Show your LAWSUIT guitars!!!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Show your LAWSUIT guitars!!!

Post by noisepunk » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 pm

22danielp wrote:
noisepunk wrote: Image
That's awesome... who made it?
Ibanez :D

You wouldn't believe how hard it was to figure that out- there are so many companies that did guitar similar to this one, but something was always a little different on them. I can't remember how I eventually figured out it was Ibanez, but sure enough if you look of 'Ibanez Rickenback 330 Copy' you find pictures of identical guitars.

I keep thinking I have a better picture of it- this really doesn't do it a justice- the finish is absolutely stunning (minus the parts where it's coming off...), especially considering it's a cheap japanese guitar.

Kinghat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinghat » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Stereordinary wrote:Now we're talking!

great looking guitar

22danielp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 22danielp » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:45 pm

noisepunk wrote:
22danielp wrote:
noisepunk wrote: Image
That's awesome... who made it?
Ibanez

You wouldn't believe how hard it was to figure that out- there are so many companies that did guitar similar to this one, but something was always a little different on them. I can't remember how I eventually figured out it was Ibanez, but sure enough if you look of 'Ibanez Rickenback 330 Copy' you find pictures of identical guitars.

I keep thinking I have a better picture of it- this really doesn't do it a justice- the finish is absolutely stunning (minus the parts where it's coming off...), especially considering it's a cheap japanese guitar.
That's crazy... I just googled it and you're right. See, guitars hold secrets too.
Crucify the insincere, Tonight, Tonight...

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:42 pm

So... funny story:

I went with my girlfriend to her last practice with a band she's been in for a couple months. We get there early, and the bass payer has been a friend of ours for a couple years, so we just kind of bum around his house while we wait (2.5 fucking hours- part of why she quit) for the other band members.

After a while, I notice this weird gibson hardcase in the corner, looks very 80's, very spaceship like. So I go over and open it up- I'm our friend's unofficial guitar tech, so he of course doesn't mind or care- and inside is a bright red lawsuit LP, that has seen better day. This thing is unbelievably accurate in it's attention to detail and level of craftsmanship, the only dead givaways are a 'Made In Japan' imprint on the neckplate, the fact that it has a neckplate (not set), and a blank headstock. Everything else for the most part looks 70's gibson. He was gifted it by a friend to gift to the other guitar player in this band who has been searching for a new guitar, however, it needs work, lots of work, so I offered to trade an Epiphone SG special(? two openfaced buckers, bolt neck, 1 vol, 1 tone), and he and the guitarist (once he showed up) accepted. It was a great playing epiphone, so I don't feel bad, but I also wasn't using it, so no spilt milk either.

No pictures yet, but I'd like help identifying this thing. It's clearly 70's, supposedly was bought in australia (could help, could not), japanese, has 4 ply w/b/w/b body binding and pickguard, rounded block fake MOP inlays, and peeling gold 'gibson' humbuckers (metal stamped impression- might not be original to the guitar, but they look it.) the pickguard is mounted using some kind of weird mounting system. Not a whole lot to go on, but it might be just enough.

Pictures when I can :)

22danielp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 22danielp » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Sounds interesting... Please post those pictures up when you get a Chance.

In Australia we get a lot of Japanese guitars floating through, so I'll see if I recognise it.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:08 am

I think the pickups in these are gibsons, not just stamped it :derp:

I opened it up, because the stamped covers were odd to me, and first of all they have metal sheilding, second the patent number on the underside (sticker) matches up for a late 70's T-Bucker (?). The tuners on this thing also aren't original (don't match up with the screw holes that were left unfilled), and are also stamped gibson. Could these two sets of parts be authentic replacements from yesteryear?

22danielp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 22danielp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Whoa, that's a nice surprise.
I've never heard of a "T-Bucker" either. :wtf:
I think you're right in saying that they are authentic replacement parts... pretty cool eh?

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:47 pm

A very nice surprise indeed. I don't know if t-buckers are the correct word, I googled those and they're open faced zebra pickups.

It's a set of these:

Which I found on here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-T-TOP-Pa ... 241wt_1620

Which was the sale of ONE of these pickups... :wtf:

I got the guitar I traded for this FOR FREE.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:08 am

A lot of those old lawsuit geetars come with upgrades and tuners and pickups are the most common as the original appointments sometimes left a lot to be desired. I was thinking "Epi SG Jr. for a lawsuit LP?" until I read the bit about the Gibson-etched humbuckers. Sounds like you got a great deal there. Pics, please.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:31 am

alain wrote:Ibanez Lawsuit
called silver series. Japan in 1978.
fretless
the bass was stopped after trial justice.
Have the exact same bass, though with frets and branded "Vega Power"
Very cool bass, got it for 50 bucks a few years ago. (due to the fact it has a small portion of it's headstock missing, which I repaired)
Only replaced the Pu for a SD vintage for P-bass, kept the rest original. Never knew it was actually an Ibanez... :)

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:27 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:A lot of those old lawsuit geetars come with upgrades and tuners and pickups are the most common as the original appointments sometimes left a lot to be desired. I was thinking "Epi SG Jr. for a lawsuit LP?" until I read the bit about the Gibson-etched humbuckers. Sounds like you got a great deal there. Pics, please.
Truth be told, it's a better guitar acoustically too. They're both bolt neck, but the lawsuit is otherwise a very faithful copy, and I'm not sure what wood they used but it's certainly the right weight, and it resonates nicely and all that jazz. The epiphone wasn't bad, but it sounded pretty dead when it wasn't being played through a healthy amount of overdrive.

Caleb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Caleb » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 am

This hollowbody started my guitar acquisition habit. I'd just graduated from university, got a grant to go to grad school and for the first time felt like I had money that wasn't going to be spent right away on tuition, so it was the perfect time to get a new electric and stop fussing with my unreliable first guitar.

From what I can tell, these things were manufactured in Korea and sold in Australia and New Zealand. I got it in Edmonton, Alberta from somebody moving to New Zealand who had put on upgraded tuners and the Bigsby for a bit more than the cost of the Bigsby. Not knowing anything worth anything about guitars at the time, I actually hesitated on that deal but man am I glad I went through with it in the end. If I could only have one guitar, this would be it.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 am

Caleb wrote:This hollowbody....If I could only have one guitar, this would be it.
It'd be good if you shared the name on the headstock with us. Part of the point of this thread should be to tip those of us who habitually scour small ads and flea markets off about lesser-known names worth looking out for.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:32 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Caleb wrote:This hollowbody....If I could only have one guitar, this would be it.
It'd be good if you shared the name on the headstock with us. Part of the point of this thread should be to tip those of us who habitually scour small ads and flea markets off about lesser-known names worth looking out for.
or i just ask ulric if hes seen any.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by badform » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Here's a couple that I have. Neither are technically lawsuit guitars (as has been pointed out), but they fit the spirit of the thread.

First up is "Big Red (Bertha)". A late 80s/early 90s Burny Custom. Her name comes from the fact that she weighs in at nearly 12 lbs!

Next up is a late 70s or early 90s Burny "Super Grade" (their version of a Les Paul Standard). This one had SD Pearly Gates pickups wired out of phase when I got it. It's my favorite LP.

Here's both of 'em side by side with a pair of Gibsons and an Epi. Aside from the name on the head, anyone would be hard pressed to tell that they're not Gibsons.