Anybody like lipstick pickups? I seem to.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anybody like lipstick pickups? I seem to.

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:07 am

Acidhouse wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 am
I installed some about fifteen years ago on a Squier 51. They were GFS and probably not a good representation of lipstick pickups. Kind of a cool sound but very thin sounding. Again, cheap MIC versions though.
Thin sounding is part of the deal, but some do sound better than others. I do think Strat-sized lipsticks don’t quite give you the full experience though.

What I like about “thin” pickups is they often sound great with a gnarly fuzz, or boosted, or with a dirty amp. Thin often works better in a mix too.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:23 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:07 am

What I like about “thin” pickups is they often sound great with a gnarly fuzz, or boosted, or with a dirty amp. Thin often works better in a mix too.
Right on! This is so much what I seek out as part of my playing. It's one of the treats of a lipstick pickup.

And if you split a hot/cool rail or minihumbucker it can sound quite thin, even moreso than a lipstick if its wound lightly, but then run that through some fuzz/boost and... zzzhhhhaaaAAANNNGGG!!! It's cool!
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:57 am

Yup, I’m a fan. Probably my favourite sounding rhythm guitar pickup. I only have a dano DC12 at the moment, but my wife loves the fee and sound so much she has me keeping an eye out for a 6 string version for her to use.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:19 am

The thing about lipstick pickups is that they're very low inductance (low output), but have significant eddy currents caused by the thick metal case around them, which really temper what would otherwise be a large peak at a very high resonant frequency. Danelectros are wired to combined their pickups in series and these pickups are very well suited to that, because their low output and high resonant frequencies mean you still get a series mode with a lot of clarity. That's why nothing else out there sounded like the middle position of a 2-pickup Danelectro - two super low output coils spaced wide apart and wired in series. There wasn't anything else like it. Famously put to good use on Cashmere.

The main differences between most modern lipsticks and the originals are that 1) they're now wound onto plastic bobbins with a bar magnet in the center, instead of winding the coil directly onto the magnet like the originals, so modern ones use a smaller magnet since space is limited 2) they're most frequently made into strat dimensions for retrofitting to common guitars, whereas the originals were bigger/longer, and 3) the new ones use various alnico grades, whereas the originals were alnico VI.

The main knock against GFS lipsticks is that, last I checked, they use A2, which is significantly weaker than A6. Higher end reissues tend to use A5, which is still different, but closer in properties to A6 than A2.

Some boutique winders build true reissues - Curtis Novak, for example, winds the coil directly onto a big magnet for a more accurate build and tone, and he'll build them in strat, jag, or original footprints, I believe. Then there's the Nep-Tone guy - he only builds fully authentic ones for the rear-mounted Danelectro style rout, and I've never really understood whether he actually sells pickups or only puts them on his very nice but crazy expensive hand built guitars.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:14 am

I bought my Nep-Tones directly from him on ebay. Pretty sure they are the exact pickups that are in those hideous Tone Revival guitars.

He does offer baseplates for pickguard mounting, but you need a lot of pickguard real estate to make that work, which is why my Jazzmaster has 3 hole mounting like a Tele bridge pickup.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:46 am

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Acidhouse wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 am
I installed some about fifteen years ago on a Squier 51. They were GFS and probably not a good representation of lipstick pickups. Kind of a cool sound but very thin sounding. Again, cheap MIC versions though.
I use 100K pots with Lipstick builds. Higher values sound thin and wimpy.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:58 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:52 am
Pacafeliz wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:15 am
Always been interested, never done it.
What's a good pickup to start with? 🤔
the GFS/artec ones are like 90% of the typical lipstick sound. the seymour duncan ones are kinda "lipsticks but more grunt"
Thanks! Guess I'll have to order myself a pair ;D
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:06 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:58 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:52 am
Pacafeliz wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:15 am
Always been interested, never done it.
What's a good pickup to start with? 🤔
the GFS/artec ones are like 90% of the typical lipstick sound. the seymour duncan ones are kinda "lipsticks but more grunt"
Thanks! Guess I'll have to order myself a pair ;D
if it was my money, i'd pay out for the seymours.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:36 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:06 am
if it was my money, i'd pay out for the seymours.
And a little bit more money could ramp up to Curtis Novak's lipsticks, which are probably the most vintage correct in design.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair