In between JM Project - Finished!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

In between JM Project - Finished!

Post by the older brother » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:48 am

OK, I'm out of funds for my 70:ish Jazzmaster deluxe project :(
I have to wait 'til next paycheck for buying the last parts (body/bridge/pickguard) - but until then I may have time for somethinge else - and that would be this:

I have a MIJ OLY JM with poly (I guess) finnish and non matching headstock. Like this:

I plan to strip the poly and refin with nitro (OLY) - sand off the poly on the neck and refin it with clear nitro and add a matching headstock. Also I have a transit decal that I tend to put on. I'm awaiting white witch hats from "You know who" too wich will also be added....Like this:

That'd make it to something of a 64/65 RI instead of a 62 RI 8)

As I've decided to go "all white (mint on white actually) i add this pic:

I will start with the neck in case I decide it's not worth the work effort.... and if I don't find the time before I can move on with my JM DL! ;)

...so what do you think - let me know!

Oct 15:

So I've been Tinting/spraying/sanding/spraying/wetsanding/spraying/wetsanding the neck (3-5 thin layers of clearcoat between each sanding - still some orange peel feeling to it, but I'll let it rest for now until final wetsanding/polish/buffing). Here's some pics:

Tinted:
I mixed yellow with a little walnut and a pinch of bright oak for a more vintage feel.

After some coating/wet sanding:
.....not cleaned after the wetsanding - that's the white "dust" on the neck....
also I missed a spot with the dye (on the edge - you'll see it in the pic). I will try to fix that with tinted nitro clearcoat later on (I'll be aging the OLY with some).

To the body.
I've stripped/sanded/woodfilled/sanded the body.

Before:

Stripped:

Woodfilled and sanded:
...some traces from a bad tint. I tried to use the same mixture as I used on the neck, but as the end grain soaked much more on the body than on the neck it got awful, so I sanded it off.

I've sanded some more and dyed with only yellow:

On a homemeade paint stick:

This week I got TAS (Tool Aquisition Symdrome) and bought me an air compressor and a spray-gun. ;)
Tomorrow I'm off to GNU and some OLY paint shopping!

Oct 19:th

Just had my virginity on spray guns taken  :-[
It's like 1000 times better (and funnier) than aerosol-cans!!!!
Ok - It's my first off and i need to wetsand off some orange peel and then go to clearcoat, but I'm pretty satisfied though. (next time = way better sanding/filling etc before colour, but somethings you need to learn the hard way...)
Pics:

The matching headstock.

Body front and back.
ImageImage

Together.

Trying out the decal.
...wich actually is two decals. I had one of those from ebay with the "JAZZMASTER" in way too big letters and then I got this awful looking spaghetti logo wich was actually too small, but with the same oversize on "JAZZMASTER". I cut them together and if I can get the cut line inbetween pretty invisible (dripping some clearcoat or so) it will turn out pretty nice I think.

8th Nov

Neck is finnished. Final wet sanding and polish/buffing done. (not too shiny as I'm after a light relic touch).Also the decal is applied:

As said - it's actually two decals cut together. Came out pretty good IMO (you can spot the edges viewed from a certain angle, but I'll leave it for now - if i stumble onto a better decal in the future I'll change it then).
You can also see the rosewood bleed as I've mentioned. I left that too (obviously) because it gave a kind of "vintage" feel to it (like a cigarette burn or something - if it bothers me in the future - I'll try to repair it at the same time for the decal swap).

Next up is some tuner/string tree assembly.

Also the body is ready painted:

As you can see it needs final wet sanding and polishing. What you can't see is that it's tinted, but not under the picguard and trem - I'll try get some better pics this weekend.
It have cured for a week and I'll let it cure three or four more. I try to keep it in a warm place (not in my garage), so when I throw it in the freezer for some light checking to appear, it'll hopefully work....

My new mint coloured pickguard left the US this monday (at least that's what USPS site says), so some test assemblies of the whole guitar may be done this weekend (or next).

10th Nov

Last night i got the neck finnished.

Bushings fit in place with a little help from a quick-grip bar-clamp (snabbtving in Swedish) - It made the job pretty easy:

Tuners in place:

...and complete with stringtree:

Today I did a "fake" assemble of the guitar (mostly for checking colour scheme and for some shots for Rumors "family" thread:

With the gang:

...the last few days I've got a GAS coming on though.... I think I'd like to try a vintage tort (I got a red MIJ and a brown AVRI - the AVRI is better then the MIJ - but none of them really does it)....hmm  :-\

Nov 18

Project is finnished. I've been doing the final sanding this weekend. I found that my paint job could have been better (especially the woodfiller part...). This made me take a decision - I'm gonna relic this axe! Not much - but some armwear and paint chippin. I also wetsanded the pickguard with 2000 grain to get the used look.  The light relicing is matching the '65 Trem and the authenticly aged pup covers really good.
No pics of the process though, as the camera was with my wife on a different location...

After that - Time for final assembly!
First: New pup foam. Bye bye mouse pad.
...and welcome pup foam stripes.
With some carpet tape (sticky on both sides) they're fitted into the cavities.

Then I moved the wiring stuff from the AVRI tort guard to the (Allparts) mint guard. I had to redrill the holes for the pots (because of size) on the pickguard and the jack (because the shield and the guard holes didn't align 100%) on the alu shield, but other then that it fitted real nice.

Pickguard assembled.
...then the trem (Yes, I saved the "old" strings - I've just had it strung up with a new set when I decided to take the guitar apart...) .

Next up was some neck shimmin (because the neck pocket surface is even as the rocky mountains and makes the neck tilt in the wrong direction without).
cardboard.
Cut and in place.

25th Nov

My crappy cam is about to give in, but here's some almost decent pics.

Body front/back:
ImageImage

close ups:
ImageImage

I wasn't going to relic it at first (I have ranted some against relicing at this forum  :-[ ), but when the colour and coats where done there was a bunch of dings that "shone through" since earlier. Also It looked kind of wrong with those authenticly aged pup covers and the coffee'd witch hats along the new fin and the shining pickguard. I think I'll get a try with the checking sometime in the spring beside that - It's finnished.
Last edited by the older brother on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: In between JM Project due to lack of funds...

Post by the older brother » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:55 am

BTW

I've thought about this pickguard change too:

...but at the moment I kind o like the brown tort (one of the best I've seen IMO) to the OLY fin...someday-maybe.
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:59 am

doing up a Japanese JM in nitro is a GREAT idea!

I'm currently doing it to my CIJ Jazzmaster....it's gone from Daphne Blue to...ermmm...Black! :)
Resident Spartan.

Jazzprod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzprod » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:31 am

the older brother wrote:

Great idea!!!
I don't think you'll regret it!!  :? :?
......below the apes above the angels.....

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:19 am

White witch hats arrived today!

(with some other candy that also dropped in my mailbox...)

Here's the pair...
....i've chosen for this project. They're already into the coffee treatment  ;)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:43 am

the witchhats are so cool looking...they instantly advance a Jazzmaster's look to the next level :)
Resident Spartan.

heavenstreet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by heavenstreet » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:45 am

I'm excited to see what you do.  I'm having a forum member build me a three WRHumbucker Jazzblaster and I was thinking OLY w/ Tortoise.  If you choose that I might go a different route!

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:04 pm

Cool project!
I'm curious to hear about you impressions on how the nitro feels compare to poly.

and maybe you could put a rusted metal pickguard..  ;)
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:20 pm

zhivago wrote: doing up a Japanese JM in nitro is a GREAT idea!

I'm currently doing it to my CIJ Jazzmaster....it's gone from Daphne Blue to...ermmm...Black! :)
No shit!  :D

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:48 pm

OK,

Neck stripping time. (sorry for the BAD pics, I only got my crappy cellphone cam...) I've decided to reshape the head towards my vintage '62 headstock. The MIJ/CIJ have a little too flat angle on the lower edge (the corner where the F in Fender starts or the first swirl on JM's) because the radius on the curve is too big compared to vintage headstocks. I'm also going to reshape the back where head meets neck towards the more sophisticated shapes of my 62 (the MIJ is fat and dull...). Sooo bye bye:
ImageImage

and welcome:
ImageImage

I've saved the surfaces with markings (just in case someone acuses me for fraud  ;)

Tomorrow I'm off to the local luthier and buy me some paint!

Jazzprod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzprod » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:27 pm

GMF?  ;)

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:51 am

GNU?

Jazzprod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzprod » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:20 am

Damn, I was tired last night  ???
Of course I mean GNU!  ;D ;D ;D

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:26 am

GNU! :)

Iam tired NOW and sat staring at your posts for a couple of minutes and didn't have a clue what you meant!.....

eupat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eupat » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:50 am

you too? ok then I'm not alone...  ;)

I can't really see your re-shaping of the headstock, perhaps it's more significant in real life...

and by the way, go for mint green pickguard!
si t'as mal aux cervicales, arrête le métal!