NGD: Electrical Guitar Company Tyranny Doublecut Vintage White

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Electrical Guitar Company Tyranny Doublecut Vintage White

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:14 am

I ordered this in March 2019 and received it back in November 2019, however obviously stuff hit the fan shortly after and I never got around to announcing it. It was a beautiful day today so I thought I'd take some decent pics.

The Tyranny is the entry-level model that Electrical Guitar Company offer price-wise but there's really no difference between it's customization options and the higher-end models except the body shape and the body material as you can get acrylic with the other models. It's still entirely aluminium and neck-through, 25.5 scale.

I ordered it in Vintage White, it just looks white in pics but is more of a cream-white in person. The humbuckers are supposed to be copies of the original Travis Bean style wide-range pickups, very open and airy sounding, great for the cleanish neo-funk / math rock stlye stuff I play. They sound unreal with distortion too, they don't lose definition in any way and do the same thing sound-wise like a seriously chunky Telecaster bridge pickup does under gain.

I've never had a doublecut style guitar before and I absolutely love it, the upper fret access is insane, especially with the thinness of the neck too. I have really small hands so the thinner usually the better for me. The neck comes in polished or brushed, I ordered brushed for the satin feel and it turned out great. I have a Jazzmaster build with the polished neck and I much prefer the brushed feel for less of a sticky feel.

I also asked for a coil tap and a killswitch as options on the pots activated push-pull style, been doing a lot of recording recently and it makes for a seriously versatile guitar. I'll be giving it it's first live outing at a festival coming up in September and I can't wait to play it live.

Anyway here's pics!

Image Image Image Image

And with it's older brother build Image

You can check out the specs on that one here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110415&p=1529287&hi ... c#p1529287
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Electrical Guitar Company Tyranny Doublecut Vintage White

Post by Flurko » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:27 am

Very nice ! The Tyranny model took a while to grow on me but now it's the only variation of a doublecut tele that I actually enjoy. The crazy EGC upper fret access is really well suited to this kind of shape.
Is it particularly heavy ?

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:11 am

that looks great! An ex-bandmade of mine has an EGC that he didn't love, but that I was a big fan of. One of my other friends has EGC #13, which he bought for $1300 off Craigslist in Boston about a decade ago. I got to play that one, and that one was SUPER special.

Really cool guitars. I hope to get on that aluminum life at some point.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:33 pm

Awesome! It looks great! If the pickups are anything like those in my old TB1000S, then they are truly something to behold. The clarity is unlike anything else. Add in the sustain of the aluminum and it just rings and sustains like magic.

I've yet to own an EGC but I really want to procure one of his new Travis Beans when my finances get a bit better than they are now. I've heard lots of great things about those too.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:18 pm

I’m a huge EGC fan…sweet!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:16 am

Congratulations on this! These look really cool. I have yet to play an aluminum-necked guitar, but would like to give it a try one of these days. Does it feel terribly different from playing on a guitar with a wooden neck?

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:51 am

Love it! I’ve come very close to ordering a EGC on multiple occasions. Just alot of money to throw down on something I’m not even sure I’ll like.

Congrats though! I’m sure it’s a blast to play.

Strango
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Strango » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Nice! Reminds me of an Epi Wilshire/Crestwood. That upper fret access looks pretty great, haha.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, much appreciated!
Very nice ! The Tyranny model took a while to grow on me but now it's the only variation of a doublecut tele that I actually enjoy. The crazy EGC upper fret access is really well suited to this kind of shape.
Is it particularly heavy ?
It really isn't heavy at all considering it's construction and material, it weighs about 10 pounds which is a lot lighter than quite a few Les Pauls.
Congratulations on this! These look really cool. I have yet to play an aluminum-necked guitar, but would like to give it a try one of these days. Does it feel terribly different from playing on a guitar with a wooden neck?
I don't think it honestly feels that different, the only issue is that once you get used to aluminium necks it becomes weird to go back to wood. Everything starts to feel kindve toylike in comparison, and there's the totally unexplainable feeling that just maybe you might snap the wood neck if you push too hard on it :fp:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:31 pm

I've hovered over the 'buy it now' button on an EGC on many occasions. Too many bad stories about lack of contact and wildly fluid completion dates kept me from committing though.

If you ordered yours and received it within the same year it seems you are one of the lucky ones - there was a lot of discontent over on the Electrical Audio forum (a veritable epicentre of demand for Aluminium guitars) for a while that soured the company's allure with regards wait times.

That aside, I'm very jealous and it looks killer!
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:31 pm
I've hovered over the 'buy it now' button on an EGC on many occasions. Too many bad stories about lack of contact and wildly fluid completion dates kept me from committing though.

If you ordered yours and received it within the same year it seems you are one of the lucky ones - there was a lot of discontent over on the Electrical Audio forum (a veritable epicentre of demand for Aluminium guitars) for a while that soured the company's allure with regards wait times.

That aside, I'm very jealous and it looks killer!
Oh I'm highly aware of the controversy around insane wait times etc now but at the time I was in the dark about it, I had ordered it in March and about a week later shit hit the fan on the Aluminium Axes facebook group where all the ugly stuff came to the surface. There was one poor dude in Russia who'd been waiting SEVEN Years for a 7 string model.

I've had a few interactions with the owner before and they've all been perfectly pleasant but he seems to have gone off the deep end a little bit recently, he posted in the Aluminium Axes group ranting about how only EGC make a superior Aluminium product and every other builder (of which there are now many and they're all great, check out TTTides or DNG guitars) make hot garbage necks which will snap and kill you if you use them.

I think the best bet with EGC is never to order new, buy already made guitars directly from their Reverb when they list it or wait for 2nd hand models to become available. If you're patient you can grab something with your desired specs without any worries.

I'm just glad to have gotten mine unscathed, it's a wonderful sounding and playing instrument for sure but there is a lot of controversy around the company itself.