“Oh yeah, that made me want to be a guitarist...”

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: “Oh yeah, that made me want to be a guitarist...”

Post by Nudger » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:43 am

Saw a blood red 335 Dot in a pawnshop window.. Just thought wow! That looks beautiful.

I had a fiew quid spare so bought it.. Prior to this I had had no interest in playing guitar.

Then again, Some might say I shouldnt have bothered ;D

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Andy Summers.

I bought Ghost in the Machine in middle school and liked it. Taped off all my brother's Police albums and bought I Advance Masked. I was already learning acoustic in early high school when I saw a friend's garage band bang out half of Outlandos d'Amour at a party. That's when it hit me that I could do that, too.

I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Thu May 06, 2021 6:03 am

LVC wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:25 am
jesterpunk68 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 pm
Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's Nevermind album when it came out in 1991 was the first time I wanted to play. The music was so simple and sounded so good and felt like it was real compared to the hair metal bands on tv at the time.
I can relate 100%. A few weeks after I first heard the album I broke open the proverbial piggy bank, and the next time my mother took me shopping at the supermarket I bought the cheap beginner guitar set they had. It was a really crappy no-name sunburst Strat copy, and I'm fairly sure it's responsible for my long-standing hatred for Strats.
Same
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu May 06, 2021 7:47 am

vistavision wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:09 pm
Andy Summers.

I bought Ghost in the Machine in middle school and liked it. Taped off all my brother's Police albums and bought I Advance Masked. I was already learning acoustic in early high school when I saw a friend's garage band bang out half of Outlandos d'Amour at a party. That's when it hit me that I could do that, too.

Count me in on that. Andy is the start of my obsession with Telecasters.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Thu May 06, 2021 2:22 pm

Hearing this: The mightiest riff of riffs!

The Animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-43lLKaqBQ

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:59 am

I grew up loving music. Always singing, or tapping out a beat. In my house my mom had music going on from morning till supper time, usually country or 50/60's pop standards, but music none the less. We were in a rural area, and to get anything was a 45 minute drive. Always music in the car too. My older siblings were always playing hard rock, new wave and country, respectively. My brother married a Welsh girl when I was 6 or 7, so some more music got thrown into the mix there too (I inherited their record collections when they went to CD's in the late 80's, Depeche Mode, The Jam, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc, along with his AC/DC, Queen, Nazareth, etc).

My mom got me lessons on playing a hammond organ when I was 8 or 9. I didn't want to play polka's because none of what I listened to had that sound, so it didn't really take. I loved the sound of guitar, but the late 80's guitar heroics were intimidating, so I never pursued it.

Flash forward to the fall of 91 when I was 12 and I heard Nirvana. After hearing how easy Nirvana was supposedly, I picked up a cheap guitar at a flea market with strings a half inch off the fretboard. I got frustrated and into the closet it went. This did however start getting me into underground music, and to have an awareness of guitars in general.

Finally in the fall of 93 I went to pick up Nirvana's follow up to Nevermind, but I got the date wrong, and went to buy it the week before it was released. I grabbed a copy of Spin that had Nirvana on the cover to read while I waited for my ride home. I read the Nirvana article and it mentioned Sonic Youth and Fugazi among other bands. I remembered seeing Fugazi's new album, In on the Kill Taker in the store where I went to buy In Utero. I got into the Butthole Surfers from another Kurt interview. It was cheap and I decided to take a chance on it. It had me from the first feedback/toggle switching. The next week I added the only Sonic Youth album in stock, Dirty to my purchase of In Utero. Again, unlike anything i'd heard before.

That was it for me, those two albums, Fugazi's In on the Kill Taker and Sonic Youth's Dirty. I bought a cheap Silvertone electric and horrible, horrible 70's solid state amp shortly after, and stubbornly stuck to learning guitar.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Fri May 07, 2021 1:34 pm

Steve Harris on the intro to Iron Maiden's The Clairvoyant. Honestly, just Steve Harris all over Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Started as a bassist, got into guitar mostly because I wanted to write my own stuff and the range of a guitar in D standard worked better for me.

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Fri May 07, 2021 3:18 pm

"After Bathing at Baxters," "Green Tangerine," and the Ventures... and the guitars in the Sears and Lafayette Electronics catalogs in 1967 and 1968.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:34 pm
Steve Harris on the intro to Iron Maiden's The Clairvoyant. Honestly, just Steve Harris all over Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.
That albums is so good. I can ignore their entire catalogue except for that one.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 am

mcbrandt wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 am
HarlowTheFish wrote:
That albums is so good. I can ignore their entire catalogue except for that one.
Honestly if you dig Seventh Son then I highly highly recommend Somewhere in Time, it's the same kinda sound but a bit less prog and a bit more rock. That's my favorite era of Iron Maiden, and it's killer.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue May 11, 2021 9:28 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 am
mcbrandt wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Honestly if you dig Seventh Son then I highly highly recommend Somewhere in Time, it's the same kinda sound but a bit less prog and a bit more rock. That's my favorite era of Iron Maiden, and it's killer.
I'm going to check this out. I've avoided their entire catalogue except their first two because I prefer the raw sound of Di'Anno to the over-the-top sound of Dickinson. Dickinson's fine, and the band is still cool, but I'm not that into prog.

I wish I could say I wanted to play guitar for some better reason, but it's really just because I saw Jimmy Page strutting around in the moon suit and doing stuff with a bow/theremin.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Tue May 11, 2021 9:33 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 am
mcbrandt wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Yeah, I got into Iron Maiden as a kid through "Wasted Years" (??) off Somewhere in Time cause of the video on MTV. I'm familiar with all their stuff pretty much up to the early 00s, but I don't ever have a desire to listen to any of it outside of Seventh Son except for Rime of the Ancient Mariner.