Anyone replaced PuPs in a Gretsch Electromatic?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anyone replaced PuPs in a Gretsch Electromatic?

Post by timiscott » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:29 am

I've got a Gretsch Electromatic (double-cut/centreblock) and I'm looking at putting actual Filtertrons in it. Am I right in thinking there are issues with the mountings and it's not a straight drop-in job?

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone replaced PuPs in a Gretsch Electromatic?

Post by Arthon » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:45 am

I did it. I have a Gretsch G5655TG and I replace the pups with TV Jones FIltertron classic.

You are right, it's not a straight in replacement. The only way to not route your guitar is to buy TV Jones pickups and buy the EM5 "Gretsch-style Dual Screw Pickup Ring with Mounting Screws" and "Dual Screw Mount Adaptor".

Hope I helped
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:00 am

Which filtertrons do you want to put in it?

TV Jones has mounting options for every possible configuration of Gretsch. But if you just want to put HS filters, for example, it can be a bit more of a challenge (but not impossible).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:07 am

There's quite a bit of generations of Electromatic's out there. Can you post a picture of yours so we can help you figure out what to do?
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:36 am

I really wasn't expecting a reply so this is great. The guitar is an Electromatic GT5422TG (FSR Midnight Sapphire with Gold hardware) bought about three years ago. I'm looking to drop the standard (not TV Jones) Filtertrons in. I emailed Gretsch with the details and their guy reckoned I need a TV Jones mount.

Link

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:19 am

timiscott wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:36 am
Fixed :)
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:23 am

Thank you. I'm utterly hopeless at IT stuff! Here's a link to the guitar but it's probably not working either!

Link

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:26 am

timiscott wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:23 am
Fixed again. The easiest way to do it is copy the link, then paste it directly in your post where you’d like it. It will automatically ask whether it’s a pic or link (in both your cases you were posting links but I think you wanted pics?).

If you select ‘pic’ you won’t need to populate the text box, but your link has to have a pic suffix (jpg, tif, etc). If you select ‘link’ you’ll need to write something in the text box so people can click on it. In both your posts I just wrote ‘link’ to keep it simple.

Hope that helps!
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:46 am

That's really helpful. Thank you!

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:48 am

Embenny wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:00 am

TV Jones has mounting options for every possible configuration of Gretsch. But if you just want to put HS filters, for example, it can be a bit more of a challenge (but not impossible).
Hi, I think this is what I'm trying to find out. The Gretsch guy sent a link to TV Jones for routing screws but I'm looking at putting in standard Filtertrons, not TV Jones ones. The guy reckoned the TV Jones mounting stuff would allow it to be a drop-in. That doesn't chime with your experience, I think. Are there other issues?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:28 am

timiscott wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:48 am
Embenny wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:00 am

Hi, I think this is what I'm trying to find out. The Gretsch guy sent a link to TV Jones for routing screws but I'm looking at putting in standard Filtertrons, not TV Jones ones. The guy reckoned the TV Jones mounting stuff would allow it to be a drop-in. That doesn't chime with your experience, I think. Are there other issues?
There are a few options. The thing to know is that Blacktop Filter'Trons (like the stock ones in your Electromatic) have baseplates with mounting screws on the sides, meant to engage with screws going through specialized pickup rings.

The HS Filters have no such baseplates. They have two mounting screws within the margins of the pickups themselves, meant to screw directly into wood that your Electromatic probably doesn't have (or doesn't have at the correct routed depth).

But there are adapter-based solutions, like these, which turn standard-mount Filters into "English Mount" ones.

You screw the HS Filter onto the adapter plate, then the adapter plate can engage with a TV Jones mounting ring made for their English Mount (which have one height adjustment screw per side, unlike the Blacktop rings that have two screws on one side).

There is an alternative option. Because all Filter'Trons share common overall outer dimensions, you can actually detach your Blacktop baseplates from your pickups, detach the baseplate from the HS Filters, and swap them, thus enabling the HS pickups to be mounted to your stock pickup rings.

Some Blacktops even have a removable mounting plate if you're lucky, which attach by way of standard HS mounting screws:

But more frequently, you have to fully disassemble the pickup to remove the baseplate, by cutting through the two solder joints between the cover and baseplate, unscrewing the polepieces until they disengage from the baseplate, then removing the bobbins and magnets. Then, you do the same with the guts of the HS Filtertrons and reassemble those with the Blacktop baseplates.

That's obviously much more involved, so I think a lot of people just grab English Mount adapter plates and English Mount pickup rings, and use those.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:50 pm

That's fantastic. Thank you so much!

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:12 pm

I put a set of Filter'tron HS in my G5220 last year when I ditched the stock Blacktop Broadtrons.

I ordered new pickup rings from GuitarFetish and “English-mount” brackets/screws from Philadelphia Luthier Tools. And that was all I needed.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:45 am

Hi, I'm in London (UK) and have ordered the Filtertrons but I'm still confused. The luthier I use is very experienced but usually asks me to get the parts I need before I hand the guitar over. As he hasn't asked for any special mounts or other things, I'm confused. Gretsch/Fender linked me to the TV Jones page and that says I need a TV Jones custom ring - is that the same as a standard Gretsch ring? The info around baseplates etc is way, way over my head as I'm not technical at all! Can anyone clarify?