all of the sudden i love strats

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: all of the sudden i love strats

Post by panoramic » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:58 am

Telover wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:48 am
panoramic wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:45 pm
it sucks, i think i spent like 20 years hating on them and i hate to admit having fallen for one but it totally happened
It must be the coronavirus effect ;D
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:59 pm

my strat is the only guitar i've never sold. it's a 1997 MIM strat i've had since it was new. love it to death and its quality was a lot higher than the MIM standard series they sold back then.

i've used it in every band i've been in.

neck+bridge mod became the big key for me once i started getting bored with a strat. it's SUCH a good sounding position.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:04 pm

hexes wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:59 pm
my strat is the only guitar i've never sold. it's a 1997 MIM strat i've had since it was new. love it to death and its quality was a lot higher than the MIM standard series they sold back then.

neck+bridge mod became the big key for me once i started getting bored with a strat. it's SUCH a good sounding position.
I also have a '97 MIM strat, kinda - it was a Squier from whatever brief window when they made them in Mexico and just put cheaper hardware and electronics on there. The neck is fantastic, and mine accidentally was made from flamed maple. I took it off the strat body and used it to make my first Jazzmaster over a decade ago, with a Warmoth body.

Still have it, actually working on a new build with that neck. It lives on.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:24 pm

I unapologetically love strats. Managed to buy what I thought was an 83 Dan Smith 2-knob strat but later turned out to be an 84 and it has the most comfortable neck on any guitar I've ever played.

I'm currently building a strat that I was going to add the on/off neck switch to but the more I'm thinking about it the more I'm coming round to the idea of using the second tone pot as a blender.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:25 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:04 pm
hexes wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:59 pm

I also have a '97 MIM strat, kinda - it was a Squier from whatever brief window when they made them in Mexico and just put cheaper hardware and electronics on there. The neck is fantastic, and mine accidentally was made from flamed maple. I took it off the strat body and used it to make my first Jazzmaster over a decade ago, with a Warmoth body.

Still have it, actually working on a new build with that neck. It lives on.
that run of squiers were great! gold and black logo, right? the forums were abuzz way back in the 2000s about them. the neck on my strat is absolutely astounding. i've never played another strat with this neck shape, and it beats on every american strat from that era. i want to clone it, legitimately. it has received complements from some seriously pro guitarists and backline technicians. i keep it as a backup guitar at my venues whenever a strat player is performing.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:28 am

Yep, gold and black logo. I love that neck so, so much. It was the second golden age of Squier after the JVs IMO, but I don't hear them talked about nearly as much.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Mark’s incorrect wiring of the neck DiMarzio blade bucker (maybe out of phase?) is really great, especially with the rest of his rig and playing style. Kinda makes me... want a strat... (that was hard to admit)

https://youtu.be/hr7ScpVj1QY
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

hamletpowpowpow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hamletpowpowpow » Wed May 13, 2020 9:00 pm

I've been hating on strats for at least 30+ years. It's the guitar for dads, wankers, bar bands, Clapton, and John Mayer. The guitar for bros and basics.

And then suddenly, out of nowhere, I want one. Kurt Cobain, Andy Gill, Justin Broadrick, Tonie Joy. All strat players, all unique and amazing.
I've also turned 40, became a dad, and suddenly find myself watching Floyd's Live in Pompei. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Have I gone insane?? I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a Mod shop one with a black headstock.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Thu May 14, 2020 7:09 am

hamletpowpowpow wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:00 pm
I've been hating on strats for at least 30+ years. It's the guitar for dads, wankers, bar bands, Clapton, and John Mayer. The guitar for bros and basics.

And then suddenly, out of nowhere, I want one. Kurt Cobain, Andy Gill, Justin Broadrick, Tonie Joy. All strat players, all unique and amazing.
I've also turned 40, became a dad, and suddenly find myself watching Floyd's Live in Pompei. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Have I gone insane?? I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a Mod shop one with a black headstock.
Hahaha, love Live at Pompei and just watched it recently (on VHS!). And if that wasn't enough, Floyd just came on my CD player as I was reading this.
Anyway, I was the same way. Strats were ubiquitous and boring as hell. Then I found a Squier Affinity at Goodwill for around $9, and just really fell in love with the thing. Of course this was after I was 40 too so maybe there's some kind of correlation.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 14, 2020 8:17 am

My first guitar was a Squier 2 Strat, and it was the most godawful thing. It made me think that I hated Strats for a long time.

I later had an AVRI Strat, which I never should have let go. I would like another.

At present, though, my Strat needs are more than satisfied by my excellent G&L Legacy:

So don't forget about those! Anyone looking for a Strat might find a good deal on a used Legacy. They play great, but different, mine has wide frets and a 12" radius and such. The vibrato unit is tremendous on these.

Mine is pretty modified, it's got Wilde neodymium Microcoil pickups instead of the Alnico, and I had a switch installed for seven way switching. It's tremendous.

I traded a silverface Fender Twin for it, thinking I could sell and ship a guitar a lot better than I could a 120 pound Twin. Immediately upon playing it I fell in love with the guitar, though.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:26 am

I'm really regretting not buying a strat in highschool for $350. Who'd have thunk mexi strats would be a good investment?

I have a bad old days MIK squier strat that becomes my go to for about 6 months every 5 years (did that make sense?).

I love strats. So much possibility tone wise and so much power in the neck pup. You really could make any kind of music with a strat. I'd love one where the 2&4 positions were wired with the same pickups but in series like HBs.

Also, I love the norm-corp aspect of strats. It's the electric guitar and thus just an electric guitar. They're the default guitar. You are saying nothing about yourself by playing a strat. Nobody can knock you for playing a strat...except us from 10 years ago.

In high school, there was this "cool substitute" teacher guy. He was nice, but seemed like a tool and would bring up his band.

I said, "You strike me as a strat guy."
And said, "Wow, you're right! "

He'll never know that I meant it as an insult. What a peice of shit I was. I wish I could go back in time and bully myself.

But offsets are so popular now that they're a little passé, so the really hip contrarians are checking out strats again and going, "oh crap, these are great!" Or, at least, I am.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:40 am

This is the Strat i had mentioned earlier in the thread. 1987 Korean made. I think first year.. 🤔

The neck is badass. I no longer mind the truss rod being on the headstock, and dont care that the tuners aren't Kluson style.. I even find the weird looking string trees charming.

I just bought a clear guard for it, and a mounting plate for the pots. :whistle: :w00t:

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:29 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:40 am
This is the Strat i had mentioned earlier in the thread. 1987 Korean made. I think first year.. 🤔

The neck is badass. I no longer mind the truss rod being on the headstock, and dont care that the tuners aren't Kluson style.. I even find the weird looking string trees charming.

I just bought a clear guard for it, and a mounting plate for the pots. :whistle: :w00t:

nice one. I had the exact same one as yours not that long ago. I hastily sold it but i miss it. my current strat is a lake placid blue MIM, but there was something about the blue finish on that squier that makes me wish i still had it. It had a real vibrance and brightness that makes my current blue feel like grey in comparison.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:54 pm
Yeah, that happened to me too some years ago.

The fact is they are excellent instruments that sound great and do everything well. You can fight against that for as long as you want, but that simple truth will be there waiting for you regardless whenever you are ready to accept it.
The strat can do everything. Blues, shoegaze, metal, surf, indie, jazz. With that said, I haven’t found the right one yet.

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:39 pm

I did!

:)
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc