Do you own a bass guitar?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).

Do you own a bass guitar?

Yes
95%
No
5%

Total votes: 80

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Do you own a bass guitar?

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:58 am

Bass was the first rock instrument I learned.

I play bass in a band, so kind of a requirement to have one around.

I can’t imagine being without one though.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:00 am

I own several, I've always been a bass player.

A fretless Jazz:

A G&L L-1000, best bass in the world:

Thunderbird:

A G&L Jazz bass and I used to own the L-1500:

And a G&L SB-1 that you can see here:

As you can see I'm a big fan of G&L basses.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 am

Sort of, I own a fretless Jazz bass, which I've had for years. I love it, but when I'm recording or working on something I always think that I really ought to have a "normal" bass that contains correct notes, instead of the atonal mess that is my fretless playing. I'm tentatively in the market for a fretted Jazz bass and I'm half thinking of the Squier V. Something about 5-strings gives me the ick, but as a studio weapon, it would be useful.
crazyzeke wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:45 am
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:49 am
Bass VI felt weird for me - tried it once in a store - but it was not convincing enough to be a guitar or a bass (for me) - but it sure is fun.
Yeah I like them but I find most players don't really know what to do with them.
I always understand that their main use was when a track didn't sound quite right, you stick some Bass VI in there and that fills the space/voices that you didn't realise needed filling. Sort of like Nashville tuning.
a total idiot jackass

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:05 am

sessylU wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 am
I'm tentatively in the market for a fretted Jazz bass and I'm half thinking of the Squier V. Something about 5-strings gives me the ick, but as a studio weapon, it would be useful.
I had a MIM Jazz V back in high school and it was a fantastic bass. I'm similarly ick'd out by five strings, but in a concert band setting it was a life saver. That low Eb was crucial for me.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:52 am

I’ve had a handful, from short scale, a couple VIs, Rickenbacker, P, J. Now just a Precision. I always liked the idea of a Jazz bass but never felt like they sounded how I wanted. There’s a bit more clarity and a little less fatness than a Precision. So a Precision it is for me.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:52 am
I’ve had a handful, from short scale, a couple VIs, Rickenbacker, P, J. Now just a Precision. I always liked the idea of a Jazz bass but never felt like they sounded how I wanted. There’s a bit more clarity and a little less fatness than a Precision. So a Precision it is for me.
Sometime i'm gonna try wiring my Jazz Bass like the series coil connection on a G&L. I think it'll be pretty fat sounding.
Instagram: thetonyballs

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:13 am

I started on bass. First instrument was a vintage Musicmaster Bass. Not sure what year it was. It was stolen when I was in my early 20s.
I have owned many. Mostly Jazz Basses, but my current one and only is an American Special Precision Bass. Black with a white guard.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:59 am

Yep.
Squier Vista Musicmaster Bass
Squier VI pink
70s Ibanez Rickenbacker 4001 copy
...and another "lawsuit" Jazzbass that's been I my cellar for years cuz I wanna give it to my older brother. He had one just like it at the very beginning. Was a huge influence to get me into music making, too.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:06 am

Yes, ‘76 precision 8)

Had a squier vintage modified jazz for years that was used for home recording. I planned to really learn the bass. Nope.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am

My Dad was a bass player (and sound engineer) and I too started on bass... well actually I played viola for many years when I was little; started electric bass in high school. I always loved the sound of electric guitars so I started trying to learn sometime in my mid-twenties... but even after a decade of intermittent playing and practicing I'm still so mediocre at it :D

For whatever reason bass has just always been more fun and intuitive for me. I have two:
A Japan-only release of the Fender Aerodyne PJ (that I switched to EMG's passive GZR pickups), and a Steinberger XP2 that I've been meaning to make a replica pickguard for with different pickups/electronics.

Jack

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
Sometime i'm gonna try wiring my Jazz Bass like the series coil connection on a G&L. I think it'll be pretty fat sounding.

That would be cool! It would be a neat, not invasive way to keep the right look but have the option of some extended tones. I’ve never been real sold on a combination of Jazz and Precision pickups in the same body. I love the way a Jazz Bass looks and the way the body feels though I’m actually not completely sold on the narrower nut width. That’s easy to fix if building one up from parts though. I’ve actually bought and sold a few Jazz Basses. Every so often I decide to try again :D I’ve done that with Strats too haha. I like them and they can sound great. I love what other people have done with them. But when it comes to myself, there’s just something that just doesn’t quite work out.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:52 am

I like the wider nut also. Most of the Jazz basses I have built have a P Bass neck on them. I really love the bass. I think my Rik is probably my favorite. It is so unique. I do really love P and J basses though. They can do very different things so it is hard to just pick one... so I don't...
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:55 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 am
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
i love sharin foo wrote:

That would be cool! It would be a neat, not invasive way to keep the right look but have the option of some extended tones. I’ve never been real sold on a combination of Jazz and Precision pickups in the same body. I love the way a Jazz Bass looks and the way the body feels though I’m actually not completely sold on the narrower nut width. That’s easy to fix if building one up from parts though. I’ve actually bought and sold a few Jazz Basses. Every so often I decide to try again :D I’ve done that with Strats too haha. I like them and they can sound great. I love what other people have done with them. But when it comes to myself, there’s just something that just doesn’t quite work out.
I wired a Jazz with a series switch a long-ass time ago, and the series position just sounds like a very large P-Bass. Really nice mod.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:55 am
i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 am
Dr Tony Balls wrote:

I wired a Jazz with a series switch a long-ass time ago, and the series position just sounds like a very large P-Bass. Really nice mod.
My Jaguar bass has this as a stock option in the lower switch plate. flick the switch that would normally be a strangle and the bass starts grinding the hell out of an input section :D Without the active stuff (which I never use) it's essentially a Jazz Bass with extra chrome...not a bad thing.

If anyone was thinking of doing the mod, I'd recommend it. Easy to wire on a push pull or something I expect.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:21 pm

There’s also the Moog Taurus option. A friend has one for his recording studio.

I’ve had 3. Down to just one, a red Jaguar bass from the 1st year they were available. A P-Bass copy that I resurrected from a dumpster behind a club. The electronics were held on by punk rock band stickers and duct tape, so it needed a new pick guard, missing the D string tuner, so replaced all of them with a new set, and the body paint had been removed, so I repainted it to match the red metallic headstock. It was a decent sounding bass when I was through with it.

I also had a vintage Rickenbacker 4001 for almost 40 years. It’s currently available at Emerald City Guitars if you have a spare $5k. A really great sounding bass.

1973 Fireglow 4001