NGD - a free guitar!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD - a free guitar!

Post by DaddyDom » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:33 pm

Yup, my buddy gifted me a Chibson replica ES-125T with a single neck P90. Lucky me!

The good:
It's seems comfortable to play so far and looks solidly made from what I can tell.
It was free and has a hard case.
I love free guitars.
The tailpiece and also tuners seem fine - replica Kluson 3 on a plate.
It's certainly not 100% shit.

The bad:
Hardware/pickup/electrics/bridge are all low rent. (Is that just about everything? :D )
It's matt black.
The counterfeit logo isn't even straight.
The black pickguard is a weird shape. I'll get a tort.

So, because I can play the thing and have been after some kind of semi for ages, I think can throw a few $$ at this and know when to stop.

First to go is the bridge.
I can buy a tun-o-matic or similar that just may fit the posts on the floating bridge but equally could buy a whole new bridge/base set for not much more.
Obviously I can intonate that type but a well-made completely ebony/rosewood sculpted archtop type is equally appealing but possibly limited in terms of tuning - what would you do?
Eventually this will wear some flats with a wound G.

Pickup/Electrics.
I have an oldish P90 I believe is a Gibson but no idea if it's a bridge or neck. I'll check the polepiece spacing to see how suitable it is but also measure the output.
I'm sure I have some old pots to try out. Do people still use the original values, 250, 500, 1k or whatever? Might try a no-load tone.

The finish.
If I'm stuck with a black guitar I'd prefer gloss so first call is out with the polish/rags.
Alternately, as some finish has chipped away at the front edge, I'm confident it's not covered in a few mil of plastic lacquer - I may even strip it and attempt my first dark 'burst.

Well, here I go. I'll try and post a picture, too.

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - a free guitar!

Post by DaddyDom » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:51 pm

Now with added picture.

shigginpit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shigginpit » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:28 pm

Free is the best price, congratulations.
DaddyDom wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:33 pm
because I can play the thing and have been after some kind of semi for ages, I think can throw a few $$ at this and know when to stop.
I'd encourage you to do your best to stick to this as it's the knowing when to stop part that becomes the most limiting, difficult to stick with and possibly most important factor in a project like this. I hope that the Gibson p90 you already have works out, that would be a great way to save a few bucks and come out with some nice tones. I wouldn't count on the wood being suitable for a show-off finish like a burst, but you never know, might look ok when you get the black finish off of it. Also, take a minute to sight the neck with a straightedge and make sure there's no twist or any other funny business before you start making plans. Hope it works out for you and that you have fun with your new semi-hollow :)
offset since 1994.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:11 am

Congrats! To each his own, but I think matte black is killer. You do you, of course! 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:59 am

That's pretty cool. Congrats! As long as the neck isn't twisted or humped, I'd do a nice fret job on it (leveling/crowning/polish), optimize/replace the nut as needed (they're usually a weak point on even mid-priced guitars), put on "decent but inexpensive" hardware/pickups/electronics and call it a huge win.

I think the funky guard is kind of endearing, but you could get a more traditionally shaped one for sure.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

shigginpit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shigginpit » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:38 am

Embenny wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:59 am
optimize/replace the nut as needed (they're usually a weak point on even mid-priced guitars)
This is so true.
offset since 1994.

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:36 pm

shigginpit wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:38 am
Embenny wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:59 am
optimize/replace the nut as needed (they're usually a weak point on even mid-priced guitars)
This is so true.

Absolutely. When I gave the nut a lookover, it kinda seemed okay - but there seemed to be a little mismatching where this meets that and so on. maybe it's not flat on the headstock.
I think once I've decided on a bridge, I can always hand it over to my local luthier for a bone nut.

The bridge isn't even wide enough for the pickup polepieces.
Last edited by DaddyDom on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shigginpit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shigginpit » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:46 pm

I tried a tusq nut for the first time recently, I'm not unhappy with it pricewise or material feel. Best of all, required almost no alteration. Grahtech shipped it promptly and I'd recommend measuring string width and nut dimensions and see if their website has something pre-slotted which you can order and try out before you decide on a bridge. Not saying don't replace the bridge, but a new nut may give you a better idea of how much adjustability you actually require out of it since that seems to be a point of contention.
offset since 1994.