Uh oh Fender... Instagram accusations of being misogynistic

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Uh oh Fender... Instagram accusations of being misogynistic

Post by natthu » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 pm

If we condemn these sorts of social media posts and they get taken down or, god forbid, stop happening all together, how will the type of small-minded chauvinist sexist wanker guitarist, who uses their guitar playing as an extension of their penis, know which guitars to buy? :(

In all seriousness though, I think most reasonable people, even if not offended as such, are probably going to recognize these types of posts as misguided or creepy, or at the very least just plain odd. As they say, offense is taken not given. So even if Fender's post wasn't meant in the creepy way it reads (doubtful), they should have been much more aware of how others may perceive it.

Social media is a kind of self correcting feedback loop.... Unfortunately more so after the fact. In any case, I'm betting Fender will subject their future posts to a bit more of a thoughtful filter.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:54 am

I mean, it's definitely a matter of knowing your audience, and on social media your audience is EVERYBODY. People, and especially people who grew up and functioned in the pre-social media world forget this all the time. You're always speaking publically.

Like, here on this forum we have Pat, and all of us know Pat as a good dude. And Pat has the Crackwhore, and that's been funny for years, and lots of people have joined in the banter about the Crackwhore. And this is all right, because we know Pat is a cool dude who has no intention being sexist or whatever by giving that name to an in truth pretty cracked up Jaguar.

So within the context of this forum, that works.

But Fender can't talk that way on social media, or name one of their models The Crackwhore, because without the internal frame of reference to hang that up on, or a solidly anchored understanding that Fender is fundamentally an unproblematic actor that doesn't support misogyny, sexism and objectification, that comes off wrong. Sure offence is taken and not given, but unless you can speak specifically to your audience you are inviting people to take offence. The kind of locker room talk transferred onto guitars that still works in certain circles and already seems off-key to us, a group consisting pre-dominately of white dudes into rock in one form or the other, definitely doesn't fly on social media in 2021.

So you might think that everyone should be able to get the lingo and take a joke, and probably a lot of conflict would be avoided if everyone could, but you have to be one certain kind of asshole stand-up comedian if you come on stage and direct your jokes to a third of the audience at the expense of the rest of it.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:18 pm

That, or everyone's just giving a dude a free pass on racism/sexism because it's easier than making anyone uncomfortable.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:56 pm

pretty tasteless IMHO
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 pm

It pathetic and sad and even a little incel chic but I’ve seen worse here both in the Girls with Guitars thread, some real leering at female artists over the years and of course a hearty side order of so called slut shaming.. Obviously there’s worse out there on other forums which I don’t go to but even OSG has its skid marked pants stuffed in the back of the drawer.

IMO there has long been a lot of shit stuck to the shoe of guitar culture to a level that I pretty much don’t even bother looking.

I'd also say that this pales into insignificance compared to Fender still offering an Eric Clapton signature guitar.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:26 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 pm
I’ve seen worse here both in the Girls with Guitars thread, some real leering at female artists over the years and of course a hearty side order of so called slut shaming.. Obviously there’s worse out there on other forums which I don’t go to but even OSG has its skid marked pants stuffed in the back of the drawer.
Ew, yeah- I remember that thread. And a video posted hereabouts with a lady getting 'artistically' busy with a JM.

Gross.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:44 am

I just read this on Facebook, a guy talking about his new Martin, and he had this to say:

"... she’s sexy and sultry , smooth and ballsy. As soon as I held her I fell in love."

I mean what the fuck are we discussing here? This seems more like search terms one would enter into Spankbang more than anything.

I don't know if this really fits this thread, but for the love of God, boys, quit anthropomorphizing and sexualizing your fucking guitars. It's weird. It's gross. There's a lot of great ways a man can be sexual and talking about your guitar is none of them.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:48 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:44 am
I just read this on Facebook, a guy talking about his new Martin, and he had this to say:

"... she’s sexy and sultry , smooth and ballsy. As soon as I held her I fell in love."

I mean what the fuck are we discussing here? This seems more like search terms one would enter into Spankbang more than anything.

I don't know if this really fits this thread, but for the love of God, boys, quit anthropomorphizing and sexualizing your fucking guitars. It's weird. It's gross. There's a lot of great ways a man can be sexual and talking about your guitar is none of them.
I love my guitars, but I don't looove my guitars.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:08 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:44 am
Co-signed.

I’ve been asked so many times over the years “what’s her name” about my guitars, from men and women. It’s a piece of wood, steel and plastic, why would I want to gender it?

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:21 am

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 pm
It pathetic and sad and even a little incel chic but I’ve seen worse here both in the Girls with Guitars thread (...)
Shit. I just checked back and I made some posts in that thread back in the day.

:fp: :fp: :fp:

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 am

She Shreads is a nice media "dedicated to women and non binary guitarists & bassists; a community-driven, comprehensive answer to guitar culture and music media". A women guitarist media made for and by women guitarist.

You should take a look.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:59 am

Arthon wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 am
She Shreads is a nice media "dedicated to women and non binary guitarists & bassists; a community-driven, comprehensive answer to guitar culture and music media". A women guitarist media made for and by women guitarist.

You should take a look.
Maybe I could explain to the women how to get that elusive Clapton "woman tone".
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:01 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:59 am
Arthon wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 am

You should take a look.
Maybe I could explain to the women how to get that elusive Clapton "woman tone".
I may have been misunderstood. I was not directing my post to you, or anybody actually. I was just trying to tell that OSG people should take a look at how a media about women guitarist could be pertinent.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:08 pm

I was making a mansplaining joke.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:05 pm

hahahaha....imagine this was tossed around in a meeting, and somebody said yes. SO, who takes the fall for this. Dumb post by Fender. Blame it on the new guy. What kind of bridge is that?