how to start as a guitar-diy-beginner?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
haesslich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

how to start as a guitar-diy-beginner?

Post by haesslich » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:26 am

is there any easy way?
i know that diy is not the way to safe some money compared to buying a factory-guitar.
but maybe it's a propper way to get a guitar exactly like i want without spending enourmous sums.
i'd like to start because as soon as i have some propper guitarplaying skills i'd like to put away my fenix strat copy and get some offset guitar. an instrument that catches me...
i tried the japan  jag and jazzy, but i don't like their colors and i like the building quality of the avri better. but i can't efford this.
so i think of building a guitar myself. but where to start?
is it usefull to get some crap-body on ebay and have first try in finishing? (i like natural finish most ;) ). or something else? my absolut nightmare would be to decide to buy parts for a selfmade guitar and fail building or mess up finishing...

Hellion
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: how to start as a guitar-diy-beginner?

Post by Hellion » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:18 pm

Are you in the US? Take a look at Reranch. People are all about DIY there. Research what you want first, then start lining up parts. I think you can build a custom shop quality guitar for way less than factory, simply because you can pick and choose the parts and throw in the free labor. Most of the cost of US guitars is to pay for labor. It's too bad the company skimps when they sub out to other countries.
What's he building in there?

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:24 pm

start by purchasing a plectrum / pick
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

haesslich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by haesslich » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:02 am

nope. german resident.
i know about the difficulties of importing from diy-electronics projects of some friends. import is only attractive if the value reaches a certain amount. well, the dollareuro ratio is a pro-argument at the moment...

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ugly casanova » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:10 am

http://www.amazon.de/Gitarrenbau-Eine-S ... 563&sr=8-8

i have that book, i'd sell it to you for 15 euros. deal?  :)
it's THE guitar crafting book on the marked and it tells you everything in detail.

haesslich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by haesslich » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:39 am

thanks for the offer!
i am still considering the pro and cons of starting diy stuff at all. i guess nobody can give me advice in this question ;)

guitartist65
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by guitartist65 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:43 am

Just do it.  There are plenty of kits to buy.  Get one and start there.  It will get you on the road.  If you make a mistake (which I doubt)  you won't be into the guitar for any big money.  Trust me, it's a good start for you!

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ugly casanova » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:17 am

yeah, seriously it's worth the work. if you went far enough to start a thread about that it must be a serious wish to build a guitar and not just a stupid idea...

haesslich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by haesslich » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm

yeah. i don't like the idea to spend nearly all my money i've into a guitar which color i don't liike THAT much and that may require some adjustments like shielding (like the cij fenders).
this is why i consider to spend all my money for a body in exactly my color, and a neck and build a guitar with the parts i trust in. -mhm- at least if something goes wrong i know whose fault it is ;-)

well after consideration of a few facts i came to the conclusion that i will never get into finishing. not the equipment, not the skills, too much of work to be disappointed in the end.  if building myself, than with a finished bought body and neck.

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ugly casanova » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:51 pm

damn, i finally wanted to get rid of that boring book  :-\ :-\

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:04 pm

In all seriiousness....  a diy guitar is not necessarily any cheaper than an off thye shelf fender/gibson/?? product

infact in my case it was more expensive.

If you are going to build it yourself then use the various threads here to work out what parts you need, where you can buy them , which is cheaper, what after market body/neck do you buy or do you buy a neck and body separtely off ebay etc.'

What ever you do, do not tink going down this road will save you $$$  it won't, but if you do start then lay out on paper what you need and then maybe start asking questions when you want to compare types of components.

Many people here (including myself) just jumped in feet first and learnt as we went along...
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...