all of the sudden i love strats

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: all of the sudden i love strats

Post by Nudger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:37 am

Im to blame for both.. They are the same guitar.

This was my first ever attempt at routing.
All done with a drill n chisel.
Looks ugly under the guard/plate but it did the trick, Ive improved a lot since.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:20 pm

Played my Strat for the first time in a while today.

I think the magic of a Strat dirty is the clean initial attack, with the dirty sound blooming and filling in behind it.

I was actually able to get dynamics out a Rat that I haven’t been able to get with other guitars.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:32 pm

It took me a while to click with Stratocasters. The one that worked for me is the Fender American Vintage '65. I had a Dakota Red one initially, sold it, then down the road found my Shoreline Gold with matching headstock. A key mod for me with all my Strats is the 7-way mod, which includes enabling bridge and neck pickups together, resulting in a nice, buttery Duo-Sonic kind of tone of which I can't get enough.

I like to put together parts builds, so I bought a Fender Vintera '50s Stratocaster Modified in Daphne Blue body and a chunky U-shaped Fender Licensed Strat neck. I put in a set of Fralin Hum-Cancelling Strat pickups in this beastie:

I put the stock VIntera '50s Strat Modified pickups in my Squier Classic Vibe '50s Stratocaster, a minor, but nice upgrade with these brighter pickups.

I was infatuated with the Fender Parallel Universe II Jazz Strat when I saw the Fender demo on YouTube. I traded my Fender AV '52 Roasted Maple Telecaster and was not disappointed. I consider the Parallel Universe II series of guitars are as close to a Custom Shop build-level Fender as I'll likely ever get (unless I find a really great deal on a used one). I just bought another FPU II guitar (arriving tomorrow!) - more on that in a Non-offset guitar talk NGD soon). There's nothing I don't appreciate about the Jazz Strat. :-*

I'm all set for Strats at this point. :whistle:

However, I'd consider getting a used Custom Shop or maybe a Dave's Guitar Shop '62 Series Limited Edition American 1962 Reissue Stratocaster. I'd have to move some gear first, though. 8)
Last edited by Surfysonic on Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:17 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:32 pm
A key mod for me with all my Strats is the 7-way mod, which includes enabling bridge and neck pickups together, resulting in a nice, buttery Duo-Sonic kind of tone of which I can't get enough.
When I had a couple of strats (I want one now too, but well, money...) I would make the controls Master Volume / Master Tone / Neck blend. That way I could roll the neck into the bridge position if I wanted to, and like you said, it sounds outstanding. Probably the best sound a strat has.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:34 am

Jonesie wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:17 am
Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:32 pm
A key mod for me with all my Strats is the 7-way mod, which includes enabling bridge and neck pickups together, resulting in a nice, buttery Duo-Sonic kind of tone of which I can't get enough.
When I had a couple of strats (I want one now too, but well, money...) I would make the controls Master Volume / Master Tone / Neck blend. That way I could roll the neck into the bridge position if I wanted to, and like you said, it sounds outstanding. Probably the best sound a strat has.
Nice! My guitar tech did that same mod for my AV '65 Strat. The Vintera '50s Strat Modified with the Lindy Fralin's has the 7-way via S-1 switch volume mod done by Lindy, and the Squier CV '50s Strat has the Vintera '50s Strat Modified pickups and stock S-1 switch volume and tone pots.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Jazzmackster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmackster » Sun May 16, 2021 8:30 am

That neck/bridge Strat tone is a good one for sure. I’m not big on the 2 or 4 position sounds so sometimes I’ll keep the wiring intact with a 5-way but swap the neck and middle pickups in the pickguard.

Makes switching a little awkward but gives a RWRP neck/bridge option in place of bridge/middle.

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Mon May 17, 2021 3:56 pm

Never thought I need a Strat until I decided to order a few different ones out of impulse. Ended up settling on a Squier CV 50's. The bridge hits just right with some OD, brighter than a Jaguar or a Mustang but not shrill like a Telecaster. I miss the honky tones you get from out-of-phase pickups, though.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:59 am

Didn't really like Strats at all...but an Aztec Gold MIM model a few years back was a lot of fun to play. I was raving about it to my other half who wanted to trade her Epiphone. When we got around to going to the store that had it, it had sold! :fp:

I've been wanting one hardcore for almost a year but finances aren't where I'd like them to be, so...

I really dig the EOB Strat. The neck is fantastic. I'm also really intrigued by the Jimi Hendrix Strat with it's reverse angled bridge pickup and reverse headstock. But I'd take a Player if someone gave me one today, LOL

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 am

I guess I own a Strat now:

It's an American Special in walnut... which is fucking brown, but I guess if I was in Fender's marketing I'd call it "roasted chestnut" or "country acorn" or whatever else would keep me employed.

Not sure how long I will have this, I need to get it set up and then I can evaluate. I read a review that indicated that it has a millimeter wider neck than the American Standard series, so I will like that.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:33 am

Put a black guard on that! Such chocolate! So mocha!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:39 am

countertext wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:33 am
At some point I'll get a aluminum pickguard... what do you think, should I go black, or maybe a gold? I thought the gold might look OK on there also.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:39 am
countertext wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:33 am
At some point I'll get a aluminum pickguard... what do you think, should I go black, or maybe a gold? I thought the gold might look OK on there also.
To hell with gold, go brass. Embrace the 70s. Brass guard. Brass Saddles. Brass Nut. Brass Strings.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:21 pm

Really not a terrible idea...

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:19 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 am
I guess I own a Strat now:

It's an American Special in walnut... which is fucking brown, but I guess if I was in Fender's marketing I'd call it "roasted chestnut" or "country acorn" or whatever else would keep me employed.

Not sure how long I will have this, I need to get it set up and then I can evaluate. I read a review that indicated that it has a millimeter wider neck than the American Standard series, so I will like that.
Surely the colour would be Organic Country Acorn. ;)

Beautiful looking Strat, although you don’t sound too excited about it!
I’m not sold on the pick guard swap idea - white/parchment is classic.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:57 pm

JVG wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:19 pm

Surely the colour would be Organic Country Acorn. ;)

Beautiful looking Strat, although you don’t sound too excited about it!
I’m not sold on the pick guard swap idea - white/parchment is classic.

It's a nice guitar and all, I just can't see any real need for it. I already have a G&L Legacy that I posted above, I spent a lot of time making it be a perfect guitar for me, and it plays like a dream in my hands. I just don't see what this one adds.

Frankly, I got a trade offer for a Gretsch, it might not even be around tomorrow.

The only reason I have it is because I was trying to sell it for a buddy, and it wasn't moving, so I offered to buy it from him. It gave him some financial comfort and allows him to keep yet another guitar that was on the block, one that he wants more.

To me it's just a pawn.