Non-traditional strat pickup suggestions

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
SkiffleHanded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Non-traditional strat pickup suggestions

Post by SkiffleHanded » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:40 pm

sessylU wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:10 pm
Yeah, I started being a Billy Corgan fan, then I realised it was Eric Clapton's thing too. Now I'm waiting for the transphobia and racism.

Joking aside, Siamese Dream is one of my favourite albums and one of my favourite guitar tones. I built that particular guitar around the same time as I bought a MBM Dream Box and I had a great time playing them together.

But the red-silver-blue set also does so much more. It's really is a very good, very versatile set of pickups. They maybe get pigeon-holed a bit but they're a very good take on what a guitar should sound like.
It's funny you say that because the two players who are most well known for using them (Clapton and Corgan) have very different sounds and playing styles.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:48 pm

Aye, it was a joke. I don't think they sound anything alike, and I certainly have never noticed Clapton's tone much less tried to emulate it.

I suppose the fact of how different they are might speak to how good they are as pickups, in that they can do such different styles?
a total idiot jackass

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:55 am

How about a Firebird pickup in the bridge?

Just be sure to get an actual Firebird pickup, not a regular mini-HB, there's a big difference in sound. Definitely has character and sounds great clean and distorted. You'll like it if you like Neil Young's tone when he's playing solos.

How it'll sound in a Strat

SkiffleHanded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SkiffleHanded » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:58 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:55 am
How about a Firebird pickup in the bridge?

Just be sure to get an actual Firebird pickup, not a regular mini-HB, there's a big difference in sound. Definitely has character and sounds great clean and distorted. You'll like it if you like Neil Young's tone when he's playing solos.

How it'll sound in a Strat
I like this idea a lot! I've always enjoyed Firebirds when I've heard them.