but I'm less picky if it's gonna be more of a baritone.
Thanks for the quick reply!!

Would you personally consider a Bass VI more guitar-like or bass-like, in regards to bridge placement?

I've got a non-trem JM plate for my Bass VI type (from Faction!), and that will be my tailpiece. I'll likely grab a Staytrem VI bridge for the bridge itself too (haven't decided which width as I don't have a neck for it yet). I won't be using it as a baritone, as I'm also in the process of having a baritone made ;D
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:23 pm

I have a couple projects coming up that I'm finally getting to, and I was curious what some of you guys think, as they have started me thinking about other things.

I'm finally gonna start building my slide guitar (console-style steel guitar). It'll be 6-string, and like 24" or 24.5" scale length, Tele bridge pickup, and a Roadhouse KT100 for the neck (that I bought years ago).

Weird project thought: has anyone ever heard of a slide guitar with couplings (like a 12-string guitar, tuned to octaves)? I don't know that it's worth it, but it sounds like a neat idea in theory.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:57 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Would you personally consider a Bass VI more guitar-like or bass-like, in regards to bridge placement?

I've got a non-trem JM plate for my Bass VI type (from Faction!), and that will be my tailpiece. I'll likely grab a Staytrem VI bridge for the bridge itself too (haven't decided which width as I don't have a neck for it yet). I won't be using it as a baritone, as I'm also in the process of having a baritone made ;D
The Fender VI is definitely more guitar-like, like the Schecter Ultracure VI/Hellcat VI/ C-VI, whereas something like the Ibanez SRC6 is more bass-like and the Eastwood Hooky is somewhere in the middle (though a little more guitar in playing position, in neck feel/spacing it's more bass-like).

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:08 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:57 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

The Fender VI is definitely more guitar-like, like the Schecter Ultracure VI/Hellcat VI/ C-VI, whereas something like the Ibanez SRC6 is more bass-like and the Eastwood Hooky is somewhere in the middle (though a little more guitar in playing position, in neck feel/spacing it's more bass-like).
So, it likely depends on the neck then, is what I'm hearing. The reason I asked, is because I was tempted to get a set of the Jagstang Done Right templates from Faction, and make that my Bass VI...

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:08 pm
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:57 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

So, it likely depends on the neck then, is what I'm hearing. The reason I asked, is because I was tempted to get a set of the Jagstang Done Right templates from Faction, and make that my Bass VI...
Yeah, pretty much. If you're willing to mount the neck a bit further in, or adjust the actual body a bit, you could definitely set up something that will handle somewhere in between a short-scale Jag bass/Mustang bass and something more guitar-y

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:15 pm

Had a custom pickguard made for my Affinity Jazzmaster HH. It's going to be a little while before I complete this project, but it's already painting a picture. I'm planning on white pickups and flat top tele knobs.

You probably noticed that there is no hole for the switch. Reason for that is because I never use the middle position. I'm either bridge or neck. I intend to use a SD Triple Shot ring with a Planet Tone Full Throttle in the bridge and a Mojotone 58 Quiet Coil in the neck. 500k pots, .033 capacitor, master volume, master tone, push/pull volume pot as a pickup selector switch.

JohnWainwright
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JohnWainwright » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:51 pm

Tonight/tomorrow's pile includes...
  • Standard P-Bass
  • '51 P-Bass vintage circuit
  • Lefty HSS Stratocaster w/ super switch, and push/pull add neck in any position
  • HS Telecaster w/ VariTone
  • Ibanez Mikro Bass blend conversion
  • Greasebucket tone pot
  • Concentric pot mod to a 250k/250k No-Load
  • Concentric pot mod to a 500k/500k No-Load
  • Push/pull pot mod to reverse audio/Lefty
---
jw

funkyeah!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by funkyeah! » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:32 pm

These actual DeArmond goldfoils and weird tele neck pickup going into my extra body (messed up bridge placement so it'll get a bridge plate.

I can't resist posting this Ditto face

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:40 am

Anyone ever made or played a passive bass with no volume or tone pots, just pickup straight to jack?

JohnWainwright
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JohnWainwright » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:03 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:40 am
Anyone ever made or played a passive bass with no volume or tone pots, just pickup straight to jack?
Well - not where that was the only option...but I've wired them up with push/pulls to enable straight-to-jack as an option, so...same end effect.

It's a little louder/brighter than when wired through controls maxed at "10". (How much more a "little" is, depends entirely on the pots/cap in question.) Be tough to control in a performance setting with other instruments. Maybe run it through a volume pedal - or whomever is running the board is gonna be busy.

But yeah...it works.
---
jw

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:19 am

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:15 pm
Had a custom pickguard made for my Affinity Jazzmaster HH. It's going to be a little while before I complete this project, but it's already painting a picture. I'm planning on white pickups and flat top tele knobs.

You probably noticed that there is no hole for the switch. Reason for that is because I never use the middle position. I'm either bridge or neck. I intend to use a SD Triple Shot ring with a Planet Tone Full Throttle in the bridge and a Mojotone 58 Quiet Coil in the neck. 500k pots, .033 capacitor, master volume, master tone, push/pull volume pot as a pickup selector switch.

i'm keeping an eye on this one.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:59 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:19 am
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:15 pm

i'm keeping an eye on this one.
It's going to be an extremely slow grind. Life is kind of holding me down at the moment. I'm kind of tinkering on this jazzmaster as a means of finding peace in the chaos. My attention and funds are both tight right now, but eventually, I will probably do a whole thread on the mods.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:38 am

JohnWainwright wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:03 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Well - not where that was the only option...but I've wired them up with push/pulls to enable straight-to-jack as an option, so...same end effect.

It's a little louder/brighter than when wired through controls maxed at "10". (How much more a "little" is, depends entirely on the pots/cap in question.) Be tough to control in a performance setting with other instruments. Maybe run it through a volume pedal - or whomever is running the board is gonna be busy.

But yeah...it works.
Good to know! I don't think I'd want a bass with no controls at all, but my Jag bass has a MM humbucker, and I'm tempted to put an active volume and tone circuit in it. The issue there is that I'd have an extra 2-position Jag switch (upper rhythm switch essentially) that I wouldn't have anything to use it for. I was thinking a volume and tone bypass if I want to switch from active back to passive, but i don't want any more pots/knobs/holes in the pickguard.

I was tempted to make it a phase switch, but I'm not sure that a MM humbucker with half of it out of phase with the other half is a sound I'd care about. I'll try it all out (breadboard!) before deciding.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:27 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:38 am
JohnWainwright wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

But yeah...it works.
Good to know! I don't think I'd want a bass with no controls at all, but my Jag bass has a MM humbucker, and I'm tempted to put an active volume and tone circuit in it. The issue there is that I'd have an extra 2-position Jag switch (upper rhythm switch essentially) that I wouldn't have anything to use it for. I was thinking a volume and tone bypass if I want to switch from active back to passive, but i don't want any more pots/knobs/holes in the pickguard.

I was tempted to make it a phase switch, but I'm not sure that a MM humbucker with half of it out of phase with the other half is a sound I'd care about. I'll try it all out (breadboard!) before deciding.

Joe Dart does, and he seems to be doing fine! I bet you will too.

"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:50 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:27 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:38 am
JohnWainwright wrote:

But yeah...it works.

Joe Dart does, and he seems to be doing fine! I bet you will too.

Never heard of him. Thanks for the information, I'll have to look him up! And that bass is gorgeous!!!