NGD: Cort Hiram Bullock Signature

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

NGD: Cort Hiram Bullock Signature

Post by Maggieo » Thu May 14, 2020 9:19 am

Last week I finally got my Gubmintcheez, and, of course, it was burning a hole in my pocket. Because I have a problem. :fp:

I was going to do my best and spend it on house fix-up stuff, but then a guitar popped up in my Reverb feed (the Reverb Feed is my pusherman.). Holy cow, a Korean-made (Cort makes Rivoltas in their factories, so the Korean guitars are prized for their quality) Hiram Bullock Signature showed up for...wait for it...$200.00USD! :wtf: This one’s got a swamp ash body with a super thin finish, a Birdseye maple neck and fingerboard, Wilkinson hardware and trim, and mighty mite pick ups.

So, great guitar at a great price. Also, I have a small, but meaningful, connection to Bullock.

Back in 1984 I went to a taping of Late Night with David Letterman (Teri Garr was the guest and Dave did a bit about a salad bar vacuum), and I got to meet the band! Hiram Bullock, Will Lee, Steve Jordan, and Paul Shaffer, all took the time to sign autographs and talk music, gear, and life, to a goofy kid from Nebraska. All of them were great. So, not only is this a really great guitar, it’s a living memorial to one of my guitar heroes that I actually got to meet. (The entire band are heroes to me, really.)

Anyway, here it is:

The trem arm needs a grub screw, the tone control is MIA, and it needs a setup. Otherwise, it is in great shape, and the "open pore" finish is great. You guys know how I loves me my thin and rustic finishes. I'm not entirely sold on the Mighty Mite pickups, but I'll reserve judgment until there's a proper tone control in the circuit. I might wire it with an S-500 style switch that let's me have the neck and bridge PUPs on and the center one off.

Heh- this could be like the $18.00 dress that I had to put a $20.00 zipper in! :fp:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Cort Hiram Bullock Signature

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 am

Damn, that’s nice and a piece of cool history, especially a personal one. I have a couple of Ibanez Soundgear 5 string basses that were made by Cort, that I bought about 15 years ago or so. They’re not the top of that line, im sure, but they’re nice, and mostly what I use now when I do play bass.

I thought that Anton Fig was the drummer in The World’s Most Dangerous Band (seems like was their name), that played with Ace Frehley on his famous KISS solo album. Was he gone at that point, or am I scrambling memories?

Anyway, nice score! Hopefully you don’t need to mod it much, just a little repair work. I like the Wilkinson hardware, friend had a Strat Plus with the saddles and the roller nut, I loved it.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 14, 2020 9:52 am

That looks like like a hell of a guitar for $200.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu May 14, 2020 10:01 am

somanytoys wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 am
Damn, that’s nice and a piece of cool history, especially a personal one. I have a couple of Ibanez Soundgear 5 string basses that were made by Cort, that I bought about 15 years ago or so. They’re not the top of that line, im sure, but they’re nice, and mostly what I use now when I do play bass.

I thought that Anton Fig was the drummer in The World’s Most Dangerous Band (seems like was their name), that played with Ace Frehley on his famous KISS solo album. Was he gone at that point, or am I scrambling memories?

Anyway, nice score! Hopefully you don’t need to mod it much, just a little repair work. I like the Wilkinson hardware, friend had a Strat Plus with the saddles and the roller nut, I loved it.
Anton replaced Steve in The World’s Most Dangerous Band after a couple of years. About the same time that Sid McGuinness replaced Hiram (who was deep into addiction and was missing gigs), IIRC. The really sad thing about Hiram is that he got clean, only to get throat cancer, which eventually killed him. :'(
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu May 14, 2020 10:02 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:52 am
That looks like like a hell of a guitar for $200.
I'd recommend one in a heartbeat. But it has to be a MIK one.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 14, 2020 12:43 pm

Oh, okay. So they were the originals. Gotcha.

That is a shame to hear about him getting cancer and dying from it. Even cooler that you got his relic and will appreciate it.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu May 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Guys, I just noticed that Hiram is an OFFSET!!!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri May 15, 2020 8:47 am

Offset!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 pm

It reminds me of an Ibanez Roadstar, but sleeker.
I like it.
It's definitely offset. Nice! Add it to the non Fender offset list.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue May 19, 2020 8:50 pm

I think it’s pretty dope.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 pm
It reminds me of an Ibanez Roadstar, but sleeker.
I like it.
It's definitely offset. Nice! Add it to the non Fender offset list.
Thanks, guys!

Looks like the tone pot is shot and will have to be replaced. Otherwise, pretty good. The "quack" positions are great for funky rhythm stuff, without being too quacky. And the 'buckers LOVE my wee Marshall.