New Bass Day - 2011 Fender MIM Standard P-Bass

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Bass Day - 2011 Fender MIM Standard P-Bass

Post by Oig » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:53 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:45 am
burpgun wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:56 am

The Waters one is like super black: I think the pickguard has no white layer. One of Fender's more mysterious signatures: Who in the world wants a bass inspired by Roger Waters? Whatever he brought to Pink Floyd, and yes it was a lot even as his ego stood a repulsive level, distinctive bass playing was not on the list. Maybe he's also got some acoustic sig out there, would make more sense.
Oh, I guess I disagree there a bit. For whatever reason I've been listening to some Pink Floyd lately, and I do find him to be a fairly distinct bass player and I find Pink Floyd to be a pretty unique band regarding time.

I've always thought that Pink Floyd kind of works with an inner logic regarding time, they don't tend to emphasize the beat a whole lot and often kind of play very loosely within the confines of the beat. Obviously Roger Waters is a big part of that.

Playing like Roger Waters might be a little difficult, but sounding like him is pretty easy. It seems he often kept that metal shield over the pickup on there which forced him to pick the strings closer to the bridge, so just playing with a pick close to the bridge on a P bass is that sound right there.

But like you say the extent of a "Roger Waters" bass would seem to be the black pick guard. I don't even know if they include the pickup cover.

Roger Waters or no, black P basses are cool.
Agreed. Floyd is one of my favorite bands, and however puerile Roger Waters comes across sometimes, his bass playing is a big part of their sound. I think the same is true for Led Zep - John Paul Jones should get at least as much glory as Jimmy Page, if not more.