Have you upgraded your Telecaster bridge

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Have you upgraded your Telecaster bridge

Post by Jan Deal » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:49 am

I was thinking about my Telecaster (a 2006 US 52RI) after watching a Paul Davids video, discussing what he doesn't like about Stratocasters. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWQf9n2zWvo)

This got me thinking about my Tele and the main thing I do not like is how the bridge feels on the palm on my hand, say when I am palm muting. I know I could get a bridge plate without the lips, but it got me thinking about what else is out there.

Has anyone tried a Babicz bridge (https://reverb.com/item/541902-babicz-f ... dge-chrome)? They look right fancy, but are they worth the price?
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Have you upgraded your Telecaster bridge

Post by Veitchy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:43 am

Never tried the Babicz bridge, but I admittedly don't have a hard time palm muting on an ashtray bridge. I'd be hesitant to remove the three-saddle bridge off your 52RI as its a big part of what makes a Tele sound great IMO. If all you're after is easier access for palm muting I'd look into an ashtray style bridge without the sides - that'd be the least intrusive and cheapest way of solving your problem.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:22 am

How did you manage to watch a full Paul Davids video?

He reminds me of product queens on Insta or makeup review YouTubers.
The weird tone of voice, the bright makeup mirror lighting and making sure he gets a million angles of his face in each video. I don't understand how YouTubers like him keep viewers.
Am I watching a guitar video, or a heavily edited makeup tutorial?

I havent even heard him play much guitar, because I can't handle his corny style of presentation and overall editing and production style long enough to watch anything.

I agree with the post above, that suggests an ashtray without the sides, such as a Wilkinson or whatever.
My first electric was a Tele with a traditional ashtray bridge. I injured myself more than once, while playing really hard during live sets with my old high school band.
I'll never forget that feeling of coming down on the sides of that bridge with my knuckles or wrist.
Still love the look of the ashtray. I even found a cover and would use it sometimes.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:33 am

This one probably solves your problems?
https://www.thomann.de/de/abm_3455n_tel ... nickel.htm
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:39 am

I know some folk will think it's blasphemy, but one of the first things I did to my tele was swap out the 3 saddle bridge for a 6 saddle one, so I'm keen to keep with the 6 to be honest. I'm no purist, this 52RI tele has lace sensor pickups installed!

Basically, I don't like jabby bits on a bridge due to where my right hand tends to sit. Strumming is fine, but any picking work means that my hand gravitates towards that bridge pickup area.

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:06 am

an old mim standard bridge is comfy, cheap, and will drop in.

i had a babicz (sp?) bridge on one of my teles and was not impressed. Too complicated, i thought.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:19 am

shim neck, raise saddles, now the ashtray lip ain't in the way!

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:30 am

try brass compensated saddles. better intonation than the standard barrels while sounding livelier than the steel that usually makes up the 6 saddle bridges.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:25 am

Like you I prefer the 6 saddle tele bridges. Never understood the attraction of the 3-barrel bridges. I'd just get a modern Fender bridge as already suggested, or the Gotoh or similar version (just make sure the mounting holes and string-through holes match your guitar - there's one Fender type where they're in completely different locations). Solid metal plate, no walls, six smooth modern saddles (you can shorten the height screws if you need to). The Babicz looks OTT to me.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:24 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:19 am
shim neck, raise saddles, now the ashtray lip ain't in the way!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:33 pm

I've got a Hipshot on mine. 3 saddle bridge with no raised edge. The saddles are compensated, and intonation has always been easy to set. Looks nice and is a solid bridge too. I'm pretty keen on Hipshot stuff.

Like this one:
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:08 am

Yes, I have an American Standard Telecaster with a Callaham bridge, highly recommended by me, and I have another one with a Mastery bridge.

I despise the six saddle bridge on Telecasters and don't like it anywhere, really. Some years ago I read someone saying that the Telecaster is all about contact, that the strings are heavily affixed to the bridge by coming through the body, that the bridge is a heavy plate solidly anchored to the body, and that the saddles should have as much pressure putting them to the heavy bridge plate as they can.

Made sense to me.

But really, I am of the belief that the fewer saddles the better in all cases, again for contact and string pressure.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 am

The Babics bridge works for some, it's a lot of cash though.

Most Tele players will grind off the bottoms of the grub screws so they are shorter and do not stick up (bent steel saddles this is problematic), or get a modern bridge plate without the sides.

You can buy an ebay brass compensated T-style 3-saddle bridge for $10 and pull the saddles to install on your guitar.

Going to six rectangular block saddles is fine. If you go to the six-barrel style bridges you'll find they rattle and buzz against each other.

The secret to Tele !Twang! is where you pick. The ergonomics of the guitar strap pins and thigh cut compared to the bridge placement sets a player up to pick over the bridge pickup. Or the sharpness of the bridge causes them to rest their palm behind the bridge plate and pick between the saddles and the bridge pickup where all the !Twang! hangs out.

Someone who plays a Strat learns to avoid hitting the volume knob so they pick between the middle and neck pickups where the tone is rounder and more mellow. But the daring Strat player who picks closer to the saddles will get !Twang! Jazzmasters often get picked between the pickups, but they can !Twang! too...

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:07 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:33 pm
I've got a Hipshot on mine. 3 saddle bridge with no raised edge. The saddles are compensated, and intonation has always been easy to set. Looks nice and is a solid bridge too. I'm pretty keen on Hipshot stuff.

Like this one:
Do you find the rub screws getting in the way of your picking hand?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:21 am

Jan Deal wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:07 am
Do you find the rub screws getting in the way of your picking hand?
Nope, never had an issue with that. It would be pretty easy to replace them with smaller set-screws if you wanted to though.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384