“Oh yeah, that made me want to be a guitarist...”

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: “Oh yeah, that made me want to be a guitarist...”

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 pm

^^^

Live at Budokan is as good a reason as any. Great rekkid.
This is an excellent rectangle

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:31 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 pm
^^^

Live at Budokan is as good a reason as any. Great rekkid.
Quoted for truth. :-* :-* :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:43 pm

I remember the first time I listened to it. There was a comic/record shop when I was in high school that sold LPs for a buck each regardless of what it was or what kind of condition it was in. I picked up Budokan with the booklet and everything on a lark, took it home, and had a "holy shit" moment. It's been one of my favorites ever since. It also taught me a valuable songwriting lesson: "what would Rick Nielsen do?" Whenever a chord progression puts me in a corner and I dunno where to do from there, I back out of it by playing it backwards and it always sounds right. :D

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:25 am

jesterpunk68 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 pm
Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's Nevermind album when it came out in 1991 was the first time I wanted to play. The music was so simple and sounded so good and felt like it was real compared to the hair metal bands on tv at the time.
I can relate 100%. A few weeks after I first heard the album I broke open the proverbial piggy bank, and the next time my mother took me shopping at the supermarket I bought the cheap beginner guitar set they had. It was a really crappy no-name sunburst Strat copy, and I'm fairly sure it's responsible for my long-standing hatred for Strats.
Create art, not content

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:39 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:43 pm
I remember the first time I listened to it. There was a comic/record shop when I was in high school that sold LPs for a buck each regardless of what it was or what kind of condition it was in. I picked up Budokan with the booklet and everything on a lark, took it home, and had a "holy shit" moment. It's been one of my favorites ever since. It also taught me a valuable songwriting lesson: "what would Rick Nielsen do?" Whenever a chord progression puts me in a corner and I dunno where to do from there, I back out of it by playing it backwards and it always sounds right. :D
That is brilliant, and I'm stealing it for my own work!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:00 am

cmatthes wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:59 pm
For me, it was this:
it's impossible to overstate how much impact Budokan had on those of us "of a certain age." Rick Nielsen didn't teach me to play guitar (that came later with Peter Buck & Willson-Piper/Koppes), but he sure taught me to play air guitar - :D
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Something/sometime between this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rw1_FNdy-Y

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cPXwc-5Kw8

I heard the latter one in my parents car when I was 15 years old on a trip to the west coast and was gobsmacked.

TinyEv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TinyEv » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Watching my Dad play when i was growing up made me want to play guitar from earlier than i remember. But seeing Nirvana play on a UK tv show called The Word is what made me stick at it.

https://youtu.be/fXo7OlOJba0
Give the anarchist a cigarette

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:32 pm

TeenageShutdown! wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:05 pm
The first music format I bought was Eric Clapton Unplugged on cassette back in grade 8. I bought it because of the cover, which in hind sight is odd because it’s a pretty generic cover. I also didn’t really know who he was either. After listening to that I wanted to play guitar. Over the years I’ve done a complete 180 & I’m not much of fan of his stuff aside from his Yardbirds stint.
That‘s funny! As Clapton Unplugged was also the first „guitar hero“ I listened to - as a kid at my father‘s place on cd or in his car on tape, alongside with Tom Waits‘ „Blue Valentine“ - (Romeo was Bleeding is still one of my favorite tracks from him).
Layla was one of the first songs I remember learning - and oh, how irritated I was, when I first listened to the original. :derp:

Soon after that there were DIE ÄRZTE and WIZO (german punk bands) and KRAUTSCHÄDL (Austrian Rock Band with a crazy slapping Bassist, singing in dialect) and yes, also the movie School of Rock that came out the same year - so this inspired me to play electric guitar. I honestly don‘t really listen to any of them anymore (except for Tom Waits) but I‘m thankful for their input.

Once I had an electric guitar (first I borrowed a cream white Squier Strat from my older cousin, then I soon received my Epiphone Ebony Les Paul Classic) there soon were Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jimi Hendrix to watch over me and offer guidance! ::)

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:32 pm
TeenageShutdown! wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:05 pm
The first music format I bought was Eric Clapton Unplugged on cassette back in grade 8. I bought it because of the cover, which in hind sight is odd because it’s a pretty generic cover. I also didn’t really know who he was either. After listening to that I wanted to play guitar. Over the years I’ve done a complete 180 & I’m not much of fan of his stuff aside from his Yardbirds stint.
That‘s funny! As Clapton Unplugged was also the first „guitar hero“ I listened to - as a kid at my father‘s place on cd or in his car on tape, alongside with Tom Waits‘ „Blue Valentine“ - (Romeo was Bleeding is still one of my favorite tracks from him).
Layla was one of the first songs I remember learning - and oh, how irritated I was, when I first listened to the original. :derp:

Soon after that there were DIE ÄRZTE and WIZO (german punk bands) and KRAUTSCHÄDL (Austrian Rock Band with a crazy slapping Bassist, singing in dialect) and yes, also the movie School of Rock that came out the same year - so this inspired me to play electric guitar. I honestly don‘t really listen to any of them anymore (except for Tom Waits) but I‘m thankful for their input.

Once I had an electric guitar (first I borrowed a cream white Squier Strat from my older cousin, then I soon received my Epiphone Ebony Les Paul Classic) there soon were Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jimi Hendrix to watch over me and offer guidance! ::)
I’m a Waits fan as well. He had some gem toons in the ealry day, if you dig the beatnik poetry & jazz stuff he was doing. Romeo is Bleeding is great. Burma Shave & Postcards From A Hooker always stood out to me.

In my younger days I was a huge Pearl Jam & Hendrix fan. Now I couldn’t be bothered with either. I would be satisfied with No Code, Electric Ladyland, & Axis: Bold As Love in my collection & nothing more from them. I also had a white Squier Strat too back then.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:04 am

TeenageShutdown! wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 am

I’m a Waits fan as well. He had some gem toons in the ealry day, if you dig the beatnik poetry & jazz stuff he was doing. Romeo is Bleeding is great. Burma Shave & Postcards From A Hooker always stood out to me.

In my younger days I was a huge Pearl Jam & Hendrix fan. Now I couldn’t be bothered with either. I would be satisfied with No Code, Electric Ladyland, & Axis: Bold As Love in my collection & nothing more from them. I also had a white Squier Strat too back then.
Yes to Tom Waits!
I don‘t love everything from him - but yes, he has very deep and poetic songs. Bone Machine and Real Gone make my too 3 with the already mentioned Blue Valentine...Also Marc Ribot‘s guitar playing is very inspiring.

No Code was also the first PJ album I listened to! :) still among my top 3 - but I don‘t listen to them regularly, Hendrix the same... great inspiration - I also bought two records some time ago - for the collection - but I basically listened to it two or three times since I have it.
With RHCP - they led me to John‘s solo stuff which led me to Ataxia which is way my favorite of his discography!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:39 am
mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:43 pm
That is brilliant, and I'm stealing it for my own work!
No joking, it's probably the best trick I've ever learned and I stole it from "Surrender". And it's so simple you slap your forehead. "I walked into a dead end. Go back the other way. OF COURSE!"

JagTango
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JagTango » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:12 am

When I was a kid.... walked into the record store and saw the cover of KISS Alive!
I knew nothing about them, I just bought it based on the cover, ever since then I've been playing guitar.

As a teen, someone put on Skynyrd's first album at a party, dang!
I went out and bought all their albums the next day - my playing style is highly influenced by them.

danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danbind » Mon May 06, 2019 3:35 pm

My family had moved to a little rural town the year I started high school, and I started hanging out with some musician kids in French class, but that didn't quite do it. Then I heard "Just What I Needed" by the Cars on the radio, and it was like a bolt of lightning--"I wanna learn to play GUITAR!"
remember / to kick it over

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 09, 2019 1:39 pm

I may get some hate for this, but my first inspiration was Ace Frehley of Kiss. I had my parents buy me the Alive! 2 album when I was about 8 or 9, I think it was my first album. I listened to that album to death, and I loved Ace's playing. Kiss is pretty meh, as you get older and learn about the other music of the time, but Ace did put some cool into their music. Kiss was also my first concert, the Dynasty tour, I think.

Ace's solo album is still a classic.

From there, there are too many to mention, but it was Ace that fed the passion of playing guitar at a pretty young age, even though I didn't get a guitar (bass) until I was 12. Maybe that time helped prime the passion, who knows?
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.