Charcoal Frost - Help me describe it

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mjet
Expat
Expat

Charcoal Frost - Help me describe it

Post by mjet » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:42 pm

Let's assume that one wanted to refin a guitar in Charcoal Frost yet didn't have any access to reranch colors - you just have to describe it to someone. How would you do so?

I'd take a stab at it although I've never seen one in person. Is there a slight sparkle to it? Is it enough to describe it as extremely dark grey, not quite black but close? How else would you describe it?

And from the technical side, how were these finishes applied? Sealer and finish, or did it have a gold or silver undercoat?
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Charcoal Frost - Help me describe it

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:22 pm

Yes, it's metallic, it has a slight sparkle. I think most people would call it "dark charcoal gray" on a car or motorcycle (etc).

When I did mine, I didn't use nitro. I took a color sample to the auto paint store and matched it up in the DuPont polyurethane catalog. I'm not sure about the original nitro, if it had an undercoat or not.  I sprayed the poly over yellow primer, so if it chipped eventually it might look authentic. But that poly was rock hard!

It's very hard to photo, the flash makes the metallic content stand out, and the charcoal takes on a slight bluish or burgandy hue. It's really a great color, especially in natural light.
Q. Are we not men?

thevial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thevial » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:08 pm

i'm really thinking of doing a jazzmaster in charcoal frost coming up [it's either that, or a lighter more pewter metallic]. i thought about matching up a dupont color. i can get any dupot finish sprayed for super cheap by a close friend. but i wanted to go away from poly. ilovesharinfoo suggested using auto lacquer.

doesnt reranch NOT have charcoal frost anyway? i was looking for a dark pewter and i didnt notice that they had anything.
Last edited by thevial on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:46 am

Thanks, guys. So I could explain to folks that it's a "dark candy apple grey" and go from there.

The guy who I think will do the deed (although we had talked about olywhite and black before - my interest in charcoal frost piqued just a few days ago) has done CAR finishes so that frame of reference should help. Is it a bit less "sparkly" than CAR, or about the same?

(I almost wrote "is the density of the sparkliness the same" and then I realized that it sounded a bit...well...odd.)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:33 am

Printing out and taking along lots of pics would help too I guess.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:20 am

Is it a bit less "sparkly" than CAR, or about the same?

I would say less. While it may or may not have the same amount of metallic content, it does not have the 'flip-flop' quality that a candy finish has (provided by the undecoat).

I liken it more to LPB or BMM (or any other of the standard metallics) as far as "sparkliness".
Q. Are we not men?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:27 am

I've never seen it in front of me,

to me, it appears to be a lighter shade of black....more black than silver...really dark silver

in some pics, it appears to have a green hue to it...in others it seems grayscale.

I personaly absolutely love the colour...lemme see if I can dig out some pics.....

*off to go through HD*
Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:29 am

mezcalhead wrote: Printing out and taking along lots of pics would help too I guess.
I always do this but I only have a few photos, and each one has its own "bias" (original quality of photograph, shading, lighting  etc).

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:30 am

zhivago wrote: I've never seen it in front of me,

to me, it appears to be a lighter shade of black....more black than silver...really dark silver

in some pics, it appears to have a green hue to it...in others it seems grayscale.

I personaly absolutely love the colour...lemme see if I can dig out some pics.....

*off to go through HD*
I'm guessing that the greenish hue is a time-based effect like OlyWhite yellowing.

Any photos you have would be greatly appreciated  as I can add it to the few that I already have.

The technical details are:

Color                 Charcoal Frost metallic
Paint Type     Lucite (DuPont acrylic lacquer)
Paint Number   4618L
Fender Years   1965-1969
Car Years     1965-1966
CarMake              Lincoln
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:57 am

ok...i've posted this one before....

this it's the one at that shop (huge pics):

http://www.againstperfection.net/guitar ... faguar.jpg

http://www.againstperfection.net/guitar ... arcoal.jpg

$trat:

JM headstock:

another $trat:

these are pics I took from the Warmoth site years ago...dunno if they're still there, but I uploaded them onto my server..they show how hard it is to take pics of it...excuse the body shapes.... :D

that's all I got...for what it's worth, I like the hue on the 1st Jag and the complete $trat....

:)
Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:59 am

Thanks for those. I also found this one, which has the guitar contrasted against a black hardshell case:

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:09 am

Here's what I came up with for my refin:

It looked darker in person, the flash brightens it up. It was actually a pretty good match for that $trat on the black case...
Q. Are we not men?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:11 am

mjet260 wrote: Thanks for those. I also found this one, which has the guitar contrasted against a black hardshell case:

that's totaly my idea of charcoal frost :)

glad to help with any pics I have, Michael

:)
Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:15 am

Doug,

Those photos of the Jag are a game-set-match for me. I'm asking about this for my Warmoth Jag project.

I now have to decide whether to go for a matching headstock or just have the current one veneered after the extra tuner holes  >:(  are patched up. I'm leaning towards the matching headstock, though, with a clipped Fender logo.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:22 am

mjet260 wrote: Doug,

Those photos of the Jag are a game-set-match for me. I'm asking about this for my Warmoth Jag project.

I now have to decide whether to go for a matching headstock or just have the current one veneered after the extra tuner holes  >:(  are patched up. I'm leaning towards the matching headstock, though, with a clipped Fender logo.
my vote's for matching headstock...it would look HOT!!!

8)
Resident Spartan.