Anybody like sunburst? I seem to.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anybody like sunburst? I seem to.

Post by Horsefeather » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:00 am

I have come to love sunburst! I'm considering this pretty wacky color combo. I've shown it to only one other person and she didn't like it at all and said she was surprised I did. Does anyone here think this looks cool?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:17 am

I'm still only a click away from buying the materials to re-do my Jazzmaster in a more subtle 3-tone sunburst with the red almost faded out, like this...

You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:19 pm

You may be right- you could also say that the G&L Legacy there is more of a "clown burst", also. Maybe I should have called this just about bursts.
Somehow I could tell that was a G&L before I had even enlarged the photo to look at the headstock. They usually send me "play me" signals when I walk past them in a store - more so than Fenders actually - but I've never actually played one.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:35 am

Beautiful guitars. Man, that firebird!

And sunburst is awesome on pretty much any guitar style. :-*

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:40 am

There's definitely something inherently classy and classic about it when it's done right. Even though no actual wood looks like that naturally, it's always made me feel more like that's what I'm looking at when a burst is done right.

Last burst I had was this guy. Looked pretty nice as well.

Image20170606_141358 by Steve Bailey, on Flickr
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 am

gusgorman wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:19 pm

You may be right- you could also say that the G&L Legacy there is more of a "clown burst", also. Maybe I should have called this just about bursts.
Somehow I could tell that was a G&L before I had even enlarged the photo to look at the headstock. They usually send me "play me" signals when I walk past them in a store - more so than Fenders actually - but I've never actually played one.
They play wonderfully- get one in your hands next time you get a chance. They aren't Fender imitations, they have their own design philosophy going on and the playability is incredible. I would not easily be able to describe it, but G&Ls are just simply incredibly well made guitars that are a joy to play.

For instance, they are a little more handmade than Fenders, and they mate the body and the necks during construction so that they are made to be one unit. Fender uses a different approach by having super tight factory precision so that any neck can fit any guitar, which is also good- but when you pick up a G&L, especially one made before they had the CNC machines, it's just a difference you can feel.

I'm a huge fan of G&L guitars but I am an even bigger fan of their basses, like that SB-1 you see in the center there. I'm convinced that G&L basses are the best basses in the world.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:53 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:40 am
There's definitely something inherently classy and classic about it when it's done right. Even though no actual wood looks like that naturally, it's always made me feel more like that's what I'm looking at when a burst is done right.

Wow. I really have grown to want one of these guitars during my time on this forum, and that is adding to it. What a great guitar.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:12 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:53 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:40 am

Wow. I really have grown to want one of these guitars during my time on this forum, and that is adding to it. What a great guitar.
It was! Admittedly I had some trouble getting used to the "fit" of it on me due to the relative locations of the strap button and tummy cut based on how I like things to hang off of me, but I should have powered through it. I've since noticed that some of the famous Yamaha SG proponents did some interesting strap wrangling that would have alleviated the issues I was having. I intend to try again later this year...

I feel really stupid for selling it because in the two years since they've doubled in price. It's certainly still worth it because it was very well-built., but that fact certainly adds a sting.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:48 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:12 am

It was! Admittedly I had some trouble getting used to the "fit" of it on me due to the relative locations of the strap button and tummy cut based on how I like things to hang off of me, but I should have powered through it.
I hear you. I have a Les Paul Studio that is barely weight relieved if at all. It's not sunburst so it didn't make these pictures, but I can tell you that every time I haul it out the weight distribution of the thing just pisses me off. I play sitting down, and part of my picking hand arm has to be dedicated to preventing it from sliding off my lap and onto the floor.

But it sounds great and records well so I keep it around, plus it has a lot of mods and had a lightly cracked headstock so selling it would be impractical. But when I guitar doesn't fit on you, it's a serious thing.

All those guitars in the picture fit just great, though. But few instruments feel as good to me as that Firebird, it's light as a feather and just feels wonderful.

It doesn't get a lot of play, sadly- that's why it looks brand new in the pictures. It doesn't sit on stands, the case is enormous, and I have little kids running around and Firebirds are super fragile. I was nervous about laying it there on the floor for the three minutes it took for me to take those pictures.

All things considered, though, it's probably the best guitar I have and if it was the only guitar I could have I would be doing just fine.

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 am

They play wonderfully- get one in your hands next time you get a chance. They aren't Fender imitations, they have their own design philosophy going on and the playability is incredible. I would not easily be able to describe it, but G&Ls are just simply incredibly well made guitars that are a joy to play.

For instance, they are a little more handmade than Fenders, and they mate the body and the necks during construction so that they are made to be one unit. Fender uses a different approach by having super tight factory precision so that any neck can fit any guitar, which is also good- but when you pick up a G&L, especially one made before they had the CNC machines, it's just a difference you can feel.

I'm a huge fan of G&L guitars but I am an even bigger fan of their basses, like that SB-1 you see in the center there. I'm convinced that G&L basses are the best basses in the world.
In the space of one thread you've persuaded me that I want a G&L and a firebird :)

Although to be fair, they were prob 2 of the guitars that have tickled my fancy the most recently anyway.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:11 am

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:24 am

I think you must be the winner, because am I seeing sunburst on the pickup covers there?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:42 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:24 am
I think you must be the winner, because am I seeing sunburst on the pickup covers there?
Tort that matches the pickguard.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:02 am

I didn't even know that was possible! Looks great there.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:03 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:02 am
I didn't even know that was possible! Looks great there.
Robert Quine knew what he was doing when he put his touring guitar together. The pickups are Rio Gande's.