NGD: New Guild Day. I Think I Have a Problem

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: New Guild Day. I Think I Have a Problem

Post by seenoevil II » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 am

I keep buying Guilds. I might need to switch forums. Don't all stop me at once.

1980 D-25

This just came in and appears to have survived shipping.
Well packed, but still in tune. Which is as impressive as it is scary.

This was somebody's baby. You can tell from the wear. I don't think they parted voluntarily. It's got secrets and a past (there's a decades old auction lot sticker on the case). But I'm not asking too many questions. Especially for what I paid. Maybe the deal of the week. Not the century.

There's the patented Guild parabolic death ray back dome. You can see the heal here. Note how thin it is. It's a had a neck reset. Pretty clean. It's odd because the neck angle is still positive to the plane of the top. But the action is great.

Beautiful condition overall. Plenty of "mojo."
Plays well. All notes sound well. Frets are a bit low from dressing, but the baseball bat neck makes it easy to get a grip.

The sound is fantastic. Blown away.

https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewto ... 9&t=120263
You might recall this recent post of mine. At the time, this seemed like a great guitar and a big step up from my Yamaha, and it was. But this one is a horse of a different color.

So loud, so complex. So rich. You know when you have a JM in the neck position with the amp just at the point of break up and you strum a big bar chord? Kinda like that?

Part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's from the south and I to get it through its first NJ winter.

But the best part...
Ultimate case candy.

I'm pretty hyped (or hype as the kids say)
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: New Guild Day. I Think I Have a Problem

Post by Scout » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Sweet guitar, a good friend had one back in the day and it suited his voice well. You really can’t beat a properly aged acoustic,
Vintage electrics are cool but acoustics can develop a tone that can’t be found in a new piece of wood, love it.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:12 pm

More! More!
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

schoolie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by schoolie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:39 pm

Sweet! I just bought a 1990 Guild D-15m and a recent M-40. Must be something going around.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:00 pm

schoolie wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:39 pm
Sweet! I just bought a 1990 Guild D-15m and a recent M-40. Must be something going around.
These are Guild days indeed. They don't break the bank and they're totally legit.

I haven't been going nuts with mine yet. Trying to ease it into the climate despite moving in the mild season.

schoolie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by schoolie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:06 pm

They are a fantastic value, although the prices seem to be creeping up. I'd love to get a jumbo before it's too late, but I've spent my discretionary funds for the year.

Hope you enjoy the D-25. It's a beauty!
Last edited by schoolie on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:39 pm

I totally approve! :-* :-* :-* :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:33 pm

Beautiful!!

Lately I've been bouncing giddily between my 5 year old M120 and my 45 year old D50. You just can't go wrong with Guild acoustics, even the newer models made in China.

I don't see any problem at all ;) Congratulations!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:13 pm

Congratulations!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Cornelius Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Cornelius Plum » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:24 pm

That's a lovely guitar! Congrats!

I share your love of Guild guitars: my number one acoustic is a sunburst D40 from the eighties. I also own two Starfires from the 90s.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Congrats buddy. Lovely Guild.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:24 pm

Thanks, everybody!

It's so nice to have a guitar that fits so well with what I want. Aesthetically, sonically. I see so many of these D25's D15's etc. for sale so cheap. I wonder if they're all this good. If they are, that's amazing!

Guilds are very cool. I think they're a brand whose value isn't so inflated by brand hype or resale speculation. That said, I don't think I'll lose money on a good one either.

I have a preference for soundhole pickups, but I think I'll go k&k mini on this guy eventually- just because it would feel wrong putting something in the sound hole.
IDK, no rush.

It would be an easier player up the neck for me with higher frets, but I think I'll let my hands do the adjusting for now. Unbound neck, so it'll be relatively cheap when that day comes.

This old bird was definitely somebody else's. My pictures don't get that up close and personal, but it looks like Troy McClure in HD. I don't know how long until it will feel like it's mine (if ever). But that's OK. "Fine then, keep your secrets." I kinda prefer the idea of getting something newish and putting my own wear into it, but the trade off is that I paid so little (like it's crazy).

It's motivating me to get some acoustic gigs. Maybe I'll even go all granola, put away the amps, and go from "indie" to "adult contemporary" or, as the kids say now, "indie."

Just the thing for autumn!

prospect
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by prospect » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:45 pm

Very nice

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:54 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:00 pm

I haven't been going nuts with mine yet. Trying to ease it into the climate despite moving in the mild season.
The climate concerns will almost certainly need the most attention in winter. This guitar moving from the south to the north is going to put it from a relatively natural humid location to one in which the winters are likely dry due to a combination of freezing temperatures and/or forced dry heat. I haven't been to New Jersey so it's hard for me to speak to it, but I assume that one or both of those factors will apply.

I know we had a big thread about this and I might be repeating what you've already read from me, but I always keep a hygrometer around to monitor the humidity in my home, I humidify my home as benefit to the plants and humans in it anyway, and if I am unable to keep the humidity in my actual home above 40% then I use inexpensive in case humidifiers.

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Acousti ... 156&sr=8-4

No need to worry much about this, it's all common sense stuff anyway and the best part is what is good for you is good for your guitar.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:56 am

Also I played a bunch of the new Guilds, including the Chinese made ones, last week. All wonderful. I especially liked the all mahogany D20 that they have, which sounded every bit as bright and lively as any spruce topped guitar. So much so that I can't quite see the point in buying it, but regardless, Guild just makes wonderful guitars.