Refinishing your #1 - Successes? Regrets?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Refinishing your #1 - Successes? Regrets?

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:41 am

Oh man! That looks amazing. I would leave it as is.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:47 am

There is nothing gross about this -- it looks great! Refinishes are not cheap; better put the money toward something else.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:10 am

This thread got pretty funny :D

But yeah, I'm back and forth on it. I just remember that story from Beatles Gear where Rick Derringer (the previous owner of Lucy) had it refinished from its original gold into its current color and found it an entirely different guitar. I'm a bit timid of that happening. Then again, I once just sprayed a MIM Strat black with spraypaint and it still sounded fine so like, I guess it all depends.

And thanks everyone for appreciating the guitar regardless. It's been a faithful friend and has appeared on every release I've put out since I got it. And yep, definitely put every one of those bruises on it myself.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

infiniteposse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by infiniteposse » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:37 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:10 am
This thread got pretty funny :D

But yeah, I'm back and forth on it. I just remember that story from Beatles Gear where Rick Derringer (the previous owner of Lucy) had it refinished from its original gold into its current color and found it an entirely different guitar. I'm a bit timid of that happening. Then again, I once just sprayed a MIM Strat black with spraypaint and it still sounded fine so like, I guess it all depends.

And thanks everyone for appreciating the guitar regardless. It's been a faithful friend and has appeared on every release I've put out since I got it. And yep, definitely put every one of those bruises on it myself.
Lucy was the first thing I thought of when I read your first post. That story has always been a cautionary tale to me. I think with the sort of close relationship you've got with the guitar, I'd personally be weary of changing something in a major way. It clearly works for you outside of the grime. I'll also agree with others...I think it looks dead sexy as-is.
Lee

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:39 am

yeah...that looks pretty awesome.

People pay Danocaster a lot of cash to make guitars look half as cool as that...
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:41 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:35 am

About a year and a half ago. It's only gotten more gruesome looking since:
Image20190909_115647 by Steve Bailey, on Flickr

9 years of honest blood, sweat, and effort into the thing.
Hahahaha yeah, I see why you were hesitant to share. This thing looks badass. Grimy, but worn in real nice. Honestly I'd leave it as is unless you absolutely cannot stand to look at it. This is the sort of thing people aspire to have happen with their guitars....like this is truly yours. Honest wear and tear. The sweat stains almost have that nicotine discoloring look to them.

It'd be one thing if it was a nice car that had some peeling paint and a faded hood, but something like this? Nah, I say leave it. I too would be worried it would feel like a different guitar once it was all over and done.

You got any photos with better light? Hard to see what the actual color looks like in that overcast/shaded light, I'd bet it looks better in brighter light.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:18 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:36 am
So TL:DR - Have you ever sent your #1 to get refinished and did the guitar retain whatever qualities you liked about it post-refin, or was it changed to the point that it felt/played differently?
I'm curious...

Do you like other aged looking guitars?

I like the look...but, I'm not super fond of my own Sonic Blue Thin Skin Jag. But I bet if it was someone else's, I'd love it.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:41 am

You know something to consider is just a good cleaning. If the finish is sticky you can probably get it cleaned off. I had a '66 jag that must have lived in a smoke house. It was very sticky. I cleaned off the stickyness with Napthait took a while but it left all the character of the wear. Unfortunatly It never got rid of the smoke smell so I had to let it go. I would try that before I went for a refin.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:10 pm

I'm with you, man. I think it looks gross. No advice on refins though.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:33 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:18 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:36 am
So TL:DR - Have you ever sent your #1 to get refinished and did the guitar retain whatever qualities you liked about it post-refin, or was it changed to the point that it felt/played differently?
I'm curious...

Do you like other aged looking guitars?

I like the look...but, I'm not super fond of my own Sonic Blue Thin Skin Jag. But I bet if it was someone else's, I'd love it.
Yes and no. I think sunburst guitars and black guitars age pretty nicely, but the more typical surf colored fenders seem to be more of a mixed bag as they get older. I'm definitely not a fan of that "pre-worn jeans" relic'ing that goes on with otherwise new guitars now though. Seems like a waste.
mcbrandt wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:10 pm
I'm with you, man. I think it looks gross. No advice on refins though.
My man.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:35 pm

rbrcbr wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:41 am

You got any photos with better light? Hard to see what the actual color looks like in that overcast/shaded light, I'd bet it looks better in brighter light.
I can try to take some tomorrow and see.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 pm

I'll add a +1 vote to the 'try cleaning it' chorus. Keep the wear, get rid of the skunge, restore the color.

Then, if it's still bugging you, do the refin.

Purple Sparkle is my vote though- so keep that in context when weighing my advice.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:22 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 pm
I'll add a +1 vote to the 'try cleaning it' chorus. Keep the wear, get rid of the skunge, restore the color.

Then, if it's still bugging you, do the refin.

Purple Sparkle is my vote though- so keep that in context when weighing my advice.
:D

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

d-rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by d-rock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:54 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:08 pm
I empathize with OP's fear of showing the guitar and being told how good it looks, though.

I have lots of aesthetic opinions that are controversial here. I think tort looks awful 99% of the time. I think 100% of non-vintage, non-spitfire tort looks terrible on every colour, and that the "good" stuff looks terrible on sunburst and every other colour that isn't white or certain shades of red. Not always bad enough to ruin the look of a guitar, but bad enough that the guitar would look better without it. The concept of "needs tort" comments blows my mind, because the guitar never ever does.

So go ahead and refinish away that wear. Just don't go sticking tort on it, and we can rejoice in our unpopular opinions :ph34r:
I'm surprised the mods don't flag this post and ban you from the board. :D

I think along similar lines with you on tort. I love it on Olympic white, but on most other colors it doesn't do anything for me. The only exception would be vintage tort on sunburst. Also, side rant...why does 99.9% of modern tort look SO bad?

To the OP, I don't have first hand experience as to whether your guitar will sound different after a refin. I would think the safest way to ensure the tone won't be changed is to not strip it to bare wood. Just get it down to the clear base coat that Hwy 1's have and go from there.

fleezinator
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fleezinator » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:16 pm

My worthless .02

I refin’d a guitar that I bought as a beater that then turned into my current #1. It was a black pawnshop squier that I bought living away from home for a few months. After moving back, my American PRS saw all the playtime once again.

I could never get on with the black color and kicked around the idea of leaning how to refin it myself at the start of the pandemic. Long story short, I refin’d, changed the nut, swapped pick ups & electronics and now it is the first of the 4 electrics I have to get picked up. Just by looking at it now, I get inspired to pick it up and play. From that sense, yeah, I’d consider my refin a success.

Aesthetically if it isn’t doing it for you now, I think you’ll find after refinishing, it will be a new glorious chapter in your number 1’s story.