I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by HNB » Wed May 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:52 pm
Congratulations on your first Gibson!

So, what is it?
That lovely metallic green refinned 1965 Melody Maker from Rio. :) He and I worked out a trade. He is excited for what is coming his way and I am excited to give a real Gibson a try. :D I really liked my Epiphone SL and it has a thin body that I would guess is similar to this one. Having upgraded tuners, bridge, and pickup are all wins from what I have read about these. :D Gonna call it Joan.

Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed May 15, 2019 2:39 pm

HNB wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:12 pm
Larry Mal wrote:

So, what is it?
That lovely metallic green refinned 1965 Melody Maker from Rio. :) He and I worked out a trade. He is excited for what is coming his way and I am excited to give a real Gibson a try. :D I really liked my Epiphone SL and it has a thin body that I would guess is similar to this one. Having upgraded tuners, bridge, and pickup are all wins from what I have read about these. :D Gonna call it Joan.

Yeah! Rock that baby!!!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 15, 2019 6:44 pm

HNB wrote:
That lovely metallic green refinned 1965 Melody Maker from Rio. :)
Aww yeah.

Y'all are inspiring me to dig into the stupid tuner issue on my Les Paul. There's a song I'm tracking soon that's would really benefit from some LP/Marshally rhythm toanz.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 15, 2019 7:04 pm

HNB wrote:
Larry Mal wrote:

So, what is it?

That is a solid guitar, and I thought about making a move on it, so congratulations!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks! Should be able to do a NGD post Monday or Tuesday if all goes well. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed May 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Every tuning issue I've even encountered has been solved by the application of HB2 pencil graphite.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Wed May 15, 2019 8:42 pm

HNB wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Thanks! Should be able to do a NGD post Monday or Tuesday if all goes well. :)
Hmm, maybe I need to make a trip to Puyallup soon...

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu May 16, 2019 8:54 am

For sure! :D
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Sat May 18, 2019 12:59 am

Interesting thread- congrats to those won over by the GAS, hope you enjoy! those modern gloss studios do look delicious, i love that recent "tangerine burst" colour especially.

My relationship with gibsons (the mac just autocorrected that to gibbons- believe me that's a whole other story) is very different to my relationship with fender, dunno why. In my first 15 years of playing i was just a 1 guitar man, with a spare- owned 3 strats in total and no other guitars from 1994 ish until 2008.

In '08 when the buying frenzy started, i bought a les paul- unseen- second hand, AFTER splitting with fiancee (story not good enough for reddit). It arrived, i loved it, had a bit of buzz so took it in and had a fret dress and set up, and its been perfect. It's a '97 studio, fat neck, rosewood board, 16 tonnes (no idea on the actual weight but perhaps heavier than my CBS strat) but its just perfect. Its worn through the nitro on the upper bout and theres knocks and bangs everywhere, so been well used in the past. I've only looked at one other LP since buying that guitar- just because I love green and had a chance on a gecko burst standard. Too rich for me tho!

With fenders / squiers (i love squiers equally) I've owned loads of the things!!! 20 maybe? keep chopping and changing etc, trying different models. When I need to play some rock, i just pull out the LP and off I go. And I don't seem to GAS for another........ or to try a different model.

I will admit that when I started seeing current girlfriend who let me keep a couple of guitars at her flat, I have since bought another gibson for that end, but it's not a les paul- I just don't feel i need another.

Anyhow sorry for going on, just thought I'd share that.......

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Sat May 18, 2019 2:18 am

I'd never talk anyone out of buying a Les Paul.
I'd certainly talk them into buying one.

My jazzmaster is heavier than both my Les Pauls. So the weight argument is a furphy.

Actually was playing a 2019 LP standard 60's the other day. Very Tempting.
I bought another strat though. (maintain equilibrium).
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat May 18, 2019 8:20 am

BlueSparkle wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:18 am
I'd never talk anyone out of buying a Les Paul.
I'd certainly talk them into buying one.

My jazzmaster is heavier than both my Les Pauls. So the weight argument is a furphy.

Actually was playing a 2019 LP standard 60's the other day. Very Tempting.
I bought another strat though. (maintain equilibrium).
The weight thing can be easily mitigated by smart shopping. My LP Studio weighs about the same as my JM Jag. The SG is almost dead even with my '82 1962RI Strat.

ChristheRat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChristheRat » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 pm

DesmondWafers wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 am
I'm in an even worse situation...I want an explorer. I don't play anything even remotely RAWK, but they just look so cool to me.
I just recorded a not too rocky album with my explorer. Mostly clean the whole way through. Also recorded 3 hardcore albums with it. Most versatile guitar ever. Had mine for 13 years and it’s traveled around the world with me and I’ve grown to hate how it looks haha, but the sound and playability is incredible.
Things are more like they are now, then they ever have been.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:21 am

I posted these in the NGW tread, but not everyone who reads this thread may read that one, so here's the Studio and the Love Rock after the wiring and pickup swaps:

Les Paul Studio Gibson Guitar, June 24, 2019 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Les Paul Studio Gibson Guitar, June 24, 2019 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Tokai Love Rock Guitar, June 24, 2019 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Tokai Love Rock Guitar, June 24, 2019 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

For me, that Cherry Sunburst only looks right with Zebra pickups, so I'm well pleased.

Per Larry's suggestion, I'll be putting a Faber ABR bridge on the Studio (and my SG Classic/Special). The Tokai is an odd beast, because it has an Ash body (!), which turns out to be a great thing- in the Studio, the 490s weren't exactly the greatest, but in the Tokai, they're a perfect match! They've lost the muddiness and the weird, harsh top end. :w00t:

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:49 am

Is this a safe space to say that I’ve been gassing for a black LP custom or R0 for such a long time...?

I used to have an 80s Ibanez LP custom w/bolt on neck. It played amazingly and had great PAF sounding pickups. I put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge for a bit and it was delicious. I loved the thin neck. But it just wasn’t an LP.

I bought a black studio, but it was awful. The neck was uncomfortable and the pickups were so weak. Hasn’t put me off the dream.

spaceritual
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spaceritual » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:48 am

I've just bought a Les Paul -- only an elderly Epiphone Custom --

It's heavy for sure but not too different to one of my Jazzmasters

Sounds great and the neck feels great -- why have I never had one before.?

Except for one thing -- a question for all LP owners or past owners..... how do you put up with something so uncomfortable ?

That top edge of the body cuts into my arm and it feels like you have a paving slab under your arm.

Even a Telecaster feels more ergonomic and I hate them.
It's a pity 'cos the sound is great and it's good to play sitting down but standing up -- jesus !