NGD - "Fender '69 RI Telecaster Thinline"...

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD - "Fender '69 RI Telecaster Thinline"...

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:43 pm

Well, some of it anyway. I bought this "Fender '69 RI Telecaster Thinline" off Guitar Center's Used Guitar section. I'm planning on doing a refinish project with it. In the process of dismantling it, I discovered that the body is a Warmoth body - looks like swamp ash wood based on the thinline body type from the Warmoth website. This is actually my first Warmoth body, so I'm kind of sort of hopeful this would be considered a happy upgrade from the previous owner?

The Fender neck & tuners look like legit Fender '69 Reissue Telecaster Thinline (Made In Mexico), with the tuners being Schallers with the F stamp on the back of the tuners.

From what little research I could find, it looks like these Made in Mexico Fender '69 Reissue Telecaster Thinlines had mahogany bodies. I know swamp ash is decent (good enough for Leo back in the day, good enough for me). Is one wood preferable over the other? I played the guitar before dismantling it and it sounded decent enough.

It's all academic, anyway. Along with the refinish work, I'm going to get a roasted maple Vintera Mod '60s Tele '60s C shaped neck for it and I'll use the Schaller tuners with it. The stock "Modern C" neck is too thin for me. I temporarily put on a few other Telecaster necks I have and 3 out of 4 of them were excellent fits in the neck pocket (along with the one it came with). The only neck heel that was too thin was my all rosewood neck that I'm using for another Tele. I'll probably upgrade with some new pickups at some point, too.

What do you all think? Finding out it's a Warmoth body, is it:
  • A good thing
  • Makes no real difference either way
  • bummer, dude, you got totally ripped off
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - "Fender '69 RI Telecaster Thinline"...

Post by bdf83 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:26 am

Well I'd be pissed off if I bought it as one thing and it turned out to be something else...

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - "Fender '69 RI Telecaster Thinline"...

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:16 am

That was my initial reaction at first, too. If the body was made by some maker that I was unfamiliar with, I’d probably put the guitar back together and get a refund. I’m not sure it would be worth the trouble since it’s a Warmoth body, which is why I’m asking.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...