NGD: Guild USA M-20

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Telliot
Mods
Mods

NGD: Guild USA M-20

Post by Telliot » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:54 pm

I'll be honest, I love Guild guitars and think they're criminally underrated. I don't think Fender did a great job during their ownership, and I'm glad to see Cordoba resurrecting the brand into something respectable again. I'm surprised how little attention their new USA line (built in California) is getting, but I guess that's always been Guild's lot in life. I hope to see them do better as time goes on and more people discover (or rediscover) them.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a vintage M-20 for a long time, but all the examples I found were in pretty bad shape, and I got kind of scared off after my experience with my '66 Starfire III. I prefer beefier necks and wider nuts, and wasn't too crazy about the stories of small necks and narrow nut widths of the original models, so I just kind of kind of resigned myself to accepting I wouldn't own one.

When I heard Cordoba had bought Guild and was planning on revamping the brand, I was excited. And when they announced the M-20 and the specs of the guitar I was even more excited. I mean, this list checks so many boxes for me:

• Solid African Mahogany
  • Scalloped X Bracing
  • Indian Rosewood Fretboard
  • 1 3/4" Nut Width
  • 2 1/4" String Spacing
  • 24 3/4" Scale Length
  • Full C-Shape Neck
  • Bone Nut and Saddle
  • Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Growing up a huge Nick Drake fan I've always wanted an M-20 (whether he actually played one or not is a topic of discussion on many forums across the interwebs). As a kid I used to lay on the floor with headphones and listen to his albums, staring at the cover of him holding one on Bryter Layter. I just fell in love with that image and sound.

I mean, how cool is that??

There was always this mystique to the M-20 that I couldn't shake, and I would listen to those recordings over and over, trying to decipher his tone and playing style. Sound-wise, I could sometimes get close with my Martin, but it's a little too 'big' to really capture the close immediacy of his tone. Whether or not he really used one, Guild claims to have modeled the tone after Nick Drake's, and honestly, I think they nailed it — I can honestly say I've never gotten closer to this as I have with the M-20 (tuned to CGCFCE, capo on the 2nd fret). I put a set of Chrome flats on it, and although the strings are still brighter than I prefer and the guitar needs time to open up, I'm very happy with it. I think this will mature into something even warmer and more lovely (like my Martin did), and though I'm not one to buy new guitars, I'm glad I bought this one. I'm partial to sunbursts, but opted for the simpler classic model.

If you want to explore more, here are some demos that I think showcase it very well (here and here).

And finally, some pics. Just before I took these my dog walked by and apparently decided to donate one of her hairs to the photoshoot. It's there on the truss cover, and I'm feeling too lazy to retake the pics. :whistle:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Guild USA M-20

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:45 pm

Nice! I’ve tried a few of these and have been impressed with the playability and sound.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Absolutely, great build quality. :-*

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:35 am

Gorgeous!

I'd have bought the M20 if I'd got around to selling some more gear. In the end, the M-120 worked out fine. I love it!

I'm surprised the M20 is African mahogany. I thought I'd read somewhere that it was made from a slightly more desirable South American wood.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 am

Love these, I'm really tempted and again feeling a bit jealous. I also love the look of Mark's 120 too and I think I need to play both of them.

I've a couple of big car resto bills to clear and I'm trying to replenish my emergency war chest but come the new year I think I'll be looking for a small Guild and I can picture me sitting in the firelight on a clear Argyll winter night and fingerpicking my way through my favourite child ballads...while the family mock my cack handed playing.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:44 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 am
Love these, I'm really tempted and again feeling a bit jealous. I also love the look of Mark's 120 too and I think I need to play both of them.

I've a couple of big car resto bills to clear and I'm trying to replenish my emergency war chest but come the new year I think I'll be looking for a small Guild and I can picture me sitting in the firelight on a clear Argyll winter night and fingerpicking my way through my favourite child ballads...while the family mock my cack handed playing.

D
I know you're (or were?) a D55 owner so the step down, so to speak, will be amazing for you. Just the size, comfort & feel of these guitars is a treat.

Mine is a lesser model, compared to the M20, but it sustains as well as my D50, it has bags of chime & sparkle along with a decent amount of volume & low end punch. Plus, you get the lush, rich warmth of solid mahogany.

What's also been great is having to play with slightly more delicate fingers. I'm finding, by holding back, that this thing really opens up & shines.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:34 am

That's a wonderful guitar, and I am a little jealous... I would buy one of those in a heartbeat (and almost bought an F30).

I am also a Guild fanatic, although I only have ever owned one. Maybe I should say that my eyes were finally opened to how great Guild really is.

That being said, though, it seems that Nick Drake didn't use that Guild on his album and only borrowed it for the photo shoot.

That being said, though, I don't know that you couldn't get the Nick Drake sound on that guitar, or almost any other guitar.

I found this video to be very interesting regarding how to sound like Nick Drake.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:34 am
That's a wonderful guitar, and I am a little jealous... I would buy one of those in a heartbeat (and almost bought an F30).

I am also a Guild fanatic, although I only have ever owned one. Maybe I should say that my eyes were finally opened to how great Guild really is.

That being said, though, it seems that Nick Drake didn't use that Guild on his album and only borrowed it for the photo shoot.

That being said, though, I don't know that you couldn't get the Nick Drake sound on that guitar, or almost any other guitar.

I found this video to be very interesting regarding how to sound like Nick Drake.
I love that guy! I've watched that video a few times since it was posted.

Small bodied all mahogany guitars have a definite appeal. Other guitars you imagine the sound, with these you imagine the experience of playing it. It's definitely a couch/best friend guitar. The ultimate being the experience of somebody like Nick Drake who by accounts would play all day, then take the same guitar, strings and all into the studio. It's such a satisfying thought.

As for what guitar that actually was. .. I think we'll need time travel to know for sure.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:37 am

Yeah, that Josh Turner dude is pretty great. Regarding whether Drake actually used an M-20, Richard Thompson (who played on Bryter Layter) said Nick owned one, but his main guitar was a Martin D-28 with dead strings. Whatever the case, sitting in a room with this guitar on my lap, the immediacy and lack of projection certainly give me the sound I'm looking for, and I can't wait to start recording with it. I'd like to give it a few weeks of playing time to open up and settle in before sticking a mic in front of it.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:06 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 am

...I think I'll be looking for a small Guild and I can picture me sitting in the firelight on a clear Argyll winter night and fingerpicking my way through my favourite child ballads...while the family mock my cack handed playing.

D
I love Mark's 120 and from what I know of your musical tastes, I think the M20 would suit you very well.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:43 am

I feel like an all mahogany guitar is a missing element in my collection.

I also feel like I'm out of money, so I'll have to be happy for other people. I like that you got the 1.75" nut on there, the one thing I would change about my D-40 if I could.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:02 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:43 am
Thanks, Larry. I seriously considered the Martin 000-15M for awhile, but again, the 1.75" nut width is really nice to have.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
This was kind of my angle.

At first I was thinking about getting a small-bodied guitar with mahogany back & sides but then I figured, why not get something with entirely different characteristics to what I'm used to (spruce & rosewood) in a smaller package.

I have to say, the little differences in the M20 and the M-120 make a big difference. The satin, almost open grain finish on the M20 is gorgeous. Money well spent just for that. Also, I'd forgotten that the M20 had ivory tuning pegs & now I want them on my M-120, goddammit!!!! ;D I was considering an upgrade anyway (the 120 has lower ratio tuners) but now I need to see if Grover (or anyone else) do 18:1 tuners with ivory pegs.
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:09 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:03 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
This was kind of my angle.

At first I was thinking about getting a small-bodied guitar with mahogany back & sides but then I figured, why not get something with entirely different characteristics to what I'm used to (spruce & rosewood) in a smaller package.

I have to say, the little differences in the M20 and the M-120 make a big difference. The satin, almost open grain finish on the M20 is gorgeous. Money well spent just for that. Also, I'd forgotten that the M20 had ivory tuning pegs & now I want them on my M-120, goddammit!!!! ;D I was considering an upgrade anyway (the 120 has lower ratio tuners) but now I need to see if Grover (or anyone else) do 18:1 tuners with ivory pegs.
If you are on the fence with the Grovers, I do recommend the investment if you plan to keep the 120. The higher ratio is really nice to have, especially if you're experimenting with alternate tunings.