Time to come clean about why I'm asking for measurements etc.....

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Time to come clean about why I'm asking for measurements etc.....

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:07 am

DarrelT wrote: The Mustang trem isn't going to be that close to the pickguard if you're planning on staying with the standard size XII pickguard.
There will be a gap just like the Custom/Maverick.
hmmm....I thought if I reversed the bridge plate and bent down the lip to give mor etravel, I *might* be able to get it to intonate correctly.....

is it probably impossible? :(

if it is, I'll go for a floating bridge and be done with it.

if that doesn't work either, then I'll either wait for an XII bridge to pop up, or I'm scrapping the project...

I really want it to look good...if there's gonna be gaps and stuff, then I'd rather not bother with the whole thing  :(
Resident Spartan.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:26 am

dude you cannot scrap the project now - think of all those people who have dismantled and measured their bridges for you!
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:40 am

if it ends up not looking good, then I'll have to.

looking back on this thread, it appears there's so many obstacles...it's pretty amazing...every idea that I have, seems to be unworkable :/

and it's all because of the bloody bridge!  :(

just the thought of the size of this world in regards to a few spare XII bridges infuriates me at times...how can there be none available? :(

it just baffles me.

maybe it's best for me not to think about this project for a month or so...to calm down my nerves.

probably is best....
Resident Spartan.

DarrelT
Expat
Expat

Post by DarrelT » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:06 am

You could also make the pickguard trem/bridge cut not as deep, so it would meet with the Mustang trem.

Coronado
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Coronado » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:55 am

DarrelT wrote: You could also make the pickguard trem/bridge cut not as deep, so it would meet with the Mustang trem.
Yeah, that way it would look better.

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:16 pm

Couldnt you have a machine shop make you up a bridge of that sort pretty easily?  Taken to basics with a 6 string, its really not that complex, a solid base with a bend in it, and 16 or so holes drilled total, in fact, you could do the drilling yourself.  You dont need that funky center section that keeps the saddles together, its just the same basic concept as a MM bridge only sized like the XII bridge.  I suppose that would be more expensive than the MM bridge, but I would think if youre that hot to do it, its a worthwhile thing to do and get just right. 

As far as the finish, you can get black nitro in a spray can from reranch, that way youd have the best of both worlds, a quick, easy, cheap and homemade looking finish, and itd be a lot easier to get nicely reliced like your mockup.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:57 am

rabidhamster wrote: Couldnt you have a machine shop make you up a bridge of that sort pretty easily?  Taken to basics with a 6 string, its really not that complex, a solid base with a bend in it, and 16 or so holes drilled total, in fact, you could do the drilling yourself.  You dont need that funky center section that keeps the saddles together, its just the same basic concept as a MM bridge only sized like the XII bridge.  I suppose that would be more expensive than the MM bridge, but I would think if youre that hot to do it, its a worthwhile thing to do and get just right. 

As far as the finish, you can get black nitro in a spray can from reranch, that way youd have the best of both worlds, a quick, easy, cheap and homemade looking finish, and itd be a lot easier to get nicely reliced like your mockup.

I'll check with a machine shop, and if there is a way that is cheap, I'll get a couple made, just in case.

as far as re-ranch products, they are uot of the question as I'm in Europe and they won't ship outside the US. :(

and even if I got someone in the US to buy the can of nitro for me, they still wouldn't be able to send it over as there's an aerosol can law that says they can't be posted anymore (or something among these lines)

I'm just gonna give this a project a break for a bit...just so I can regain my sanity....

I'll bump up this thread in a month or two....

thanks everyone
Resident Spartan.