let's see them "lawsuit"/copy/rip-off guitars!!!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: let's see them "lawsuit"/copy/rip-off guitars!!!

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:52 am

sumlin wrote: Image

Arbiter SG Custom
very cool! i used to have an arbiter LP jr, it was a fantastic guitar. but at the time i wasn't digging the p90 sound so i sold it, for practically nothing... DOH! ::)

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:31 am

Nice to see some Antoria'a getting an outing - I used to have an Antoria 330 copy (no centre block and two humbuckers) with a varitone switch and a maple neck with blocks. You could control the (unavoidable) feedback pitch by just wandering round in relation to your amp. Long ago traded in, sadly...

The Edwards LP JR (and the baritone, for that matter) was sold in order to finance my JM, but was a lovely little guitar while I had it, and the best JR I've ever played. Still got the Cimar (Ibanez's maiden name) tele at the top of the pic though: ace guitar, when I stripped it to refin it a couple of years ago, I discovered it has a mahogany body. Now got a GFS Ric-style humbucker in the neck, and a brawny 60's style tele bridge p'up. Love it to bits, although I may have to part with it soon...

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:44 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
sumlin wrote: Image

Arbiter SG Custom
very cool! i used to have an arbiter LP jr, it was a fantastic guitar. but at the time i wasn't digging the p90 sound so i sold it, for practically nothing... DOH! ::)
I used to have a lawsuit LPJr and like a lot of lawsuit guitars, the pickups were just bog standard single coils under the P90 cover. Same goes for some of the humbuckers in other models. Also, the Les Paul Jr ones are often priced at a premium because they have 'set necks' - when you take the pickups out you find they're basically bolt ons but from the inside. A neat trick...

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:31 am

Yep - the old neck HB on my tele was just a metal slug under a HB casing - perversely, it sounded the business until it crapped out, as did the weird-y lipstick bridge pickup. The Antoria 330 had a bolt on neck, but wore it proudly on the outside. Suited me just fine, as I prefer bolt ons.

smacca
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by smacca » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:04 am

'76 Greco Tele Deluxe.... (apologies for the shitty camera phone pics)

awesome guitar... great feel, sound,, all that...

Jaded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaded » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:50 am

Cimar strat.. my first guitar still love it but i dont play it much anymore

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:29 am

My Les Paul copies:

They're very decent guitars once they had a good setup. Basically, they're Epiphones. I use the goldtop quite a lot, but I'm waiting for some good Gibson humbuckers coming in the mail to upgrade the burst one. For now, the Epiphone humbuckers in there a very muddy and I don't like them at all. Not really bad pickups, just not a sound I like at all. They're just fun guitars to have around and make a good change from my Fenders once in a while.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:34 am

This is the " BELWOOD" I had. Plywood Cherry red SG copy from the 60ties. One of my first guitars. Later rebuilt it with leftover CIJ Jazzmaster hardware and pups and sold it. Played and sounded decent after the rebuilt.

This one is also quiet nice, not really "lawsuit" but a Teisco EP-2 a  ES335 copy. I got the body from a friend who found it in the trash. Later I found a neck from a Univox Custom (60ties ES335 copy) it fitted the body nicely. Guitar was nice, but the neck was too narrow for me. Sold it recently for €160... Not the modified Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge I made for it :)
Last edited by ohm-men on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

Rich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rich » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Oh, I love that Teisco hollowbody! Especially the headstock!

Bryherb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bryherb » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:37 pm

My 3 lawsuit Guitars:
From left to right:
Aria Pro II LP Custom copy, it has a glued on 5 piece lam neck! a nice poly finish(like all of course), multi solid wood sandwiched mahogany body like the Gibson Norlin era, MOP or could be plastic rectangular inlays, a typical Gibson pickup ring fits on this guiatr w/o modification. There's a set of Duncan humbuckers in this, I don't know what model(s)
Kent 335/330 copy, does not have the solid block of wood running down the middle, has a 3 piece bolt on neck, pearloid rectangular inalys, bigsby copy, the pickup rings did not match that of a typical Gibson so I had to fashion pickup rings out of laminated black plexi, the pickup rings were flimsy black plastic and even the dims of the import HBers did not match that of a Gibson. I ended up installing a set of P90 in a humbucker size Kent Armstrong pickups from WD Music Products because their good reasonably priced units and it's a "Kent" part.
Univox Barney Kessel copy, it has a glued on 3 piece neck, spruce top which I don't know if it's solid or ply, I bet it's ply, like the Kent this one had the same whacky offsized pickups and pickup rings except they were stamped out metal so I made new ones like the Kent, I ended up installing a set of DeArmond Goldtone pickups I got off Ebay because I wanted somethnig other than a PAF look, they're kinda microphonic but they sound great for jazz fingestyle.

On all 3 there are new frets, bone nuts, Grover Rotomatic tuning keys, new CTS pots, Switchcraft switches and jacks. and Gotoh TOM bridges. I let my clients strum on these to sample my work and see how a cheesy import guitar can be made a stellar player if they wish to put some money in theirs.

Here's a closeup of the BK copy neck pickup ring I made, it was fun filing and fitting the bottom to conform with the arched/curved top:

Bryherb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bryherb » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:41 pm

Here's pic of a "Lawsuitproof" Gibson copy. I don't know where I found this pic:

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:02 am

I forgot to mention:

I REALLY NEED AN ARM AND A SPRING FOR THE TREM ON MY LAWSUIT SG!

If anyone has one, please sell me it. They're basically the same Bigsby knock-offs on all of the 'lawsuit' guitars so if you have some spare bits knocking about let me have 'em! (Please)

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:30 am

sumlin wrote: I forgot to mention:

If anyone has one, please sell me it. They're basically the same Bigsby knock-offs on all of the 'lawsuit' guitars so if you have some spare bits knocking about let me have 'em! (Please)
I have a link for chew:

http://www.axiomatic-music.co.uk/acatal ... ieces.html

How's that?

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 am

benecol wrote:
sumlin wrote: I forgot to mention:

I have a link for chew:

http://www.axiomatic-music.co.uk/acatal ... ieces.html

How's that?
Nice one! I'll investigate!

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:38 pm

My "Gibson" Les Paul Custom from the 70's.  ::)  It's actually a really sweet playing guitar.  100% counterfeit.