Boo-Teek Geetars

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Boo-Teek Geetars

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:49 am

I’ve found myself desiring a boutique guitar. Maybe it’ll pass, who knows. But I recently played a Grosh Electrojet and a Tom Anderson Strat and both necks felt amazing. I especially liked the Grosh.

The Grosh had medium jumbo stainless steel frets. I did not know they were stainless until later. They felt, played and looked amazing. I never bothered to try SS frets but now I’m a fan. The guitar is at least 10 years old, gets played daily and there’s no divots. I couldn’t believe it. Since I didn’t know it had SS frets, there was no prejudice and I didn’t hear anything weird. It also had a Madagascar Rosewood board that felt and looked amazing.

Does anyone here have an Electrojet? Or what other boutique guitars do you all like?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Boo-Teek Geetars

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:17 pm

A local shop had an Electrojet for a while. Nice playing guitar for sure.

I have my Rhoneys and my Philip Kubicki koa Strat. The Strat is REALLY 90’s looking, but as the years have gone on it has aged ok. It’s a traditional SSS setup.

I think with boutique stuff you have to accept the possibility that you will be taking a loss if you sell down the road, but the upside is getting something unique that’s better suited to what you do. I sold vintage guitars to buy my Rhoneys and have zero regrets.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:20 pm

That’s true. I’ve noticed that some used Electrojets sell for under $2k on Reverb but you’re probably going to have to compromise with specs.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:23 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:17 pm
I sold vintage guitars to buy my Rhoneys and have zero regrets.
:-*
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:09 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:49 am

Does anyone here have an Electrojet? Or what other boutique guitars do you all like?

One of my best friends in the Brooklyn music scene has a dual P90 Electrojet and I can confirm that it's a fantastic guitar. Plays and sounds great and it's always a pleasure when he lets me give it a spin. Definitely feels a cut above the standard Fender from my experience.

I'm scheming to order a custom Gordon Smith when my Christmas bonus shows up. Looking to combine favorite aspects of a few of my guitars into one thing and should be a fun, not TOO spendy experiment.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:42 am

I have wanted a Koll build for a while. Some friends have had a few and all were excellent. They’ve always been out of my price range. This Duo Glide he built for Mary Timony is almost perfect.

The Novo Serus J models seem like they are high quality, but the body looks so large and the headstock’s distracting.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:17 pm

Collings makes the most perfect guitars in the world, at least all of them I've played at Lidgett's. Just amazing.

That said, I love my Rick Kelly Bowery Pine Tele and my Hahn Model C, both Tele types. I had a Creston that was amazeballs, and my new Powers Electric is absolute a work of art and amazing to play. Oh, and my Rhoney Oceana Jr. is some seriously fine luthier art.

I am of no help am I?

Paul Rhoney Guitars Oceana Jr., March 20, 2020 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Rick Kelly Bowery Pine Snakehead Tele, January 04, 2018 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Hahn Jim Campilongo Model C, May 08, 2018 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

The Flying Dutchman, March 30, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Powers Electric A-Type, November 22, 2023 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:52 pm

There aren’t a ton within my regular geographical meanderings to have a strong opinion about them, and I generally prefer a gussied up cheap or mid priced guitar over something expensive out the box, but I’ll say this: what you’ve read is true…suhr has some of, if not the best fretwork in the business.

I do have a millimetric in the que, but that’s as fancy as I’ll ever get.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:36 pm

Well I had this built to my specifications, and have played it almost everyday since.

One of the best decisions I have ever made

HTH

:)

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:29 pm

I already have one custom-made Charters/Kal-Tone fashioned exactly to my specifications...

And I'm damn near ready to pull the trigger on another one...

Local milk person

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:22 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:42 am
I have wanted a Koll build for a while. Some friends have had a few and all were excellent.
I've always wanted a Koll.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:11 pm

Chippertheripper wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:52 pm
I generally prefer a gussied up cheap or mid priced guitar over something expensive out the box
Same here but at the end of the day I realize i'm just buying mass produced assembly-line products from a corporation and not a luthier/artist. I don't know exactly how Grosh guitars are produced but the neck and fret detail really impressed me. OTOH, they are based on Fender type guitars and use Gotoh hardware but they also seem to make their own pickups.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:42 am

Not trying to put anyone's nose out of joint, and I get that not all the guitars shown here are copies, but my typical reaction to boutique guitars is "What is Fender (or whoever) doing so wrong that somebody wants to pay several times the price for a copy?".

But I guess OYF sums it up perfectly:
OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:11 pm
at the end of the day I realize i'm just buying mass produced assembly-line products from a corporation and not a luthier/artist.
Our local boo-teek guy, Jimmy Moon, has retired now, but my friend who bought one of his guitars in the mid-'80s still uses it regularly enough to suggest it's a good one.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:12 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:11 pm
Chippertheripper wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:52 pm
I generally prefer a gussied up cheap or mid priced guitar over something expensive out the box
Same here but at the end of the day I realize i'm just buying mass produced assembly-line products from a corporation and not a luthier/artist. I don't know exactly how Grosh guitars are produced but the neck and fret detail really impressed me. OTOH, they are based on Fender type guitars and use Gotoh hardware but they also seem to make their own pickups.
You’re absolutely not gonna get any shade from me on this one. Get the guitar that you can’t put down.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:33 am

I am also in the camp of why would you pay so much for a boutique guitar that is just a copy of an already mass produced Fender / Gibson etc?

If you're going boutique go all out with new designs or materials, companies like Aristides , Motor Ave ,TTTides , Baguley ,Electrical Guitar Company.

The only ''boutique'' guitar I own is an Electrical Guitar Company Custom 500. It's worth it to me for an entirely original design, pickups, and heavy use of alternative materials rather than a copy of at least 50 year old designs.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen