$350 ASAT Classic Stupid Deal

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: $350 ASAT Classic Stupid Deal

Post by Dok » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:47 pm

I had a Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, that I should not have sold. The neck was real thin on it and used to cramp up my thumb - that's my only complaint, and one of these days I'm going to score one of the 2 or 3 that come up on eBay each year. Those saddle-lock bridges are second to none.

Local milk person

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:29 pm

And yours was the higher quality Korean made model.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:29 pm
From what I've read on the G&L forums, the Indonesian factory have improved greatly from when they first took the G&L contract, so I am not sure that's really true anymore.
It was definitely true for the first few years in Indonesia. There was a big difference, however they've reportedly been building much better guitars since 2014 or so.
One thing I have noticed from my limited experience, is they tend to be lighter than the Korean Tributes.
Many of the Korean ones, I have played, were absolute tanks. Especially the ASATs for some reason.
I played a Tribute bass once that was so heavy it hurt to pick it up. It was close to being the heaviest electric bass I have ever held.
That award goes to a 70s Telecaster Bass, which belongs to a friend. It is 16 lbs. You don't even try to sling that one.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:35 am

Unfortunately nowadays not all of them are fitted with the same USA hardware/pickups like the Korean (and very early Japanese) 'tributes' were.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:09 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:35 am
Unfortunately nowadays not all of them are fitted with the same USA hardware/pickups like the Korean (and very early Japanese) 'tributes' were.
You just jogged my memory. I remember buying this guitar and then discovering it did not have USA pickups. It had nice traditional Alnico pickups but they were not USA G&L pickups.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:24 am

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:09 am
andy_tchp wrote:
You just jogged my memory. I remember buying this guitar and then discovering it did not have USA pickups. It had nice traditional Alnico pickups but they were not USA G&L pickups.
Only the models with MFDs have the US pickups.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:24 am
Pepe Silvia wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:
Ah. I was unaware of that. Well, that can be good, because if my father in law ends up liking the guitar OK (I told him I would not be offended if he returned it) then I can get him some upgraded pickups down the road.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:37 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:24 am
Pepe Silvia wrote:

Ah. I was unaware of that. Well, that can be good, because if my father in law ends up liking the guitar OK (I told him I would not be offended if he returned it) then I can get him some upgraded pickups down the road.
Yes, due to G&L USA being the only actual source for MFDs, however they have a multitude of cheaper options for traditional ALNICO pickups.
I have no interest in the ALNICO options, so this doesn't bother me, but I can see it being a slight issue for those wanting classic tones from a tribute G&L.
That being said, the import ALNICO pickups used on the newer tributes are not bad pickups. They are a far cry better than the cheapo singles used by Squier on Bullet Strats and Affinity models, which have what is basically a soft refrigerator magnet underneath metal pole pieces, and are only traditional in appearance.
People interested in G&L are better off saving for a US model, even though the Tributes are nicely made.
USA G&L guitars are priced well, and are immaculately constructed. You can get a USA G&L built to your own specs for less than an American Pro series Fender, which will force you into a certain colour and neck shape with no options to change either without going Custom shop and spending big money.
The owners are also very much into maintaining Leo's build philosophy and attention to detail , and have solid quality control.
Fender itself is a shell of its past at this point. They are a marketing giant, and do still make good instruments, but if you really want a truly solid Fender style guitar, in a colour you want, with options you want, nothing tops G&L right now.

I am fully aware, I am preaching to the choir here, as I know you love G&L and own a few, however this post is for the uninitiated.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:54 am

I do own some G&L stuff, one guitar and four basses (the best basses in the world if people aren't tired of hearing me say that by now). All American made, all tremendous instruments. I don't know how they do it. They aren't really all that similar, either.

I'm hoping this Tribute brings some fun to Greg. If he keeps it, we can mod it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:57 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 pm
Pepe Silvia wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:29 pm
From what I've read on the G&L forums, the Indonesian factory have improved greatly from when they first took the G&L contract, so I am not sure that's really true anymore.
It was definitely true for the first few years in Indonesia. There was a big difference, however they've reportedly been building much better guitars since 2014 or so.
One thing I have noticed from my limited experience, is they tend to be lighter than the Korean Tributes.
Many of the Korean ones, I have played, were absolute tanks. Especially the ASATs for some reason.
I played a Tribute bass once that was so heavy it hurt to pick it up. It was close to being the heaviest electric bass I have ever held.
That award goes to a 70s Telecaster Bass, which belongs to a friend. It is 16 lbs. You don't even try to sling that one.
My MIK SB-2 isn't light but isn't a boat anchor. When I had this exact Indonesian model, it was a lot lighter than my ash bodied, MIA ASAT Special semi-hollow

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:06 am

I kind of like how G&L doesn't give a shit about weight. It's refreshing to see them not chasing that trend.

Also, regarding the basses, those bridges are a mass of metal and a lot of the metal is sunken into the wood. For anyone who doesn't know, the body is routed out for the metal to sink into it, it's not just sitting on top of the body there. It's a high mass bridge and that's how it works, no way to make it a light instrument from that perspective.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:06 am
I kind of like how G&L doesn't give a shit about weight. It's refreshing to see them not chasing that trend.

Also, regarding the basses, those bridges are a mass of metal and a lot of the metal is sunken into the wood. For anyone who doesn't know, the body is routed out for the metal to sink into it, it's not just sitting on top of the body there. It's a high mass bridge and that's how it works, no way to make it a light instrument from that perspective.
Solid body basses are going to be a tad heavy compared to a guitar regardless, so I dont hold that against them.
I am not sure the "heavy G&L" is really a thing anymore, or if it ever really was a thing.
Just something I have seen a lot on forums, and have only actually experienced with a few of their models, including US ones. Usually the weight is on par with Fender.
I am pretty sure that 12 ibs L2000 I tried was an anamoly.
All that said, I have found no issues with any of their models over the past decade or so, whether it be US or Tribute.
I am at the point now, where I respect them over Fender, and wouldn't hesitate to order one. The next time I get bad GAS for a Tele or Strat style.
I also really want a Doheny V12 with the MFD humbuckers. Those are fantastic.
Fifteen years ago, I was a Fender fanboy all the way, and likely would have snubbed G&L for no good reason. Not anymore.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:43 pm

Oh, I don't know if they are heavier or what... I just seem to think that they don't care one way or the other. They just make great guitars and that's it.

I agree, I've been a G&L fan for decades now, but I feel like if I was starting a guitar collection all over again it would be more G&L and less other guitars.

I just love the playability of the things.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:32 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:43 pm
Oh, I don't know if they are heavier or what... I just seem to think that they don't care one way or the other. They just make great guitars and that's it.

I agree, I've been a G&L fan for decades now, but I feel like if I was starting a guitar collection all over again it would be more G&L and less other guitars.

I just love the playability of the things.
A shop in Minnesota has this rare US ASAT Z-3 for just a tad over $1K. It is in a discontinued colour and has a matching headstock.
Its the Z coil version of the ASAT. They are hard to find. They have been discontinued several times and aren't a consistent offering from them.
It is absurd to me, how underappreciated G&L are. Try to find a rare Fender model for 1K. Even a non US rare Fender would be a lot of money in some cases.
https://www.williesguitars.com/product/ ... -asat-z-3/

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:23 am

Yep, used G&Ls have the worst resale value for literally no reason other than inexplicably low demand. Also means that used G&Ls are just about the best quality per dollar you could possibly get.

Z-coils, like the dual-fulcrum vibrato and saddle-lock bridge, are underappreciated advancements in design that Leo Fender quietly made at the end of his career. They're among my favourite pickups ever. They have the clarity of single coils, the girth of humbuckers, high output, perfect string to string balance and absolutely no noise. Combining them with a PTB circuit gets you as much variety in tone as any guitarist could reasonably ask for.

I got a set of 3 of them direct from G&L on clearance for $99 (one of many stupidly good deals you can find on G&L stuff, it's a running theme) and put them into a Squier Bullet Mustang that instantly sounded better and quieter than 90% of my expensive instruments. I have trouble picturing anyone being unhappy with the tone of a Z coil, regardless of whether you're a "humbucker person" or "single coil person."

The issue, like everything G&L related, it that they don't sound or look identical to the 1950s and 1960s designs that dominate the marketplace, so people just don't seem to be interested. It's insane. I'd put Z-coils in everything but the routing is an issue (I actually bought the Bullet explicitly to put Z-coils in, because it has a swimming pool rout).

I also recently discovered that Z-coils just barely fit into Jazzmaster covers. I might screw some to a JM bobbin as a base plate and load them into a Jazzmaster. There's a Danny Gatton signature bridge Z-coil that's a little hotter (though it's out of stock on their web site, unfortunately) and if I can track one down, that's what I'd use for the sake of variety. They are just such incredible pickups.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.