A big question: How do you store your guitars?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: A big question: How do you store your guitars?

Post by rbrcbr » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:55 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:25 pm
Dear god Sook, what a room. I'd probably cry if I walked into this room without realizing you had so much cool shit.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Jan Deal wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:19 am
Between myself and my wife, we have something like 15 guitars and basses at home, I appreciate this is quite a lot of instruments but I feel you folks may have similar amounts. How are you guys storing them? At the moment, we have numerous in gigs bags, 6 at home in a multi guitar stand and then a few stragglers left free in our music room. The gig bag solution isn't great, as they're bulky and it also hides the guitars away. I was considering wall hangers, as they'd be out of the way and somewhat decorative...

is it possible that there are just too many guitars?
Depending on your living space, yeah you could definitely have too many guitars hahaha. At the moment I've 10 stringed instruments in my music room, 7 in a floor rack, one on a guitar stand, and two on the wall on hangers.

Pardon the mess :whistle:

I have to have this stuff out ready to grab and play otherwise I won't touch em. So I recently got some room humidifiers (winter in NY is dry), one for the music room and one for the bedroom, seems to help keep them in a consistent set up. But yeah, one vote for keeping them out and available to play. Wall hangers are crucial in maximizing space, I'd say go for that if you've got wall space. Just make sure they're humidified.

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 pm

stuff that i actually use for projects im working on at the moment have to be out and available. everything else in cases in the closet.
its so cool to see pictures of everyones guitars and rooms like this.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 pm

papa_hotel_delta wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 pm
MrFingers wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:57 am
If you've got the depth available, angled wall-hangers are the way to go.

(how-to-deface a wall with 14 PRS's)

Cute, but I wouldn't choose this configuration anywhere with regular seismic activity.
That's funny you said this. I was working in a guitar shop in 2001 when a 6.8 happened. Most of our electrics were on retail slot wall String Swing angled wall hangers. No damage at all because they all swung in unison. The hanging acoustics were flat up a against a cedar paneled wall with protection behind them and had only a few inches motion. They were good, too. Some floor stand acoustic and electric guitars fell and got dinged, though. Used amps took a hit, too. Shockingly, the guitar section was the least affected department.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".