AVRI pickguard for CIJ's?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

AVRI pickguard for CIJ's?

Post by batchainpuller » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:03 pm

Sorry folks - I posted a question regarding this in another forum but didn't receive a response...
Basically I'm wondering if anyone out there has thrown on an AVRI Jaguar pickguard on a CIJ. If so, was it necessary to purchase AVRI switch/control plates to fit the guard or was the AVRI guard possibly trimmed to fit the CIJ?
Ideally I would love to get a vintage tortoise guard on ebay but it seems they scarcely appear.
I HATE my current CIJ very red guard and would prefer the darker brown tort for my sunburst. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: AVRI pickguard for CIJ's?

Post by fullerplast » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:23 pm

The pot and switch holes on the CIJ  plates would be slightly smaller than AV, but the guard should fit. You could upgrade to US pots (not a bad idea) and plates, but its not absolutely necessary just to use the guard.  Two of the screw holes will not line up, AFAIK, the rest will. You would have to drill two small pilot holes and thread the screws in. There would be two extra holes hidden under the guard. I don't think there's much more you would have to do, as far as trimming, etc. It's not a big deal.

Disclaimer: I'm passing on what I know from reading on these forums and tinkering around with parts. I've put aftermarket import guards on US bodies, but never the other way around. I'm fairly confident that all the above is true, but can't guarantee it. In any case, it's not a big deal I'm sure of that.

Anyone else? Anyone done it?
Q. Are we not men?

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:41 am

I've put a '65 guard on an '87 body. Just as Doug mentioned, it's only a matter of a few holes not lining up, but that's pretty much it. Of course I also had to file a bit because the guard had shrunk, but I'm assuming that shouldn't be an issue on a new guard.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:28 am

i too can confirm that there will be minimal adjustments that you may have to make, but nothing major. the problems come when you are mixing say ... warmoth parts (for example) with genuine fender parts.

donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by donnyII » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:32 am

I put an all parts pick guard on my cij jag.  I just had to file around the switch plate and it fits ok.
Behold, THE WIZARD

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:45 am

I don't have any experience with Jaguar pickguards, but I did pick up an AVRI Jazzmaster guard to try on my CIJ JM a while back.  As others have stated, there were a couple screw holes that didn't line up, but most importantly the bridge post holes were not correctly aligned.  The CIJ holes are slightly further from the neck pocket, so the holes in the AVRI guard would have needed to be enlarged in that direction, or else there would be a noticeable gap at the neck.  I don't know if this is also the case with Jaguars.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:51 pm

donnyII wrote: I put an all parts pick guard on my cij jag.  I just had to file around the switch plate and it fits ok.
I don't think allparts guards are a problem, I have one on my CIJ JM and I didn't have to adjust anything at all, it fits perfectly.

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:40 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:
donnyII wrote: I put an all parts pick guard on my cij jag.  I just had to file around the switch plate and it fits ok.
I don't think allparts guards are a problem, I have one on my CIJ JM and I didn't have to adjust anything at all, it fits perfectly.
i think i have a couple of allparts jm guards as well, i also found them to be a pretty good fit on cij/mij jazzmasters. i can't remember whether they came with the full size volume/tone pot holes though.

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:35 pm

offsetwaistbody wrote:
Sauerkraut wrote:
i think i have a couple of allparts jm guards as well, i also found them to be a pretty good fit on cij/mij jazzmasters. i can't remember whether they came with the full size volume/tone pot holes though.
Thanks for all your input everyone.
Would anyone be able to tell me what the Allparts tort guards look like? As I mentioned previously, I'm trying to find something more brown than red.

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:37 am

going on the photos available on allparts website and also the better photo on guitar parts resource, i would have to say that the allparts tortoise jm guards are just as red and nasty looking as the one you are trying to replace.
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/JZREDTORT.jpg
you may find that ebay is your best bet for a fender japan brown tort guard (going cheap!). there is an ebay shop that parts out cij jazzmasters (amongst everything else - all disassembled new guitars)... his ebay i.d. is reliablefender and the shop name is the stratosphere. though he doesn't appear to have one up for auction at the moment.

[edit]

ooopps... we were supposed to be helping you find a jaguar pickguard!!! 
strangely... gpr don't list an allparts tort guard for a japanese jaguar. and that stratosphere guy doesn't have any jag guards up at the mo' either.
i'm not being much help here am i!
of course the avri guards will be fine so long as you are prepared to get the nail file out if it requires it and make a couple of new screw holes. 
Last edited by mezcalhead on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:33 am

offsetwaistbody wrote: ooopps... we were supposed to be helping you find a jaguar pickguard!!!  :-[
strangely... gpr don't list an allparts tort guard for a japanese jaguar. and that stratosphere guy doesn't have any jag guards up at the mo' either.
i'm not being much help here am i!
of course the avri guards will be fine so long as you are prepared to get the nail file out if it requires it and make a couple of new screw holes.  :)
a well, at least he knows he doesn't want an allparts guard, here's my JM with allparts guard by the way:
http://public.fotki.com/sauerkraut/gear ... n_081.html
http://public.fotki.com/sauerkraut/gear ... n_082.html
it's very red, I like the colour, but I don't like the pattern on it much, doesn't look good from nearby.

I think the AVRI guards are perfect if you're looking for a brown sort of tortoise, they're probably worth the trouble of making them fit as I don't think any other company makes tortoise guards more 'brownish' than Fender.
Last edited by Sauerkraut on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:10 am

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, fullerplast, offsetwaistbody and Sauerkraut.
Sauerkraut - your Allparts guard on your JM looks good, especially on black. My current guard is an even brighter colour of red and doesn't suit my sunburst in my opinion...
I'll keep checking ebay for a vintage one and will settle on an AVRI if the search proves to be unsuccessful methinks.

[edit] ...and who could forget Orang Goreng, donnyII and flatfiver!
Last edited by mezcalhead on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.