NGD Gretsch - help me decide!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Gretsch - help me decide!

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:37 pm

Oooph, that Duo’s one of my dream guitars, almost.

I saw a clip of Jeff Beck playing around with one recently, Guild-branded wiggle-stick & Dynasonics. It only helped to re-affirm what I already knew.

Drop dead gorgeous guitar!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:43 pm

sciuri wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:15 am
Glad to hear it turned out well for you! Did you also change the wiring harness? I thought about getting a TV Jones pre-wired harness, but it would require reaming the knob holes to fit the larger pots, which I kind of want to avoid doing. I'm not aware of another readily available pre-wired harness that would fit metric-sized holes, and re-wiring a hollow body sounds like a PITA and something I'd have to pay someone to do.
No, I didnt change the wiring harness but I had to buy the universal mount. My luthier did the pickups change.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:04 pm

I'm as big a fan of Gretsch guitars as I am Fender & Squier guitars. My first Gretsch was a black G5122 (double cut and predecessor to the G5422). I actually prefer the Gretsch doublecut look over the Gibson ES-335. :whistle: I eventually moved it on as I worked my way up to a Professional series Gretsch by aqcuiring a used G6120BS Chet Atkins Hollow Body that I used to gig with.

I'm a long-time member of the Gretsch-Talk msg board as well as the now seemingly defunct Gretsch Pages. I've attended a number of Gretsch fan gatherings (even won a Gretsch G6196T-59 Vintage Select ’59 Country Club one year! ). A lot of us Gretsch guys started out with an Electromatic and used it as a modding platform until working our way up to the Professional series (Chet Atkins Hollow Body, Falcon, Country Club, Duo Jet, etc.). I went through a lot of Gretsch guitars - some happy to move on, some I'm still kicking myself for letting go. As the Professional series cost has risen considerably, it's doubtful I can justify getting a replacement for the ones I regret letting go. If value is a consideration, then I'd hang on to the Duo Jet for that alone.

MIK Gretsch Electromatic guitars are very well built guitars and I currently own two - a Gretsch G5410T Electromatic "Rat Rod" and a Gretsch G5422TG-LTD Electromatic Limited Edition (got this year) in Midnight Sapphire with stock Blacktop Filter'Trons.

I wasn't a big fan of the Blacktop Filter'Trons for a long time, having been a bit spoiled by TV Jones variety of excellent pickups like the TV Jones Classic Filter'Tron and the stock Gretsch Filter'Trons. Filter'Trons are my favorite overall humbucker. That said, I'm finally leaving the stock Blacktop Filter'Trons in my G5422TG-LTD as they work really well and currently, I guess I'm not inclined to do modding work on a hollow body if I don't really need to.

I had my G5410T Rat Rod modded with Fralin Hum-Cancelling Dogear P90s (done by my guitar tech) and a few years later, I performed my first hollow body mod and swapped out my Chet Atkins Hollow Body's stock Filter'Trons with TV Jones T-Armonds (single-coil). The T-Armonds are what some folks swap out their stock Gretsch Dynasonic pickups with.

If you are emotionally attached to your first Gretsch, then hang onto it and mod it if you want. Swapping out pickups on a hollow body guitar can be tricky but even a novice like me did it successfully. It's a great modding learning experience. There are plenty of videos out there if you're new to this modding procedure (cool if you're already experienced!). I recommend checking out TV Jones' video on it. He also sells surgical-type tubing that greatly helps with the control pots and switch. If you decide to swap out pots, keep in mind the MIK Electromatic' control pots have smaller holes that will have to be widened with a dremel to accomodate a wiring harness' pots like you can get from TV Jones.

Like others have mentioned, Gretsch Professional series guitars (MIJ) are superior built guitars over the MIK Electromatics. While they're awesome guitars in their own right, there's a significant difference in quality when compared to the pro-level Gretsch guitars. It sounds like you've bonded well with the Duo-Jet and really love it. If you can only keep one, stick with the Duo Jet.

Personally, I'd keep both! Here's my Gretsch guitars - including Electromatic and Professional series. Also included is my vintage '65 - '68 Astro-Jet body with a custom built neck, Mastery bridge and tremolo, TV Jones T-Armond pickups, and pro Sonic Blue finish. My punky little Gretsch FSR G5135 CVT Electromatic (MIC) has a terrific beefy neck. I went through a couple of pickup mods on it, replacing the stock Blacktop Filter'trons. First with TV Jones T90s then, with a bit of routing butchery on my part :fp: , I put in the G6120BS's stock Filter'Trons in it. It's a keeper and really rips!

Good luck with your final decision! :)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:50 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:04 pm
I was looking forward to your thoughts! I’m glad to hear you’ve appreciated both MIJ and MIK makes. I also prefer the Gretsch double cut shape over the ES-335’s Mickey Mouse ears. The Gretsch forums are great and really informative.

The Country Club - what an amazing thing to win as a prize!!!

If money were no object, a silver falcon double cutaway might be the one for me, where a modded up black G5422T would be a modest approximation.

DaddyDom wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:33 am
Weirdly, I picked up a pal's very dusty Electromatic (MIK?) last weekend.

I have held and sniffed a vintage Chet but this was my first ever modern Gretsch action.

It just fit my hand absolutely perfectly, I never felt a neck I liked more on first impressions. I'm even looking at one now. I don't care about the double-cut aesthetics, it was all about the feel for me.
Interesting… I feel that way about every Guild electric I’ve picked up. I like the electromatic neck for sure, and the binding and fret ends are really well done. I think I read somewhere that the electromatics have easier upper fret access compared to the equivalent pro vintage select models, too.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:06 pm

sciuri wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:50 pm
Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:04 pm
I was looking forward to your thoughts! I’m glad to hear you’ve appreciated both MIJ and MIK makes. I also prefer the Gretsch double cut shape over the ES-335’s Mickey Mouse ears. The Gretsch forums are great and really informative.

The Country Club - what an amazing thing to win as a prize!!!

If money were no object, a silver falcon double cutaway might be the one for me, where a modded up black G5422T would be a modest approximation.
Cool! Even the MII and MIC Streamliner guitars are very nice - unfortunately for me, I find the necks a tad too thin but otherwise, they're great guitars for the price. 8)

Yeah, the CC was the top prize at the giveaway even hosted by Joe Carducci at one of the Gretsch Roundups (gatherings) by Gretsch fans in the Nashville area back in 2016. I was simply hoping to win a hat! :derp: I hope to hold onto the CC for a very, very long time. That was the year my wife and I got married and the Nashville trip/Gretsch event was our honeymoon. Nashville is an awesome city. :)

I've been GASsing for the midnight sapphire Gretsch G6136TG Players Edition Falcon but they're a bit out of my price range. The lowest one I can see on Reverb currently goes for about $3k + shipping. I decided instead to get the Gretsch G5422TG-LTD Electromatic Limited Edition in midnight sapphire and I think it was the right move for me - thinner body and the dc shape are plusses as my other 3 Gretsch hollowbodies are single cut archtops. I still wouldn't turn away the PE Falcon - someday I'll find a great deal on one. :whistle:

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:12 am

Yeah I'm here for the both camp. But if you absolutely have to keep just one, it's the Duo Jet all day long. It'll only grow in value in the long run.

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:36 am

Another vote for the Duo-Jet. The Electromatics are great guitars for the cash, but there's plenty of them out there if you end up having seller's remorse.
Kenny

dj89
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dj89 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:15 am

MIJ Gretsch are amazing guitars.
I managed to pickup one of these great Rosewood Tennys in 2021 and love it dearly.

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:35 am

I think I've decided to keep the MIJ Duo Jet. The only mod I'll make is to try out a TruArc bridge. The space control is ok but just curious. The chambered body is a unique sound acoustically... almost banjo like in its percussiveness. I have other chambered or weight-relieved guitars, but none of them sound like this one.

So with that, one of my other guitars has to go... I think it's between my MIK Epiphone ES-175 Premium vs MIK Gretsch G5422T. I'm inspired to play different genres with each -- more jazz, old blues, and fingerpicking with the ES-175 (wound G), versus more rock, indie, and blues with the MIK Gretsch. The Gretsch I'd probably want to do some mods which would add up. And the Epiphone might be slightly harder to find.

But I don't have space to keep everything! What do you think?

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:14 am

sciuri wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:35 am
I think I've decided to keep the MIJ Duo Jet. The only mod I'll make is to try out a TruArc bridge. The space control is ok but just curious. The chambered body is a unique sound acoustically... almost banjo like in its percussiveness. I have other chambered or weight-relieved guitars, but but none of them sound like this one.

So with that, one of my guitars has to go... I think it's between my MIK Epiphone ES-175 Premium vs MIK Gretsch G5422T. I'm inspired to play different genres with each -- more jazz, old blues, and fingerpicking with the ES-175 (wound G), versus more rock, indie, and blues with the MIK Gretsch. And the Gretsch I'd probably want to do some mods which would add up. But I don't have space to keep everything! What do you think?...
Re: the Tru-Arc bridge - I put them on every Gretsch I own save the Mastery on my Astro-Jet build. I got to know Tim Harmon (Tru-Arc maker) via the Gretsch Pages and Gretsch Roundup events since like 2007 or so. Wonderful, interesting, and funny dude. I find that Tru-Arc bridges bring out a brighter (not shrill), enhancing tone. To me, they really make the guitar come alive. Tim has so many Tru-Arc bridge options and he'll work with you to make sure you're getting a great bridge for your guitar. His YouTube handle is Proteus54 if you want to check out his content. Here's a fun video from 2009 where he plays a Duo Jet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FChKOnkZtGU.

Compton bridges are worth checking out, too (check out the Compton Bridge website and/or Gretsch-Talk msg bd for further info). I never got one but they're as highly regarded as the Tru-Arcs.

As to which one to keep - I'd personally hang on to the Epiphone ES-175 Premium but both guitars are fairly available on Reverb if you end up regretting letting either one go. The Gretsch G5422T probably even more so, being a newer model.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:49 am

Both are great. Congrats! I'd say, if you are planning to get TVJones pups, keep the Epi. Install the TVs on it and you will have the best of both worlds, and a very unique jazz box.
(I'm a fan of the Classic on the neck, and the + on the bridge position .... Great sound clean. Glorious distorted!)
Good luck.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:40 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:14 am
Compton bridges are worth checking out, too (check out the Compton Bridge website and/or Gretsch-Talk msg bd for further info). I never got one but they're as highly regarded as the Tru-Arcs.
No experience with a Compton bridge on a Gretsch, but I had one on a Silvertone 1446, and I currently have one on a Yamaha Studio Lord (LP Clone) and I'm absolutely in love with them. I got an aluminum one, and it really opened up the sound. It's a bit more airy.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:40 pm
Surfysonic wrote:
No experience with a Compton bridge on a Gretsch, but I had one on a Silvertone 1446, and I currently have one on a Yamaha Studio Lord (LP Clone) and I'm absolutely in love with them. I got an aluminum one, and it really opened up the sound. It's a bit more airy.
Nice! "Airy" is an excellent description when a guitar is equipped with a Tru-Arc bridge, too. Got one on my Squier CV Starcaster as well as on my Gretsch guitars. :)

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:08 pm

Another vote for the duo jet, as I've finally realized that a duo jet is the only "solid body" electric guitar that really has the acoustic resonance I need for fingerstyle playing to feel right. The electromatics are a dime a dozen, the pro line duo jet is a much higher quality guitar. Re: the finish, I feel like I remember reading over on Gretschtalk that the poly coats those guitars get is generally much thinner than your standard poly finish on an import guitar. So maybe your feeling that the finish is "thinner" isn't unfounded.

Also, the Comptons are great, I've had a couple over the years on various Gretsch guitars and it was always a worthwhile upgrade.

This reminds me, I really need to get my hands on one of those Duo Jet DSVs I've wanted forever, I've let too many slip through my hands.

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 pm

Surfysonic wrote:

Re: the Tru-Arc bridge - I put them on every Gretsch I own save the Mastery on my Astro-Jet build. I got to know Tim Harmon (Tru-Arc maker) via the Gretsch Pages and Gretsch Roundup events since like 2007 or so. Wonderful, interesting, and funny dude. I find that Tru-Arc bridges bring out a brighter (not shrill), enhancing tone. To me, they really make the guitar come alive. Tim has so many Tru-Arc bridge options and he'll work with you to make sure you're getting a great bridge for your guitar. His YouTube handle is Proteus54 if you want to check out his content. Here's a fun video from 2009 where he plays a Duo Jet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FChKOnkZtGU.
I’ve ordered a TruArc for the DuoJet! Tim has been great to communicate with. That video clip is great and really makes me GAS for dynasonic pickups, too. It also reminded me, I might swap the Bigsby arm for a Chet Atkins style just for the looks. Do you know how much they differ in terms of playing ergonomics? (Or which would be longer like a JM/Jag trem?)

rbrcbr wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:08 pm
Another vote for the duo jet, as I've finally realized that a duo jet is the only "solid body" electric guitar that really has the acoustic resonance I need for fingerstyle playing to feel right. The electromatics are a dime a dozen, the pro line duo jet is a much higher quality guitar. Re: the finish, I feel like I remember reading over on Gretschtalk that the poly coats those guitars get is generally much thinner than your standard poly finish on an import guitar. So maybe your feeling that the finish is "thinner" isn't unfounded.

Also, the Comptons are great, I've had a couple over the years on various Gretsch guitars and it was always a worthwhile upgrade.
I can’t tell if the pro line has a thinner finish than the electromatic, but it could be a different composition of poly, at least it feels that way.

I love the look of the Comptons and may have to find a guitar to try one on, maybe the Epi ES-175!