seeking advise: which guitar do i buy?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).

which guitar should i buy?

electric XII
76%
gibson les paul
24%

Total votes: 33

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: seeking advise: which guitar do i buy?

Post by MKR » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:26 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:04 am
Now... who were the perverts that voted Les Paul, and what should we do to them?
i think one of them was me.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:46 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:04 am
Now... who were the perverts that voted Les Paul, and what should we do to them?
Make them go to "MyLesPaul" and talk about how to get the Paul Kossoff tone.

Seriously, though- just get a better Les Paul.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:49 am

wow i just got surprised. Called my local L&M and they're open for instore shopping (i thought they were gonna open tomorrow and i would feel like dealing with weekend lineups).

the12 string is in stock (only one) and it's dead in the store. I'm gonna go check it out.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 am

For $800.00US, you can get Epiphone's '59 Les Paul Outfit. It's a collaboration with Gibson's Custom Shop, and it's got all the things I'd do to an Epi LP: Burstbucker pickups; CTS 500k pots mounted directly onto the body and Mallory 150 tone capacitors; Switchcraft jack & switch; full maple top; long neck tenon; all that good stuff. They look pretty good, too.

Ah! Here's a full review, with video and all: The Big Review: Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard

I played one in my local store and was impressed. It was gone the next day, FWIW.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:55 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 am
Burstbucker pickups...
All things the same I would prefer these Burstbuckers to the 498/500 pickups that come in the "Tribute" (to what?) or the Studios.

Now, I will be the first to say that I don't dislike the 498/500 pickups. They are sort of a one trick pony, but shit, they do that trick like you wouldn't believe.

They are also more versatile than people think, certainly more versatile than I used to think. That being said, I have guitars that have other PAF pickups, and if I was limited to only one Gibson with one set of PAF pickups I'd go with the Burstbuckers and not the 498/500 set.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:35 am

I ripped the 498/500 set out of my LP Studio as soon as I could and put in Duncan Antiquities and an Emerson wiring harness. Which the Epi has already done.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 am

If Fender ever deign to make a lefty electric xii I’ll change my vote.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:39 pm

Haha. It was so obvious the poll would go into the Electric XII direction.

Can't tell anything about the newer Tribute series - but I own a 2011 Les Paul 60s Tribute (Honeyburst) with P-90s. And it's a wonderful guitar!
A workhorse for sure - while really a lot more beautiful than the totally stripped down unicolor Studio Les Pauls. Kind of a faux-binding with the contrast of the top to the sides of the guitar. Great sounds too - AND: for a Les Paul pretty light. Which might be a point of critic to some - for me it was perfect.
I love(d) the sound and feel - haven't played it in a while as I lent it to a good friend who owns a 90s Les Paul Tribute with Humbuckers and wants to find out what's the better choice regarding pickups for him. And with so many offset guitars I hardly ever choose to pick it up... but if I'd play in another Hardrock/Stoner Doom Band I'd probably pick it up more often.

Downsides: The bindings are as I said - faux - so not really there - and Les Pauls with Bindings are just prettier. Period.
And yes, the "finish" is really soft - like you drum on the back of your neck with your fingernails you may have the marks of them in the wood afterward. It also got belt buckle scratches all over the back. And if you are "blessed" with aggressive sweat - or are an excessive arm- or thumb-rester... this might be a thing to take into consideration too.
I still prefer that finish to the gloss poly of my Epipiphone.
The Gibson weakspot headstock is a thing to consider - and I might be a lucky bastard in that matter as it surely fell over like 10 times at least and it is still whole. (fingers crossed it stays that way).

Overall a real cool playing and - if that means anything to you - USA made guitar... but if you can get the XII for the same price - take that one. they are already discontinued and quite rare these days - and as it was already highlighted before: they do give you sounds the Les Paul and maybe all your other guitars can't - but the Les Paul might me the more versatile and solid player in that matter... BUT you might also get one of those way cheaper on the used market...

Also: concerning these polls: I love following them - and I love to hear/read other opinions and experiences (ideally of somebody who has that exact model, etc.) - and it's also inspiring to actually see different options (pickguard/pickup (cover)/color finish/headstock matching/neck choice polls).

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:52 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:39 pm
H

Overall a real cool playing and - if that means anything to you - USA made guitar... but if you can get the XII for the same price - take that one. they are already discontinued and quite rare these days - and as it was already highlighted before: they do give you sounds the Les Paul and maybe all your other guitars can't - but the Les Paul might me the more versatile and solid player in that matter... BUT you might also get one of those way cheaper on the used market...
Hey thanks for the informative post. I went to a store today and tried both guitars. The les Paul sounded great and played great. Yeah the finish was on the light side, but it did looks really nice although I wish it had more gloss. Personal perefence I just like thick poly finishes more due to familiarity. The xii played great too and I ended up buying it just because it offered something totally different from the other guitars I own.

... as for the bolder part in your post...What? That’s news to me. I had no idea. I knew they were rare, but I never really came across ANY in Canada. The one that I bought was the second one I had seen for sales Online or in person. Our big chain never listed these for sale either. I guess I now feel lucky to own one!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:28 pm

MKR wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:52 pm
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:39 pm
H

Hey thanks for the informative post. I went to a store today and tried both guitars. The les Paul sounded great and played great. Yeah the finish was on the light side, but it did looks really nice although I wish it had more gloss. Personal perefence I just like thick poly finishes more due to familiarity. The xii played great too and I ended up buying it just because it offered something totally different from the other guitars I own.

... as for the bolder part in your post...What? That’s news to me. I had no idea. I knew they were rare, but I never really came across ANY in Canada. The one that I bought was the second one I had seen for sales Online or in person. Our big chain never listed these for sale either. I guess I now feel lucky to own one!
I might be wrong with that one - but it's sold out everywhere in Europe and Fender hasn't listed the whole series on their homepage anymore... that combined lets me believe the whole series was discontinued (well it was somewhat of a limited edition thing like the road worn series... at least to my understanding... Parallel Universe is now in its second run - but once the models are gone I'm not sure they'd bring them back) - so congrats to your purchase! I'd love to have the Olympic White one! ... or I have to try one of the Revelation XIIs...if they'd be available anywhere around here... with Brexit and Ovid I don't know when my next UK trip might take place... got some other destinations on my list that got more priority.

Cornelius Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Cornelius Plum » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:36 pm

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:28 pm
With Brexit and Ovid I don't know when my next UK trip might take place... got some other destinations on my list that got more priority.
In nova fert animus mutatas dicere formas
corpora; di, coeptis (nam vos mutastis et illas)
adspirate meis primaque ab origine mundi
ad mea perpetuum deducite tempora carmen!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Cornelius Plum wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:36 pm
In nova fert animus mutatas dicere formas
corpora; di, coeptis (nam vos mutastis et illas)
adspirate meis primaque ab origine mundi
ad mea perpetuum deducite tempora carmen!

[/quote]

:D
Aaaahhh, I must confess my latin is a bit rusty. It has been quite some time... 13 years actually.
And I honestly don‘t know whether it was a typo or autocorrection...

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:10 am

MKR wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:21 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:04 pm

Whatever the fuck that means.

Les Paul Studio guitars are a dime a dozen. The satin finish on this one will wear quickly. It's a cut rate guitar that is probably unexceptional in every way.
ouch! and this is coming form a gibson guy...

i was expecting a different take from you. By all accounts these recent tribute LPs are quite nice. I have yet to come across a bad review on them.

Also i will say this: I do not see myself being able to afford a "standard" series gibson. What do they run... $2000+? That's just out of my league. I have always been an epiphone guy... so getting an entry level gibson would seem like a pretty big step up. The only one i had before was a melody maker with 2 p90s and i gotta say it was nice. It just felt like it cut too many corners (super thin body, no pickguard, thin finish, etc). This tribute series looks a lot better. full thickness (i think), nice pickups, nice neck inlays, the finish looks good on youtube clips. I'll just say it got my attention.
I haven’t played that many new Epiphones, but based on the few that I have, as well as my new, 2020 Inspired by Gibson Firebird, I’m not confident that a low end Gibson is necessarily that much of a step up, if at all. You may be assured a slightly better resale figure, but objectively and subjectively speaking, I’m not confident that they’re better guitars; the Epiphone’s, particularly the IBG models, are really quite nice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 am

I got the Epiphone '59 Standard, and it's as good, if not better, than anything shy of Gibson's +$2K stuff. I rave about it in my MNGD thread. It's sexy, too: