Whitfill Blackguard NGD DAY!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Whitfill Blackguard NGD DAY!

Post by Maggieo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:31 am

I'm taking the money from the sale of the Hahn and buying a guitar I've had my eye on at Lidgett's Music for a while.

Sadly, it's not the '65 Jazzmaster at CME. The held it for a week and then it sold the next day. :'(
Last edited by Maggieo on Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Incoming Electric NGD DAY!

Post by Maggieo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:55 pm

TA-DA!!!!

Whitfill T Style Blackguard!!
This is a great pre-owned Blackguard style guitar handmade in Nashville, Tennessee by Charles Whitfill. The swamp ash body and maple neck comes with Whitfill’s amazing relic’ing job.

Weight 6 lbs 6 oz
SPECS:
– Body wood: 1 piece swamp ash
– Neck wood: 1 piece maple
– Neck profile: .860″ @ 1st fret, .960″ @ 12th fret
– Neck shape: heavy C
– Radius: 10″ radius
– Nut width: 1.650
– Fingerboard wood: maple
– Fingerboard inlays: clay
– Tuners: Gotoh vintage nickel
– Nut: bone
– Frets: 6105
– Bridge: Gotoh vintage nickel
– Truss rod: vintage style
– Pickups: Whitfill proprietary Usual Suspects by Onamac Windery
– Electronics: CTS pots, CRL switch, Switchcraft jack, vintage style cloth wire, oil and paper capacitor
– Finish: nitrocellulose lacquer
– Front color: Butterscotch
– Hardware color: nickel
– Setup: standard Whitfill spec
– Case: G&G
Here's the pix from Rob at Lidgett's:

It's relic'ed a bit, but not so much that it looks fakey or overdone. When I played it at Lidgett's, I never plugged it in, becausd it filled the room up like an acoustic, it's that lively. Got home and plugged it into my PRRI, turned up to "8" and it is both a rouck and twang machine. It's right up there with my Kelly snakehead, easy.

I had potential deals with a couple other guys/stores for 60s Jazzmasters, one 60s Jag, and one '62 SG Special (with a neck that had been repaired twice and a headstock that's been fixed at least that many times), but when it came time to talk turkey, things were all non-negotiable. Rob was great, and took my JHS Colorbox in trade, so I even have money left from the sale of the Hahn to pay for some tree cleanup. (damn storms)
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Whitfill Blackguard NGD DAY!

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Niiiiice.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Have you still got the Bowery Pine and the Campagilongo ?

There seems to be a trend here

:)

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:10 pm

Wow, the color, the grain, the checking...it all comes together so well. Looks absolutely delicious. I've been warming up a lot to Teles lately and this doesn't help. Happy NGD!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:31 pm

windmill wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:48 pm
Have you still got the Bowery Pine and the Campagilongo ?

There seems to be a trend here

:)
Yep! The Snakehead and the Campy are still in the scuderia!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Axolotl wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:10 pm
Wow, the color, the grain, the checking...it all comes together so well. Looks absolutely delicious. I've been warming up a lot to Teles lately and this doesn't help. Happy NGD!
It's even more wonderful in person. And,holy cow, those pickups! Best I've heard.

And it plays like buttah.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:44 am

That’s lovely. Enjoy it in good health!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:31 am

That looks absolutely amazing. There's really nothing like a guitar that feels alive in your hands. The fact that you chose this without plugging it in tells you everything you need to know, really.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:05 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:31 am
That looks absolutely amazing. There's really nothing like a guitar that feels alive in your hands. The fact that you chose this without plugging it in tells you everything you need to know, really.
That is so true. When an electric guitar sings like that unplugged and the neck fits your hand like a glove, it's like finding that perfect dog at the shelter.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:32 am

Here's "Cousin Kenny" on my sofa last night (so-so iPhone pic, sorry):

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:54 am

And now, Cousin Kenny on my (in)famous sofa!

(Yes, that's a Blue Chip pick)