NGD Gretsch - help me decide!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Gretsch - help me decide!

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:59 pm

sciuri wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 pm
I’ve ordered a TruArc for the DuoJet! Tim has been great to communicate with. That video clip is great and really makes me GAS for dynasonic pickups, too. It also reminded me, I might swap the Bigsby handle for a Chet Atkins style just for the looks. Do you know how much they differ in terms of playing ergonomics? (Or which would be longer like a JM/Jag trem?)
Cool! I haven't had a Chet Atkins style handle but would like to try one out. Some folks like them, some prefer the regular Bigsby butter knife handle. I think there is a length difference with the Chet having a longer arm. I could be wrong as my memory is a wee bit fuzzy but I think the Chet arm movement was limited as compared to the regular butter knife handle Bigsby. Not that you can really do a full dive bomb (at least, I can't :derp: ) with either. Hopefully, someone on here can chime in that has had experience with the Chet arm.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:01 pm

Sorry for the long post! Perhaps these mods might help someone in the future...

I wasn’t bonding with my G6128T-59 Duo Jet and it took me a while to figure out why. I wanted more sustain, the strings felt stiff, and the Bigsby felt very limited, especially compared to a dialed in Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato. So, I finally got around to adding a Tru-Arc bridge, Curt Mangan round core strings, a Chet Atkins wire Bigsby arm, and a new Bigsby spring. Now, I love the Bigsby and the overall feel of the guitar way better! I’m still mixed about the V shaped neck and wonder if I’d like the C or U profiles that other Duo Jets have.

1) The Tru-Arc bridge — totally worth it! The Space Control bridge looks pretty cool. But the stainless steel Tru-Arc definitely has more sustain and allows more behind the bridge resonance/harmonics to come out, which I love about offsets. For me, it makes for a livelier and more gratifying playing experience. I imagine a Compton bridge would be just as great, and it might be fun to try an aluminum version of either some day. The Tru-Arc is also a rocking bridge, which might be adding to the overall improvement of the Bigsby’s feel for me.

2) Roundcore strings — I’ve never been picky about strings but they definitely feel more slinky and seem to feel better than hexcore strings for this guitar.

3) The Chet Atkins wire Bigsby arm — I was starting to think maybe I just don’t like Bigsby’s, but the Chet arm makes it feel much closer to an offset vibrato. It is 1000% better and more versatile than the stock arm for me! Here’s why:
  • a) It is longer and the length is adjustable. The stock arm doesn’t extend very far past the bridge pickup, while the 8” Chet arm could extend to the neck pickup if I wanted it to, and for larger bodies, it also comes in a 10” version. I often like to hold the vibrato arm with my pinky and ring finger as I pick, rather than having to reach back to the arm between notes, so the length of the arm is important to me.
  • b) The Chet assembly has 360 degrees of swivel. I often like to have the vibrato arm hover over or near the strings (exaggerated in this photo). The stock arm assembly has a notch that prevents the arm from swiveling over the strings at all, which makes it feel very limiting to me. Some people ground down the notch, and Callaham makes a 360 arm bracket (>$40) as well.
  • c) The Chet arm with its bent shape can be rotated along its shaft to change the angle and adjust how high it sits above the guitar, and it can go from quite low to quite high, using just an allen wrench. The stock arm is flat and pretty much stuck at one height, and any adjustment requires trying different springs, washers, or coins.
  • d) Along with the ergonomic angles, being cylindrical instead of flat allows for better control in both upwards and downwards directions, so you can bend notes sharp and control the flutter amplitude more. The flat stock arm for me feels less controlled.

4) A longer Bigsby spring — Because of how the Chet arm is angled, it does require a longer spring (1” or 1 1/8” compared to the stock 7/8”). I tried a Reverend soft spring (which only comes in one size), and I liked the wobbly feel of it, but in resting position it compresses more than the stock spring does, so both vibrato arms rested too low for my setup. YMMV. The stiffer Bigsby 1” or 1 1/8” springs work great for me though.

I’ve read great things about the Duane Eddy Bigsby arm as well, but I’m very happy with the Chet arm! Altogether, the ergonomics and adjustability make it way more versatile than the stock arm for controlling different speeds, depths, and attacks of vibrato. Aesthetically it doesn’t look as streamlined, but I like it in a sort of vintage-y or even steampunk kind of way.

I realize I shouldn’t try to make a guitar into something it’s not, but these mods have made it a lot more familiar for someone going from offsets to a Gretsch, and it has opened up my eyes as to how good a Bigsby can be.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:15 pm

Cool mods! I’ve been reading about those bridges. The Space Control that I have works fine but I’ve always preferred something like the bar that my 6119 has. I like the extra mass and no moving pieces. The improved intonation of the one you have is pretty enticing too. I may opt for one of those. I’ve been using Bigsbys for so long that I’ve grown used to the shorter arms and different feel, compared to my Jags and Jazzmaster, so I’m lucky to be content with what I have there. I have 5 Bigsby equipped guitars :D :wtf:
A death’s head ring upon his finger

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:24 am

That’s absolutely glorious. Two switches, long bigsby, solid bridge. My idea of the perfect gretsch.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:14 am

That's gorgeous! I've been curious about TruArc stuff, but I opted for the Compton bridge for my Duo Jet. It's aluminum (like all of the bridges I've gotten from them) and I really love it. Way better than the tuneomatic that was on mine.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:05 am

Most of my Gretsch guitars have a Tru-Arc. I have the stock Space Control bridge on my Country Club and I never got around to getting a Tru-Arc bridge to swap it out - maybe I'll get one to compare. I got to know Tim Harmon of Tru-Arc through Gretsch events called Roundups. Awesome dude. Lot of Gretsch players used to hang out on now defunct The Gretsch Pages forums. There's a "Temporary Gretschpages Group" on Facebook now where refugees from The Gretsch Pages hang out. A lot of us were/still also on Gretsch-Talk.com, too.

As well, I've heard nothing but outstanding feedback from Compton bridge owners via Gretsch-Talk.com. 8)

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:09 am

Thanks, guys! I'm really impressed with the differences these tweaks made, and it almost feels like I got a new guitar lol.

Surfysonic wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:05 am
I got to know Tim Harmon of Tru-Arc through Gretsch events called Roundups. Awesome dude.
Tim was great to work with. Now I wonder how a Tru-Arc bridge would be in a Jazzmaster or Jaguar! Have you ever tried it?

There was a thread here. If I ever end up with an offset with a TOM bridge, I might have to try that.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:04 am

sciuri wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:09 am
Thanks, guys! I'm really impressed with the differences these tweaks made, and it almost feels like I got a new guitar lol.

Surfysonic wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:05 am
I got to know Tim Harmon of Tru-Arc through Gretsch events called Roundups. Awesome dude.
Tim was great to work with. Now I wonder how a Tru-Arc bridge would be in a Jazzmaster or Jaguar! Have you ever tried it?

There was a thread here. If I ever end up with an offset with a TOM bridge, I might have to try that.
I tried putting one of my spare Tru=Arc bridges on my (now gone) Squier Contemporary Jaguar HH but the bridge posts were too big for the Tru-Arc bridge's post holes. It was a very nice guitar but I tend to move on gear that doesn't get much play time.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:23 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:04 am

I love that Bassman!!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:32 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:23 am
Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:04 am

I love that Bassman!!
Thanks - sold it to DeathJag (Daniel) some years back. We met halfway in Tennessee (me from Maryland, Dan from New Orleans, LA). Quite the adventure. Hopefully, he's still enjoying it! :)

I've been thinking about getting another vintage Bassman to use for both guitar and bass - pairing it up with my Rumble 1000 4x10 cab. If it sounds great, I hope it will finally quash my yearning for a early '60s Fender Concert (4x10) which is going to be just too heavy for me down the road and likely more difficult to move on when that eventual day will come. :whistle:

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:41 am

I love older Bassmans! I’ve had a couple and have a ‘66 now which sounds great. I’ve never had an earlier one with the presence control though. Setzer sure does get great sounds out of them. Though I figure he could make anything sound fantastic.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:55 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:41 am
I love older Bassmans! I’ve had a couple and have a ‘66 now which sounds great. I’ve never had an earlier one with the presence control though. Setzer sure does get great sounds out of them. Though I figure he could make anything sound fantastic.
Nice! Yeah, I'm likely to get a transitional or black panel at this point as the cost of the blonde/brown panel amps are ever increasing. At my first national Gretsch Roundup in Nashville, my friend and I were very fortunate to meet Brian Setzer at a local guitar shop. He was out shopping with his wife and kids. Got a photo of it somewhere - very gracious and awesome dude. Found it! :)

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:54 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:55 am
Found it! :)
That’s awesome!!! I’ve been a huge fan of his since my early teens. He has always come across as down to earth and level headed in interviews and the like. I’m glad to hear he’s cool in real life. Like Tom Petty was :-* 8)

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:52 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:55 am
Nice! Yeah, I'm likely to get a transitional or black panel at this point as the cost of the blonde/brown panel amps are ever increasing. At my first national Gretsch Roundup in Nashville, my friend and I were very fortunate to meet Brian Setzer at a local guitar shop. He was out shopping with his wife and kids. Got a photo of it somewhere - very gracious and awesome dude. Found it! :)
That's awesome! Always fun to run into guitar heroes. 🤩