Time to come clean about why I'm asking for measurements etc.....

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Re: Time to come clean about why I'm asking for measurements etc.....

Post by Orang Goreng » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:15 am

Maybe you can do something with this picture I just took of my MM. What you want to find out is the distance between the saddles and the leading edge of the bridge. If someone could compare this to their XII, we could check how interchangeable the bridges are.

It seems like I'm pushing you into using an MM bridge, doesn't it?  ;)
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:18 am

Orang Goreng wrote:
That certainly seems to be the most logical way to go, IMHO. Basically the same shape, easy to get a hold of, etc.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:28 am

Just look at how much travel there's left for the saddles if you move them back. I think it should be possible even if the saddle-leading edge distance is much greater on a XII bridge.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:36 am

Orang Goreng wrote: Maybe you can do something with this picture I just took of my MM. What you want to find out is the distance between the saddles and the leading edge of the bridge. If someone could compare this to their XII, we could check how interchangeable the bridges are.

hehe...anything that saves money is great...I'd definetely use the MM bridge if it fit for sure :)

hopefuly someone (Marc maybe?) could measure the saddle distance....

:)
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:49 am

zhivago wrote: I getcha now! :)

yeah, I filled in the pickguard gap on another pic of the Maverick and the pickguard's end looked too square....

hmmm....it's so weird that the particular XII bridge is not available as an aftermarket part :(

I'll fire up photoshop again tonight...it's just a bit like flying blind though....I don't really know exactly where to place any of the potential bridges on the mockup....
You could use a Jazzmaster body with a normal JM bridge as a reference point for placing the new bridge. Like Dr. Zai said, you can use the saddles themselves on both bridges as the sync point, and then line the new one up. I think this is an awesome project  :)

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:05 am

good point there, Justin :)

I totaly agree...if this pans out like the photoshop mockup, then it'll be a really cool guitar...I should be designing for Fender!!

mind you, they would all be offsets!!!

:D
Resident Spartan.

matthew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matthew » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:56 pm

Orang Goreng wrote: Maybe you can do something with this picture I just took of my MM. What you want to find out is the distance between the saddles and the leading edge of the bridge. If someone could compare this to their XII, we could check how interchangeable the bridges are.
(Sorry, it is simply too hot for me to do anything as energetic as take a nice picture of the bridge right now)
From the back of the bridge to the front is 53mm, from the saddles to the front, between 15 and 20mm

If I get a chance in the next couple of days, I'll take a picture of the bridge with a ruler in it for scale.

matthew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matthew » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:47 am

Ok, the cool change has arrived, so I've done some pictures...

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:00 am

That settles it then. The saddles on the MM can easily travel 10 mm back. It would look a bit odd with the intonation screws sticking out in front, but if necessary these can always be sawn off.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:13 am

Orang Goreng wrote: That settles it then. The saddles on the MM can easily travel 10 mm back. It would look a bit odd with the intonation screws sticking out in front, but if necessary these can always be sawn off.

my god I love this forum!

I really do!!

it really is settled...the MM bridge will work, and the scale will be correct!

this just saved me $$$$$$!

thank you all very much!!!
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:27 am

ok...been thinking long and hard about alternatives and changing the actual design in order to drop the cost.

the bridge and also the pups are gonna be expensive, and after looking at pics of the Custom/Maverick, and also Mustang guitars, I've modified it to this:

Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:29 am

intonation and bridge positioning could be a problem...as a first solution, I thought of turning the bridge round, and pushing the lip facing the tail-end down, so I can get the actual saddles to travel further backwards.

if that doesn't prove sufficient, I might actualy use a floating bridge, so it'll all intonate ok.

this will considerably drop the cost of a bridge + the hassle of unloading the canibalised Strat XII.
Resident Spartan.

Coronado
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Coronado » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:08 am

Well I have to tell the truth.

I was asking for the control plate and pickguard tracings because I have a similar proyect, the only diference is that I'll use a JM tremolo. So it would be a JM with a XII pickguard and control plate.

This way I'll have the XII look AND the tremolo. I don't have an image but I think you can imagine it.  :)

John, I'm sure this way is easy for you to get the parts, but I don't like much the mustang tremolo... Sure it looks good, but I didn't like it when I had my Mustang.  :(
Last edited by Coronado on Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:14 am

what I wanna do basicaly is totaly decide on the tremolo piece once I have most of the pieces...I'll take the unfinished body, put the pieces on (before routing or anything) and draw the outlines to see where everything goes...

I've had a Mustang before and was ok with the tremolo...I made mockups of the same guitar with a JM tremolo, and I dunno...it just didn't look right to me...

either way, we'll end up with some cool guitars man!

next pieces for me to buy is the pickguard, the mustang tailpiece, and then the body, so I can start figuring out things in a more hands-on situation.

photoshop mockups are cool, btu getting the pieces in front of me will be great help in deciding how to go about this project.

what I know for sure, is that I don't want to give up on it because of the XII bridge rarity....

I still am not set on using XII pups or plain single coils either....so I guess I'm just throwing ideas out in the open....

Resident Spartan.

DarrelT
Expat
Expat

Post by DarrelT » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:02 am

The Mustang trem isn't going to be that close to the pickguard if you're planning on staying with the standard size XII pickguard.
There will be a gap just like the Custom/Maverick.