“Oh yeah, that made me want to be a guitarist...”

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: “Oh yeah, that made me want to be a guitarist...”

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 am

countertext wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:06 am
^ What is MCR?
Yeah, this.

Way too much TLA usage, which provides far TLA (the opposite of TMI) to be understood.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:53 am

In this case, I believe MCR is My Chemical Romance. I've never been a fan of abbreviations for this reason: too easy to get confused or just not understood. We get that at work at all the monthly meetings. It's SO much more obnoxious on the corporate level.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:40 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 am
countertext wrote:
^ What is MCR?
Yeah, this.

Way too much TLA usage, which provides far TLA (the opposite of TMI) to be understood.
I kinda almost understood that MCR post from Sean (without wanting to hear a nanosecond of it or wanting to see their faces I could never tire of punching), I was however fully at sea when reading his recent treatise on Pokemon breeding which is more complicated than the exploded diagram of Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection I was trying to understand last night that had me crying for the nanny I never had.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:40 am

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:40 am
andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 am
countertext wrote:
^ What is MCR?
Yeah, this.

I kinda almost understood that MCR post from Sean (without wanting to hear a nanosecond of it or wanting to see their faces I could never tire of punching), I was however fully at sea when reading his recent treatise on Pokemon breeding which is more complicated than the exploded diagram of Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection I was trying to understand last night that had me crying for the nanny I never had.

D
I have friends who are WAY into the whole Pokemon thing, it's a couple and they don't live together so whenever a new game comes out they literally take a weekend off from each other and stay home playing the new game. I am in no way saying that video games are unhealthy blah blah but they're both incredibly physically unhealthy / inactive and can't participate / always complain about our friend group activities that involve even mild exertion. This limits our friend interactions to dinners, drinking and board game nights which can get boring especially when the weather gets good. We live in an area of outstanding natural beauty so we try and get out hiking / on mild nature walks as much as possible in the summertime, needless to say they always have a convenient excuse why they can't come. It's really sad as they're both lovely people with great personalities but I fear for their health in later years.

Pokemon gets really statistically heavy when you get into EV training and Breeding. It's basically using maths to get the best possible Pokemon out of seemingly random variables. Personally I was far more excited for the fact that there was mention of job prospects for Sean in the original post than anything else.

Anyway to get the thread back on track my Dad played guitar and always had one in the house so it was kind've inevitable for me, embarrassing as it is this was the first song I remember being like ''Yeah I want to learn how to play that'' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-DzuDaT25I
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:35 am

I was jealous of my little sister and dad taking classical guitar lessons, but I wanted to play rock music. So when I was like ten or so my dad got me a cheap guitar and a little amp (a blackface Fender Vibro champ!).

Gave up after a few years. At some point I heard the Pixies, and I figured that playing in a band wasn't as hard as I had thought.

jesterpunk68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jesterpunk68 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's Nevermind album when it came out in 1991 was the first time I wanted to play. The music was so simple and sounded so good and felt like it was real compared to the hair metal bands on tv at the time.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:32 pm

I have an older cousin who has played bass for as long as I can remember. It started me out on Metallica pretty early. By that time ...And Justice for All was most current LP. But I loved all Cliff’s playing already. Newstead was and still is a great player, but it was Cliff that really struck me. All I wanted to do was learn to play bass. Eventually my mom gave in, but her caveat: I would start lessons, but with GUITAR :fp: The rest is history! SO, I guess my answer is that I never wanted to be a guitarist!! All these years later and my admiration for Cliff Burton has never waned. It still upsets me when I think of what he could have done had he been able to stick around a bit longer.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:58 pm

jesterpunk68 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 pm
Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's Nevermind album when it came out in 1991 was the first time I wanted to play. The music was so simple and sounded so good and felt like it was real compared to the hair metal bands on tv at the time.

I mostly listened to 90s rap until I was around 11 or 12. My buddies started getting into guitar and I was interested in what they were doing. Up until that point I didn't know what was making the sounds in music exactly. I was first turned on by Lynyrd Skynyrd's freebird. Then, I found Nirvana which gave me a hunger for offsets..the rest is history...Even my early guita musical tastes

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:22 pm

as cheesy as it is, this is probably what made me want to start:

my first three bands were very much influenced by the misfits.

Fendereedo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fendereedo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:42 am

This made me want to play, although I wouldn't dream of trashing guitars. This to me was unlike anything I had ever seen. Pure raw punk rock at it's best.
https://youtu.be/qjN5uHRIcjM

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:25 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:40 am

Pokemon gets really statistically heavy when you get into EV training and Breeding. It's basically using maths to get the best possible Pokemon out of seemingly random variables. Personally I was far more excited for the fact that there was mention of job prospects for Sean in the original post than anything else.
well for me, breeding for my shiny mareep (pinkpants) was kinda a casual goal. i basically spent 30 mins per night before bed trying for it and tweeking things. i basically said to myself "30 mins per night and no more" where as the apprentiship was a big deal and it's really what i want to do with my life. so it's a bigger deal. on the upside, i passed the 2nd interview.

back to other musicians who really had an impact on me when i was learning guitar. greg sage from the wipers. in a world where punk was the same 3 british punk bands or endless american pop-punk, greg stood out in the best possible way. watching him play that upside down SG with such ferocity was just amazing.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Nirvana’s Bleach and Nevermind and some friends who had started playing.
My dad gave me his old Fender acoustic and a vintage Musicmaster Bass and I got to work learning all the songs and jamming them with my buddies.
I played mostly bass at home and in bands for the first six years until someone stole my bass in 1999.
Luckily I had gotten a telecaster for Xmas in 96, so I switched to guitar.
I started experimenting with tunings rather early and a friend suggested I check out Sonic Youth.
That led me to discovering the greatest Fender of all time, the Jazzmaster.
I also went through an Iron Maiden phase between Nirvana and Sonic Youth.
I found much of it cheesy, but the melodies and harmonies in the lead work inspired me and I would spend hours learning it all on my Tele. Never liked any of their contemporaries in the genre. Just Maiden. Adrian Smith and Dave Murray really had some magic going on.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:53 pm

These guys.
This is an excellent rectangle

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Where as the apprentiship was a big deal and it's really what i want to do with my life. so it's a bigger deal. on the upside, i passed the 2nd interview.
Awesome news Sean, hope you get it!
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:59 pm

countertext wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 pm

Killer solo by...Neil Geraldo!

For me, it was this: