NGD - Eko J56 12-string Acoustic....

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: NGD - Eko J56 12-string Acoustic....

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:50 am

OK so what is best method to post pix please?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:04 am

brownman wrote:OK so what is best method to post pix please?
In order to post pictures on the forum you need to use a hosting site like imgur, ImageShack or Photobucket.

Photobucket & ImageShack have started charging for use so you'd be better off using somewhere like imgur.com if you want to have visible pictures on this thread. I just switched to them & they're free & super easy to use.

If you already have pics stored online that have links then feel free to post them instead.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:37 am

thanx porky, will do...

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Guys, I've just bought a Ranger 12 from a boot sale for cheap money.

http://imgur.com/QeKA8Yf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:00 am

hmm, i thought the pictures would appear viewable in the thread... ?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 am

Did you upload them all to imgur? I can only see one in that link in the above post.

If you've posted a few in imgur, click on each one & in the righthand column beside it there'll be a BBcode option. I use this code to post images. Just copy & paste the links to the post you're typing & they should show up.

Sometimes (and this might've just been with Photobucket) if you "Preview" a link before you click "Post" you end up breaking the link (it adds dots to the middle of the line, making it un-usable). With this in mind, after you've previewed your typing, re-paste the links before you post it.

Hope this helps.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 am

From what I can see so far, you've got the makings of a 60s Eko 12 string, the electric ones tend to be the most desirable too.

Look inside the body. There should be a label that'll either have RANGER or J56. Either way, I doubt it'll make much difference to the value.
You're missing a pickguard too. If it's a J56 it should have a 2-ply black/white one. Otherwise it should have a dark brown one.

I think a lot of this guitars characteristics are mentioned in this thread so check back & see which bits match.

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 am

This is my Ranger 12, just got it from a boot sale for cheap, I'm really pleased with it, especially as it came with a gorgeous (60's ?) Hofner gold foil soundhole pickup fitted - lovely sound to it plugged in!! Judging by the pickup and associated wiring etc this must have been fitted a looong time ago, so I wonder if it might possibly be a J56 rather than a Ranger 12??
It had modern replacement tuners but I've replaced these with NOS from Brandoni.
I'm looking for help to work out it's rough age/era please, although I'm wondering if it's a bitser. I'll post the pictures up which I think show identifyable features for any help in this. So here goes...
The paper sticker in the sound hole is missing apart from a remaining small corner which shows it to be the square type with the corner scrolls rather than the oval type like my Ranger 6.
The neck plate is missing but, although it not easy to see from the picture, I can see it was the square shape rather than the usual tapered type. The screws and washers are brass and I wonder from this if it's had a neck change in the past?
It has an ally nut and saddle, the neck is 3 piece and has been broken near the head and repaired decently a long time ago. It doesnt appear to have ever had a scratch plate fitted although I think maybe it was removed very early on so the gold foil would fit easier.The truss rod cover is 3ply black/white/black but doesnt say made in italy, and the headstock is the black fronted type with the black/white laminated EKO logo.
There is no plastic strap plug but an off-centred chrome strap button matching the one near the neck.
So guys, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I wonder if it is mainly original or neck/body transplant?

Here are some pictures:
http://imgur.com/QeKA8Yf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/oWVKHB0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/R4JhSpI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/i9AgMB5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/wXOCJU0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i.imgur.com/QeKA8Yf.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/oWVKHB0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/R4JhSpI.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/i9AgMB5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/wXOCJU0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope i've done that right...

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:17 am

Here you go BB coded

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 am

Gaah!!! I just checked back & am reminded about the shit show that Photobucket has left us all with.
All those "PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BLAHBLAHBLAH" place-holders used to be pictures until the fuckers changed their policy!

I'm actually going to try & fix this thread because it might be quite a useful reference post. Check back in 15 mins & hopefully this thread will look a little better.
Agreed though, yours is a bit of an enigma. All sorts of little changes have been made.

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:50 am

ok yea cool porky, ah so that's why i couldnt see none of the previous images, doh... cheerz d00d

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 am

An enigma is a good description, I think the electrics were an after-fit, not by Eko, but fitted pretty much at the beginning of its life by the original owner. Do you reckon it might be the original neck or a later one refitted??

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:06 am

brownman wrote:An enigma is a good description, I think the electrics were an after-fit, not by Eko, but fitted pretty much at the beginning of its life by the original owner. Do you reckon it might be the original neck or a later one refitted??
OK, the thread's been fixed. What a pain in the arse that was!

Maybe have a read & see if anything about my old non-electric one matches yours.

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:56 am

Yep i've gone back over the thead pictures and I'm thinking it's a 60s Ranger 12 body - (ie the bridge, the rectangular neck plate tide mark, and the gold foil pickup and wiring) - I don't think it's a J56, (although I rather hoped it would be) which has had an early/mid 70s neck replacement (3 piece with block inlays and laminated EKO logo) which has been put on later. That would explain the missing neck plate and screws, replaced with non-conventional brass screws and washers.

The body has no lacquer cracking, it aint pristine, but hell, it plays nice... :) and that Hofner gold foil pup looks and sounds complete and utter horn (Ry Cooder stylee). I payed £40 for it and the NOS tuners from Brandoni cost £35, so all in for 75 squids I'm very happy.

Maybe I should post up pix of my early 70s Ranger vii because I think it prob all stock original.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 pm

You did very well, getting it to where it is now for £75.

I've always loved Eko Rangers. I've never had the kind of money it'd take to get a decent "players" 50s Gibson & many of the 60s ones I've tried have sounded exceedingly average. Eko Rangers, for the money, are an absolute winner!! They can definitely compete with guitars worth over 10 times their average cost. They make no sense either, being how they're constructed (laminated wood, bolt on neck, thick lacquer, adjustable bridge) but sound so rich & warm!

I actually sold the J56 a few months ago. It was fun restoring it but I realised I'm not much of a 12 string player & it was really just gathering dust. I too have an early 70s Eko Ranger that sounds amazing. Now that I also have a late 70s Guild D50, the Ranger tends to sit in the background but I actually got it out the other day (now that my ear's tuned in to the Guild) and it comes pretty close. It's not as pronounced & obviously less sharp/more warm because of the mahogany. The Guild's spruce & rosewood.

There are a few people on the forum who've picked up Rangers for under £100. I think they've all been very happy.