Replacement saddles for a Telecaster, help!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Replacement saddles for a Telecaster, help!

Post by Jan Deal » Mon May 18, 2020 1:12 am

I have a lovely 2006 Fender USA '52 Reissue Telecaster. When I got it years ago I made two immediate changes - I rewired it to behave like a modern Tele and I swapped out the bridge for a 6 saddle variety. Fender kindly included the wiring diagram and separate bridge for it.

Now in 2020, my playing style has changed a bit and I find the adjustment screws on the saddle a nuisance and they interfere with my playing. I'd like to replace them with a "cleaner" saddle, basically something that won't jab into my hand.

I know this is a bit of a minefield, as there is string spacing and offset screws to consider. What would you guys recommend?
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Replacement saddles for a Telecaster, help!

Post by jvin248 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:51 am

Measure the width of your current saddles and find replacements to match. There are hundreds of options, in a hundred different marketing blurbs as to why one is better than another. Some players need to have particular materials. Some are ok with other materials.

If you want Fender solid style D-ring type saddles then look at MIM replacement sets. Bent steel types in MIM/MIA sets.
I'd be cautious with graphite type saddles as some can be soft and the wound strings dig in, same problems on graphite nuts. Just use dry graphite powder lube (grease will attract dirt and increase friction over time).
You can find brass, steel, and zinc.
I'd avoid getting the six barrel style saddles as those tend to rattle against each other, and hence the popularity for the historic three barrel styles.

I've bought ebay import bridges for $5 and harvested the saddles (and saddle adjustment screws to match metric threads of the saddles) off those.

Key is the width of the saddles you choose to ensure the same string spacing you have now.