I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Awww, shit! This Les Paul Studio is the appetizer?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:29 pm
Awww, shit! This Les Paul Studio is the appetizer?
Maaaaaaybe. :ph34r:

Oh, speaking of the Les Paul Studio, it came with ridiculously tiny strings on it: .08-.38! The only person I every knew who played strings that slinky was Robert Quine. I was sure they were going to just up and fly away.

Oh, and the guy strung it so that the tuners (which are really nice Grover Rotomatics) turn reverse to every other 3x3 headstock.
Last edited by Maggieo on Tue May 14, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Oh, and the guy strung it so that the tuners (which are really nice Grover Rotomatics) turn reverse to every other 3x3 headstock.
Almost every time I take delivery of a new (old) guitar, I am reminded of why civilization is at such high risk of collapse right now :fp: I had one a while back where the strings were wrapped around the tuner shafts about 75 times. No shit, the wraps were more than 2 complete layers deep. I mean, who does that?
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 14, 2019 6:00 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 pm
Maggieo wrote:

Almost every time I take delivery of a new (old) guitar, I am reminded of why civilization is at such high risk of collapse right now :fp: I had one a while back where the strings were wrapped around the tuner shafts about 75 times. No shit, the wraps were more than 2 complete layers deep. I mean, who does that?
Me, the first time I ever restrung a guitar. A Peavey T-60, in white, no less. :unsure: :-[
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:52 pm
Incidentally , there are products like this that I would use if I was going to be shielding a guitar from scratch:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Les-Paul-Switc ... 3130!US!-1
I just saw this at the bottom of that listing:
Note: Les Paul Studio bodies are too thin, this shield will not fit without major changes to the part. We advise against trying - please check your body thickness should be 50mm - 2 inches to accommodate the shield.
I had no idea they were thinner.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Tue May 14, 2019 7:31 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:45 pm
I guess this is now an NGD thread (again), but I'm going to give the LP Studio its own thread after I do some work on it; which will be an Emerson wiring harness, Duncan Antiquities pickups, a pickguard, a new switch, and lining the cavities with foil. I might put the Studio's electronics in my Tokai Love Rock, since it's got mini pots.

So, here's the studio, right out of the box!

Great neck, just under 9lbs., roasted Maple fingerboard (reminds me of the feel of Ebony, but looks like Rosewood).

That's a great looking Studio. HNGD! I couldn't resist on reasonably good deal on another DC Special from mid '2000s (I have a TV Yellow of the same model that I love). Will not give it a NGD thread, but here it is, for all that are wondering " do I need an LP".

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 15, 2019 4:19 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 pm

I had no idea they were thinner.
They are- or at least some of them are, by an eighth of an inch or something. I had no idea that product wouldn't fit, though. I had missed that, my apologies.

I doubt that you'd really notice the difference between this product and copper shielding anyway.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 am

PixMix wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:31 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:45 pm
I guess this is now an NGD thread (again), but I'm going to give the LP Studio its own thread after I do some work on it; which will be an Emerson wiring harness, Duncan Antiquities pickups, a pickguard, a new switch, and lining the cavities with foil. I might put the Studio's electronics in my Tokai Love Rock, since it's got mini pots.

So, here's the studio, right out of the box!

Great neck, just under 9lbs., roasted Maple fingerboard (reminds me of the feel of Ebony, but looks like Rosewood).

That's a great looking Studio. HNGD! I couldn't resist on reasonably good deal on another DC Special from mid '2000s (I have a TV Yellow of the same model that I love). Will not give it a NGD thread, but here it is, for all that are wondering " do I need an LP".

I got one of those in cherry 6 months or so ago and it's been a real treat. It always surprises me that they aren't more popular, because I find them a lot easier to get around on than SGs.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 am

I got one of those in cherry 6 months or so ago and it's been a real treat. It always surprises me that they aren't more popular, because I find them a lot easier to get around on than SGs.

I like their control placement (that SG has inherited), as it leaves the whole upper bout free, and you hit no switches if you want to go all-out with strumming. Plus the thinner body and the comfortable weight - can't beat that. This has become my favorite Gibson body shape, originally designed in 1958, if I remember correctly.
Last edited by PixMix on Wed May 15, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed May 15, 2019 7:22 am

PixMix wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 am

I like their control placement (that SG has inherited), as it leaves the hole upper bout free and you hit no switches if you want to go all-out with strumming. Plus the thinner body and the comfortable weight - can't beat that. This is my favorite Gibson body shape, originally designed in 1958, if I remember correctly.
Agreed, it looks awesome. And yeah, trading an 11 pound LP Custom-type for this was certainly a gift for my back!
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed May 15, 2019 10:35 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 pm
Maggieo wrote:

the better question is "who manufactures strings that long?"

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Wed May 15, 2019 12:09 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:35 am
the better question is "who manufactures strings that long?"
Man that's exactly what I thought... wtf...
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed May 15, 2019 12:45 pm

I am getting my first Gibson Monday. It isn't a Les Paul, but it is pretty cool. I am excited to have my first one. I have owned a few different Les Paul style guitars like Agile, Epiphone, and ESP. I am excited to see what the real deal is like. (And vintage at that!)

Your Les Paul looks great! For the cavity space and shape, I would rather work with paint than tape, but that is just a personal preference. I am not really a big fan of the tape. I always cut up my fingers trying to pull the backing off and I am not super confident in is staying stuck in place. The paint is easy to do and I can't see it falling off or anything. :) Only thing I personally like using tape for the the pickguard because it is pressed against the body anyways so I don't worry about it coming up.

The metal tubs would be awesome for sure. Kind of like the Jazzy tubs. I would love more stuff like that. Pre shaped so you can just press it in and bolt the electronics in.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Congratulations on your first Gibson!

So, what is it?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Happy Gibbys to all!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

That DC looks fantastic; congratulations!