NGD - Les Paul Historic 57’ Reissue Custom - (new pics page 4)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD - Les Paul Historic 57’ Reissue Custom - (new pics page 4)

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:39 pm

I just pulled the trigger on something crazy. A 1996 Les Paul Custom Historic 57 Reissue with a factory Bigsby. It hasn’t shipped yet. But, I’m eagerly awaiting.

This one is from 1996. The weight, with Bigsby is not bad for a Les Paul at 9lbs and 7oz. Actually, considering that the Bigsby is there I feel lucky I got one this light. I don’t fully know what to expect. It’s my first Les Paul. I’ve played Les Pauls that were owned by friends over the years, but I’ve only played a few customs in shops and they were mostly Norlin era. I was in the market and I almost bought a used Custom from 21’, but I really wanted something with aged/tinted binding. In the end, I am glad I didn’t get a new one honestly. The fact that this one has been broken in actually gives me some comfort. If I would’ve gotten something new-ish I would’ve have felt the pressure to either baby it to death or wear it in like a work horse. Either of which I’m probably not capable of.

This exact guitar is legitimately one of my bucket list guitars with the other 2 being a late 60s Jag (which I owned and regrettably sold) and Jazzmaster. With the exception of it not being ultra light, it ticks all my boxes that I wanted in a Les Paul with the Bigsby, aged binding, and those big block inlays. I’ve been obsessed looking at them over the past month. I thought I was going to hold out for Fender to release the AV II Jags, then I thought I was going to go M2M custom shop. I actually made a thread on it. Hence why I didn’t play guessing game. Would have been too easy. But, per the sales rep, the price and the ambiguity of actually getting a M2M Gibson guitar as light as I wanted was not even a guarantee. He said the guitar could be as heavy as 8lbs and 5oz give or take. It was too much money and too risky to spend on something I wouldn’t be satisfied with.

Then, I saw this one floating on Reverb over the last month and the price kept creeping down. Finally, I had sold enough gear to justify grabbing it. I feel like this was the better decision for the money for a few reasons. It was not as expensive, I didn’t have to wait over a year, and it will basically not lose value as soon as I purchase it like the M2M would. I also factored in that the average weight of a Bigsby is 12oz. Basically, if I got the M2M and it was as heavy as the lowest weight they could guarantee, then this guitar with Bigsby off is almost as light as what Gibson quoted me. It was an easy decision.

Now, I have limited experience with customs and no idea what to expect from a Humbucker equipped guitar like this fitting into my rig. I’ve played mostly single coils over the last 10 years or so. The seller really sold it to me as being an awesome playing guitar. So I guess we’ll see. Over the moon right now though. I may be tempted to play a little more rock now as opposed the the shoegaze and dream pop style I typically gravitate to
Last edited by Unicorn Warrior on Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD - Les Paul Custom

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:59 pm

I mean... yeah.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:37 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:59 pm
I mean... yeah.
Haha. I figured Larry the local Gibson guru would be one to respond

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - Les Paul Historic 57’ Reissue Custom

Post by Jonesie » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:01 pm

HELLLLLL YEAH.

That's gonna be kick-ass. Excited to hear your thoughts on it after playing it through a real big amp.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:09 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:01 pm
HELLLLLL YEAH.

That's gonna be kick-ass. Excited to hear your thoughts on it after playing it through a real big amp.
Thanks man. As sacrilege as it may sound, I’ll be playing this through a Roland JC-40 until I grab either another Vox or possibly something else. The sale of my Matchless is actually what helped fund this thing. No regrets though

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:12 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:09 pm
Jonesie wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:01 pm
HELLLLLL YEAH.

Thanks man. As sacrilege as it may sound, I’ll be playing this through a Roland JC-40 until I grab either another Vox or possibly something else. The sale of my Matchless is actually what helped fund this thing. No regrets though

I have a new amp coming tomorrow that would be a great match for this guitar. :whistle: :shifty:

That's gonna be a different thread though...

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:24 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:12 pm

I have a new amp coming tomorrow that would be a great match for this guitar. :whistle: :shifty:

That's gonna be a different thread though...
Fun times man. Gonna make us play the guessing game? Haha

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:26 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:37 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
I mean... yeah.
I'm more jealous and bitter than anything else. I'd love one of these. Maybe I should get one.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:35 pm

Nice! That's a really good weight, especially with a Bigsby. My first Les Paul was a 1994 Historic. I had to put it on lay-away and sell both my '93 Rick 330/12 and my 1977 ES-335TD to get it. In hindsight, I should've kept the Rick and 335. (in 1994 I bought and sold them for $680 each, crazy right?). I think the LPC was $2399 new but then the store stopped dealing with Gibson and discounted it to $1899. Man, that guitar shop was the best. I wish everyone could've experienced it. Guitar Oasis in Huntington Beach, CA.

My LPC was around 10.8 lbs, no Bigsby but I later added one. It worked great for recording but I didn't enjoy playing it live due to the weight. Because it was heavy solid mahogany (no maple top) and had an ebony board, it was brighter than any standard I had but it had the best clean tone for any Les Paul I ever played. I used to record it DI all the time cuz it just sat in mix so perfectly like that. But I broke the headstock twice and then it broke again in transit thanks to FedEx when I sold it. The guy kept it though and only wanted $150 for the repair. Anyway, I firmly believe the headstock broke the first two times due to the Bisgby. When it fell face first, I had the bar pushed back so the pressure on the bar pulled on the headstock so it's like it helped break it. So NEVER let it fall!!

Also, everyone talks about the early to mid 90s as the good wood era. The strap pin screws always stripped out on mine because the wood was softer in those areas. I had to fill the holes with a maple dowel and wood glue. Hopefully yours is solid.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:23 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:26 pm
Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:37 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
I mean... yeah.
I'm more jealous and bitter than anything else. I'd love one of these. Maybe I should get one.
Man, you should. Life’s too short, go for it. I sold a good portion of my gear I’ve collected. An acoustic, and basically 2 other electrics along with some pedals “I wasn’t using”. Time will tell, but I think if it plays half as good as it looks I’ll keep it forever. That’s why I bought it really. My other electric is nice but it’s a partsmaster. This is something I can leave to my kids that will still retain some value over my other. Plus it’s different than my JM and I’ve wanted one just like this for years. I was mostly inspired by the use of a black Custom from Noel Hogan of the Cranberries and Joey Santiago of the Pixies. Just something classy about them that seems like they can fit in any genre of music.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:01 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:35 pm
Nice! That's a really good weight, especially with a Bigsby. My first Les Paul was a 1994 Historic. I had to put it on lay-away and sell both my '93 Rick 330/12 and my 1977 ES-335TD to get it. In hindsight, I should've kept the Rick and 335. (in 1994 I bought and sold them for $680 each, crazy right?). I think the LPC was $2399 new but then the store stopped dealing with Gibson and discounted it to $1899. Man, that guitar shop was the best. I wish everyone could've experienced it. Guitar Oasis in Huntington Beach, CA.

My LPC was around 10.8 lbs, no Bigsby but I later added one. It worked great for recording but I didn't enjoy playing it live due to the weight. Because it was heavy solid mahogany (no maple top) and had an ebony board, it was brighter than any standard I had but it had the best clean tone for any Les Paul I ever played. I used to record it DI all the time cuz it just sat in mix so perfectly like that. But I broke the headstock twice and then it broke again in transit thanks to FedEx when I sold it. The guy kept it though and only wanted $150 for the repair. Anyway, I firmly believe the headstock broke the first two times due to the Bisgby. When it fell face first, I had the bar pushed back so the pressure on the bar pulled on the headstock so it's like it helped break it. So NEVER let it fall!!

Also, everyone talks about the early to mid 90s as the good wood era. The strap pin screws always stripped out on mine because the wood was softer in those areas. I had to fill the holes with a maple dowel and wood glue. Hopefully yours is solid.
Man, you spelled out my biggest fear. I don’t think I’m ever putting it on a stand when it gets here. I’m going to try to keep the case around whenever I play out so I can just lay it in there to reduce the risk of fall. I’m also very excited to hear that you said it sounded good clean. That’s where I was hoping this guitar would shine. I haven’t played true humbuckers since 2013 besides the Widerange novaks that were in a build. Those are totally different animals there. But, I’m excited to try out that Humbucker clean. Especially with all the ambient music that i do. Also, that’s interesting about the strap buttons stripping. Wonder if it was the weight too? Everyone always talks up the Honduran mahagony that was used in that era. I’ve never been one to give a flip about tonewoods, but my curiosity is peaked since it’s incoming. What are your thoughts on how the wood affects how it plays?

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:23 pm

I mean it played great. I had the nut replaced on mine with good quality (hard) unbleached bone. That made a big difference for me. I had replaced the pickups but went back to the originals. They’re great. Later I removed the bigsby and used a gotoh aluminum tailpiece. That was my favorite setup.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:55 pm

Boy, that's a looker. My back aches at the sight of it though.

It's true that it's lightweight..."for the Les Paul with a Bigsby." :D
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:15 am

Embenny wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:55 pm
Boy, that's a looker. My back aches at the sight of it though.

It's true that it's lightweight..."for the Les Paul with a Bigsby." :D
Thanks man. Yeah, it’s going to feel a lot heavier than my 7lb Jazzmaster. I plan to buy a bigger strap to offset the weight. Especially since sometimes we play for over an hour. But all in all, I think I still did good. I played one in a shop a few weeks back without a Bigsby that weighed 12 lbs. it played so nice and felt like Excalibur, but there was no way I would even attempt to play something like that for a whole set.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:29 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:23 pm
I mean it played great. I had the nut replaced on mine with good quality (hard) unbleached bone. That made a big difference for me. I had replaced the pickups but went back to the originals. They’re great. Later I removed the bigsby and used a gotoh aluminum tailpiece. That was my favorite setup.
I was looking at so many Les Pauls and not many had bigsbys. This was one of maybe a small few online that had a factory Bigsby on it. I would have compromised and got one without it 1. Mostly to reduce weight, and 2. To save $$$ but I always envisioned one on my ideal LP. Just the look alone I like, but I really intend to use it as well. I owned a Gretsch with one and I like the units well enough. Although, not as much as I like offset vibratos, but I really just wanted the option to wiggle if need be. I do it a lot in my playing. Not sure how I feel about that style bridge on it though. I might need to swap depending on how it stays in tune etc.. I like the idea that it’s factory. Maybe it gives me an excuse to get a hard tale in the future. Haha