Incoming NGD

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Incoming NGD

Post by cincinnatiharry » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:04 am

So.

Back in the 90s the only guitars I could ever afford were Fenders. Gibsons were just unobtainable. Usually I could get a Telecaster or Stratocaster. This (and other things) made me HATE Fender. When I got a '96(?) Gretsch Duane Eddy I never bought or played a Telecaster again really.

This weekend, as it is every December my little coastal down of Dingle, Co. Kerry, Ireland hosts a music event called "Other Voices". It's a TV show filmed in an old church and it's been going for 20 years. They have a mix of new artists as well as established ones. Everyone from Any Winehouse to the National have played it. At the same time, bands that are filmed (and others) play the other venues in town and you can go see them live (heck, I played the Other Voices Festival in 2018, not on TV of course.)

Anyways, I saw a band called Sprints play on Friday night, the guitarists had Telecasters. They had a great tone.

https://youtu.be/nWyosWPjgZk?t=3359

Last night they played a clip of Ana Calvi playing in 2011 between sets. Her tone was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-XcVFwpGlc

So.

I said "fuck it" and bought this.

€611 "b-stock".

https://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_player ... db0cefebf1

A birthday present for myself.
"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD

Post by jthomas » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:35 am

Congrats. I never had much interest in teles... but a couple of years ago decided to add one to my stable, just to round things out. I found a new MIM Standard for a good price and really enjoyed it. Hope that yours is a keeper.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:42 pm

Very cool. Very classy color combo. Hope you love it. Happy birthday!

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:10 pm

A proper birthday present, enjoy!

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:23 pm

sometimes one just can't resist :P hope you'll like it!
I really love me some tele sounds, but I cound never get along with the ergonomics, so I simply put some tele-ish pups in some of my guitars. not really sounding like teles, but tele-ish enough for me.
enjoy the new guitar!
Nobody exists on purpose.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:37 pm

>:(
fuzzking wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:23 pm
sometimes one just can't resist :P hope you'll like it!
I really love me some tele sounds, but I cound never get along with the ergonomics, so I simply put some tele-ish pups in some of my guitars. not really sounding like teles, but tele-ish enough for me.
enjoy the new guitar!
Yeah, I can’t wait for it. It it seems DHL is happy to let it sit in Germany for a while >:(

I think one week is long enough to get a guitar from Germany ro Ireland

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:05 am

€130. >:( >:( >:( >:(

I will explain.

So I will never buy the "b-stock" sale guitars from Thomann.de I bought this Telecaster for €611 (normally €666) and I though I may have a scratch. When it showed up yesterday (2 weeks later) guess what? the neck is back bowed. Clearly Thomann.de don't inspect guitars before they ship them out. It could play cowboy chords fine but in the middle of the neck every fretted note choked out. FML

I got the thrust rod adjustment tool and that truss rod did not want to budge, but I finally got it moving and released the tension. Now, I can set up guitars for shit but I understand the basics, taking the tension off the truss rod improved things but notes many notes are dead and there's a lot of buzzing. I will have to pay my luthier €130 to straighten this Telecaster out.

On the plus side, the tone I am getting from hearing the Telecaster though my Orange Terror Stamp and Fender Princeton is exactly what I wanted. Just pisses me off that my self Birthday present arrived unplayable.

So it will cost me €130 to make this €611 MIM Telecaster right... €741.00 after all is said and done (not including petrol and new strings). So I would have been much better off buying the €666 new Telecaster and versus trying to save money and getting the b-stock.

Still, it looks good with my pink Earth III strap.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:48 am

cincinnatiharry wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:05 am

I will explain.

So I will never buy the "b-stock" sale guitars from Thomann.de I bought this Telecaster for €611 (normally €666) and I though I may have a scratch. When it showed up yesterday (2 weeks later) guess what? the neck is back bowed. Clearly Thomann.de don't inspect guitars before they ship them out. It could play cowboy chords fine but in the middle of the neck every fretted note choked out. FML

I got the thrust rod adjustment tool and that truss rod did not want to budge, but I finally got it moving and released the tension. Now, I can set up guitars for shit but I understand the basics, taking the tension off the truss rod improved things but notes many notes are dead and there's a lot of buzzing. I will have to pay my luthier €130 to straighten this Telecaster out.

On the plus side, the tone I am getting from hearing the Telecaster though my Orange Terror Stamp and Fender Princeton is exactly what I wanted. Just pisses me off that my self Birthday present arrived unplayable.

So it will cost me €130 to make this €611 MIM Telecaster right... €741.00 after all is said and done (not including petrol and new strings). So I would have been much better off buying the €666 new Telecaster and versus trying to save money and getting the b-stock.

That's some shit luck for sure. How long ago did you adjust the truss rod? Sometimes it takes a day or two for them to settle properly and if you've done quite a large adjustment then it definitely needs time to settle.

How much did you have to turn the truss rod? half a turn? a full turn? more?
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:06 am

Ask Thomann for a partial refund?

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:08 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:48 am
cincinnatiharry wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:05 am

I will explain.

That's some shit luck for sure. How long ago did you adjust the truss rod? Sometimes it takes a day or two for them to settle properly and if you've done quite a large adjustment then it definitely needs time to settle.

How much did you have to turn the truss rod? half a turn? a full turn? more?
Half. Been “settling” for a day now. It improved, definitely, but it still needs a proper setup. Dead notes on many frets. Buzzing. Just a shit setup that needs to be remedied

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:08 am

Zork wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:06 am
Ask Thomann for a partial refund?
Did that. Waiting.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:47 am

cincinnatiharry wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:08 am

Half. Been “settling” for a day now. It improved, definitely, but it still needs a proper setup. Dead notes on many frets. Buzzing. Just a shit setup that needs to be remedied
Yeah, that sounds about right then. You might be able to get a bit further towards better with another 1/4 turn or more... it takes a fair while for the wood in a neck to go from one extreme to another comfortably. If you can get it straight, and have room to spare in the truss rod then it should be not too much drama to rectify. Patience is key at this point.

I had an old guitar that had been fucked with years ago and had a massive back bow thanks to someone clearly trying to adjust things with no knowledge. I kept it in the airing cupboard where it was just a little warmer than the rest of the house, but nice and dry, for about a week - every day adjusting the truss rod 1/8 or so of a turn. after a few days it was back to straight and, by the end, I had it set to a proper relief. As far as correcting the neck, this is essentially all a tech is likely to do. Then, if needed, a fret dress - which isn't unheard of of a new guitar these days. So I wouldn't rush to spend your money if you don't have to.

Just my 2c
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:06 pm

Thomann is in Germany, so does that make this not very returnable? This seems like something of a lemon and surely they could pass along a better guitar your way.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:56 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:06 pm
Thomann is in Germany, so does that make this not very returnable? This seems like something of a lemon and surely they could pass along a better guitar your way.
I contacted Thomann and suggested they either give me €130 for the luthier or I return it

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:59 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:47 am
cincinnatiharry wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:08 am

Yeah, that sounds about right then. You might be able to get a bit further towards better with another 1/4 turn or more... it takes a fair while for the wood in a neck to go from one extreme to another comfortably. If you can get it straight, and have room to spare in the truss rod then it should be not too much drama to rectify. Patience is key at this point.

I had an old guitar that had been fucked with years ago and had a massive back bow thanks to someone clearly trying to adjust things with no knowledge. I kept it in the airing cupboard where it was just a little warmer than the rest of the house, but nice and dry, for about a week - every day adjusting the truss rod 1/8 or so of a turn. after a few days it was back to straight and, by the end, I had it set to a proper relief. As far as correcting the neck, this is essentially all a tech is likely to do. Then, if needed, a fret dress - which isn't unheard of of a new guitar these days. So I wouldn't rush to spend your money if you don't have to.

Just my 2c
Good advice and a good story. I won’t take stuff to “guitar techs”, too many bad experiences but I do take guitars to luthiers.

I had one luthier, dude was AMAZING inexpensive and FAST. Literally a 1 day turn around on most issues, sadly he died.

The luthier I use now is good, but also popular, a 2 week wait and cost of €70 to €130 for a setup is the norm with him. A great guy too