Squier Mascis JM refin (Walnut)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Mascis JM refin (Walnut)

Post by 2fLAz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:39 am

shaggseb wrote:
2fLAz wrote:Superbe ! Bravo.
Au passage, tu peux me dire ou tu as trouvé ton starwax ?
Merci !!!
Merci, je l'ai trouvé à la petite quincaillerie au bout de ma rue dans le 92 ! Je ne pense pas que ça t'aide beaucoup, désolé...
ah pas de pbs, vais chercher sur le web :p

Anyway, such a great job ! France all the way down to Offset guitars !!!

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:08 pm

That is a seriously nice look. Always fancied a walnut with black pickguard.

shaggseb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shaggseb » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:52 pm

bubba899 wrote:That is a seriously nice look. Always fancied a walnut with black pickguard.
Me too since I saw this thread !

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 55#p250580

amv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amv » Sun May 18, 2014 2:40 pm

The walnut stain looks beautiful. One question, though, since I plan on stripping a poly/basswood Squier of my own for a refin: can you post some closer shots of the contours, or describe them at least? I almost feel like I see some faceted/sharpened edges in your last photo, and I'm wondering if that was a side-effect of sanding down the basswood body.

Like you, I'm concerned that I'll disrupt the body or contours during the sanding phase, and I was curious if you actually ran into that problem, or if it's just a quirk in that particular photo.

Great work, either way.

shaggseb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shaggseb » Sun May 18, 2014 9:23 pm

amv wrote:The walnut stain looks beautiful. One question, though, since I plan on stripping a poly/basswood Squier of my own for a refin: can you post some closer shots of the contours, or describe them at least? I almost feel like I see some faceted/sharpened edges in your last photo, and I'm wondering if that was a side-effect of sanding down the basswood body.

Like you, I'm concerned that I'll disrupt the body or contours during the sanding phase, and I was curious if you actually ran into that problem, or if it's just a quirk in that particular photo.

Great work, either way.
Hi and thank you,

yes the sharp edges are coming from my sanding of the veneer, it was rounder when it was there, but the mammoth thick poly rounded the body even more.

However, if your body is from a VM Squier, I believe the coats of poly are much more thinner on those one. But you still have to be be careful since the basswood is a very soft wood and over sanding is then very easy.

If I had to redo it, I'd use chemical stripper to avoid as much sanding as possible.

Good luck

S.

luisfrancesco
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by luisfrancesco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:54 pm

shaggseb wrote:
MatthewK wrote:When I saw the result after removing the ply from the front and back I thought "uh oh, this is not going to end well," and then the next shot it looked fantastic! Great job. Looks kind of like a rosewood body, even.
Thank you. Yeah I was skeptical too, but I think it's not too bad. I'm not quite fond of the satin finish or maybe it's just a matter of habit, time will tell !
sjperry54 wrote:Did you notice a difference in sound without that heavy layer of poly?
At the moment my amp is in our rehearsal space so I didn't had a chance to play it plugged. But unplugged, it seems to ring louder yes. And it's way lighter too, which is not a bad thing for my poor back

Hello, tu as vraiment sentis une grosse différence au niveau du poids? Bravo pour le boulot!

travisbrowning
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by travisbrowning » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:34 am

Came out amazing! I love Walnut!
https://lazarusband.bandcamp.com

shaggseb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shaggseb » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:02 am

luisfrancesco wrote:
Hello, tu as vraiment sentis une grosse différence au niveau du poids? Bravo pour le boulot!
Hello, autant que je me souvienne oui, entre le vernis et le plaquage en moins, j'ai du gagner 500g je pense, ce qui est pas mal.

Hello, as far as I remember yes, between all the poly layers and the veneer I removed, I think I gained something around 500g / 1lbs
travisbrowning wrote:Came out amazing! I love Walnut!
Thank you, but now I think about refenishing it in the kind of Olive Green Fender use on their new Jaguar/Mustang. I've always loved that kind of color and seeing it in real life helped to make up my mind. Might be my "it's spring and I'm bored" project.

BoxingXius
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BoxingXius » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:59 am

Love what you've done to your Mascis Jazzmaster. I really like mine as well but I think it's a bit too heavy and I also mainly use the neck pickup so I'm thinking of doing something similar to mine. Can I ask how much the guitar weighs now that the coat is stripped and one pickup removed? Thanks!