Here's a review of some Acoustisonic thing or other I think this one is supposed to be a Telecaster or something

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Here's a review of some Acoustisonic thing or other I think this one is supposed to be a Telecaster or something

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:15 pm

I know any Youtube person I put up will have fans and detractors, but I can say that Rhett Shull certainly is a fine guitar player and knows how to get good sounds out of stuff.

And in this video he has an Acoustisonic.

Anyway, these guitars have been talked about here quite a bit but this is a little interesting because he does a track with one.

I won't ruin any surprise.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Here's a review of some Acoustisonic thing or other I think this one is supposed to be a Telecaster or something

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:26 pm

I think this is a guitar that’s exclusively for live use.

It’s not like you’re going get better recorded sounds out of it than from the things it’s emulating or other quality options.

The actual test would be gigging with it.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Here's a review of some Acoustisonic thing or other I think this one is supposed to be a Telecaster or something

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:36 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:26 pm

It’s not like you’re going get better recorded sounds out of it than from the things it’s emulating or other quality options.

Yeah, I am surprised that he didn't mention that- well, maybe he did. But he sure seemed surprised that it sucked in the studio but obviously it's trying to be a passable electric and acoustic so you don't have to use two guitars live.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:13 pm

Guy with tonnes of gear says acoustasonic is a solution in search of a problem.

That video has actually made me like them more. It sounded pretty cool on the track he made. Not that I’d ever buy one, although I could see how 20 year old me would have thought it was a perfect solution vs owning 2 budget guitars & renting a small room in a shared house.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:34 pm

Where are these being sold, just so i can avoid those stores? :ph34r:

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:30 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:36 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:26 pm

Yeah, I am surprised that he didn't mention that- well, maybe he did. But he sure seemed surprised that it sucked in the studio but obviously it's trying to be a passable electric and acoustic so you don't have to use two guitars live.
He did mention it, but didn’t really dwell on it.

The direct acoustic sounds into the Great River preamp’s DI were certainly passable for a live situation. I’ve heard a lot worse. Then again I have the rack version of that preamp and the DI is really good. A typical club isn’t going to have one of those.

Fender clearly had high hopes for these and marketed the everliving shit out of them. Turns out most guitar players still like designs that are 70+ years old. Who could have guessed?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:33 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:30 pm

The direct acoustic sounds into the Great River preamp’s DI were certainly passable for a live situation. I’ve heard a lot worse. Then again I have the rack version of that preamp and the DI is really good. A typical club isn’t going to have one of those.

Fender clearly had high hopes for these and marketed the everliving shit out of them. Turns out most guitar players still like designs that are 70+ years old. Who could have guessed?
I don't know of any really good way to have an acoustic guitar pickup and it sound good. I don't like any of them, and I'll admit that the Acoustisonic doesn't seem any worse or better than the rest of them.

But yeah, Fender really believes in these things, there's a Strat one, a Telecaster one, a Jazzmaster one, maybe more. A made in the States line and a Player series also, no idea if there are more.

I've said before that there's a lot of people playing music in churches, praise and worship I think is the marketing niche, and these Acoustisonics I think would slot in well there.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:36 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:33 pm

I don't know of any really good way to have an acoustic guitar pickup and it sound good. I don't like any of them, and I'll admit that the Acoustisonic doesn't seem any worse or better than the rest of them.
I really like the K&K Pure Mini that's installed in my J100 Xtra. It's the best out of a bunch of bad options and it's completely fine. To the point that I can ignore it and not notice it. ;D
Local milk person

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:58 pm

Dok wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:36 pm

I really like the K&K Pure Mini that's installed in my J100 Xtra. It's the best out of a bunch of bad options and it's completely fine. To the point that I can ignore it and not notice it. ;D
I have that installed in a Guild I have, I won't take it out. I don't really know what it sounds like but it doesn't impede the sound like the under saddle pickups do.

Hey, you bought like six Gibson guitars for a good price a while back. A J-35, that still around?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:36 am

Fiddy wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:34 pm
Where are these being sold, just so i can avoid those stores? :ph34r:
I saw both the Tele and JM versions at L&M. I played the JM one and thought it was all around mediocre. Sounded OK, but I wouldn’t ever buy one.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:46 am

I think the problem here is that Fender was and is an electric instrument company. They have traditionally struggled with the acoustic segment of the market and this was their attempt to redefine that market in their image. I'll give them points for trying, but I can't imagine buying one of these when I have a couple wonderful acoustics.

Martin knows that acoustics are their strength. Fender should recognize that electrics are theirs, but I understand the corporate types trying to push into every aspect of the market whether it makes sense or not.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 am

Fender does have the Paramount series, which are all solid wood made in China guitars. Probably pretty good.

I don't know. I feel like these Acoustisonics are kind of like those dumb acoustic basses you used to see around. You still need an amplifier, why not just play electric guitar?

I never played my Telecaster and though, oh, man, I wish this thing could be a really shitty acoustic guitar, too.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:38 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 am
Fender does have the Paramount series, which are all solid wood made in China guitars. Probably pretty good.

I don't know. I feel like these Acoustisonics are kind of like those dumb acoustic basses you used to see around. You still need an amplifier, why not just play electric guitar?

I never played my Telecaster and though, oh, man, I wish this thing could be a really shitty acoustic guitar, too.
I played a Paramount series Fender recently in a local shop. It was a fine guitar. I was really happy with it. The price was good too. I was considering buying it, but it got bought before I could make up my mind.
I used to have a Fender Elvis Presley Kingman. It was MIC and sounded great. It had the wild wood treatment on the back and sides. Not sure if it was all solid woods, but it was great. I sold it for cheap a few years back to a friend who wouldn’t stop bugging me to sell it to him.
Whenever I’m at his place, I see it and regret selling it to him. Anyhow, my point is the Made in China acoustic Fenders are great in my experience. The Made in Indonesia ones tend to sound like cardboard boxes.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 pm

I'll take a Boss AC-3 over one of these weird ass guitars.
They remind me of Mules, the sterile offspring of a Donkey and a Horse.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 pm

They remind me of Mules, the sterile offspring of a Donkey and a Horse.
That's absolutely great right there, you nailed it.