NGD: Epiphone Zephyr Blues DeLuxe

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Haustnótt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Epiphone Zephyr Blues DeLuxe

Post by Haustnótt » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:07 am

MIK, Peerless, 2001. Individual volume controls, master tone. No pickup switch. Solid maple with flame maple veneer, maple neck, rosewood fretboard.

I've always wanted a big jazzbox with P90s, but can't justify getting a vintage Gibson. I got a good deal on this one, and it is actually a very good instrument. I think it was Epiphone's top of the line archtop, or at least close to it. Materials are very nice, the finish impeccable, frets really good (hardly any wear), pots of high quality, hardware decent. The only thing not quite after my taste is the pickups. While they're AlNiCo units, they're wound too hot for my liking. I measured around 11.5 kΩ on all three, which is 50 percent hotter than a typical 50s unit. They're all right for bluesier styles or overdriven sounds, but for a traditional jazz tone, they're too boomy. With volume on 8 or less they sound better, but still not quite there. Will upgrade.

The greatest surprise is the sound of the pickups combined. I'd thought that I'd mostly use the neck pickup on this, but there are so much more to be had here. The inbetween "Strat" positions sound like a punchy, less quacky Strat, the neck and bridge together sounds like a larger-than-life Jazzmaster, but the brightest star is the combination of all three. Shimmering, warm and bright. Small adjustments on the individual tone controls makes a lot more difference than expected, there is a very broad spectrum of usable sounds here. Even more so with better pickups, obviously.

As a Fender-man, I really love the 25.5" scale. It definitely has an impact on the sound; this guitar is somewhat punchier and clearer with more presence than a similar 24.75" scale guitar, because of the increased tension. When compared to my 1989 Epiphone Emperor, this is very obvious. The Zephyr also feels more stable and solid, partly for the same reason (but it is clearly a superior instrument to the Emperor in every way).

The electronics have so-called 50s wiring, making the sound stay crisp when reducing volume. This has the drawback of making the tone control pretty much useless when volume is not on full. I will probably rewire to modern wiring with fine-tuned treble bleeds when I change pickups.

The intonation was really off when I got it, but that was quickly fixed. I've also changed the thin roundwounds it came with for my favourite set of strings, Thomastik-Infeld JS112 (flatwounds). I've also swapped the TOM bridge for a rosewood bridge (third picture). Sounds less metallic now, with a more extended, less peaky treble response.

I am very satisfied with this purchase!

Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Epiphone Zephyr Blues DeLuxe

Post by CorporateDisguise » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:05 am

Hot damn! That thing is sexy!

Haustnótt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Haustnótt » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:48 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:05 am
Hot damn! That thing is sexy!
Yes, it is! It's a long time since I've really fallen in love with a guitar, especially a non-offset, but this one attracts me like no other. My CS Jazzmaster is getting jelaous, I think.
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:12 am

excellent. I am a big fan of Epiphone hollow bodies especially the more uncommon ones. That zephyr hit all the marks.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Played one of these years ago and I’ve never stopped thinking about it