New Epiphone Firebirds

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Epiphone Firebirds

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:30 am

I haven't ever owned a guitar with Laurel before, and I don't actually know if it's something you would oil? One day I'll restring the Riviera and that's when I would do it, if it is appropriate for that wood. That will darken it.

All these guitar companies send the stuff out bone dry.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:08 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:30 am
I haven't ever owned a guitar with Laurel before, and I don't actually know if it's something you would oil? One day I'll restring the Riviera and that's when I would do it, if it is appropriate for that wood. That will darken it.

All these guitar companies send the stuff out bone dry.
I oiled mine with mineral oil and it helped a bit.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm

I own one of the $650 Firebirds and I really have no complaints. The frets needed a little work but it's shockingly well made. Would I prefer it to say Gibson on the headstock? Sure. Do I think that a Gibson would offer any substantial jump in quality? No, not really. The binding on the Epiphone is actually neater than my $4k J-185.

All that said, I'm really struggling with these. I hope they don't massively drive up the used Gibson prices, as I'm sure the next time Gibson puts out a standard production Firebird that it's going to be $3k-ish.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:00 pm

The best part about these new models is they make the Korina V & explorer look like great value :derp:
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:22 pm

I'll add my voice to the chorus of those who bought their Gibson Firebirds for less than these Epihpones cost.

Slightly peeved that the fancy tuners/headstock have returned for the epiphone while recent Gibsons have regular tuners and the less attractive headstock design.

The prices are absurd IMHO. I'm sure these will have the same hit or miss QC typical of epiphone. Just look at the wrap around bridge. It's the run of the mill version they stick on cheapest cheap bolt-on junior models. Look how long the grub screws are. Y'know just in case the CNC missed the bridge post locations by a quarter inch or so.

These would have been absolute bangers for $700 and $900. This is just silliness now.

Having said all of that however, the color options on the FB I's are chef's kiss. Such fun vibes. If I were a millionaire, I'd buy one of each, chuckle, then collapse back into anhedonia.

Who are these for? One pickup guitars in such colors are kind of a one trick pony. And these are too much for a one trick pony. As for the FB VII, it's kind of a slap in the face to Gibson Customers that it's so close to the Gibson FB V price while also having things that the FB V lacks like the maestro and headstock.

Just very silly all around. Cute. Wouldn't refuse one if offered (for free). But silly all the same.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:08 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:28 am
Yeah they look really good. The silver isn't getting as much appreciation as it should though, just look at it!!!

:? :? :? :? :?

The Laurel on this one looks fine too.
I think my ibg fb has Laurel too, and it’s nice and dark.
I already have 3.5 guitars with fb pickups, and as much as I want that green I, I have too much stuff for another toy.

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:18 pm

A nice FB V is just about the last guitar on my (current) bucket list. These look wonderful, but I just can't spend that much on an Epiphone that I honestly probably won't get along with enough to actually play much.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:17 pm

Well, the Gibson Firebird is discontinued for now, so these I think are going to be the reverse Firebirds for a while. There's some Gibsons in the stores I imagine but their website only lists Custom Shop models.

I keep hearing rumors that Gibson is going to put out the non-reverse Firebird again, but I don't know anything.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:44 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:17 pm
Well, the Gibson Firebird is discontinued for now, so these I think are going to be the reverse Firebirds for a while. There's some Gibsons in the stores I imagine but their website only lists Custom Shop models.

I keep hearing rumors that Gibson is going to put out the non-reverse Firebird again, but I don't know anything.
Huh.

The Firebird is always so marginal. IT just doesn't seem to be able to hold a roster spot without being optioned to the AHL again and again. I mean, I get it. It's probably orders of magnitude more difficult to line up the supply chain for a guitar that requires four foot long blanks of two species of wood as well as esoteric, model specific hardware.

I don't want it to become an "it" guitar like offsets did. But, I would like to see it "lock down" it's permanent roster status. I think it deserves that much as an instrument. Also, because I love mine so much, I'd like to know I could go buy another one if anything happened to mine.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:46 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:44 pm

The Firebird is always so marginal. IT just doesn't seem to be able to hold a roster spot without being optioned to the AHL again and again. I mean, I get it. It's probably orders of magnitude more difficult to line up the supply chain for a guitar that requires four foot long blanks of two species of wood as well as esoteric, model specific hardware.

I don't want it to become an "it" guitar like offsets did. But, I would like to see it "lock down" it's permanent roster status. I think it deserves that much as an instrument. Also, because I love mine so much, I'd like to know I could go buy another one if anything happened to mine.
Yeah, Firebirds are the best guitars, I'm glad not everybody knows that.

But Gibson has a pretty unique thing with the Firebird in that there are two versions of it. So, they always have to compete against used Gibson, but when they roll out the non-reverse, what used versions of that are out there? I have a "Studio" from 2010, there was a run that was only in Japan around 2015, and there is Custom Shop and vintage.

Then realistically they'll sell all they are likely to sell of those, but then they can pivot back to the reverse Firebird, and they can generate some excitement there, not to mention the used market will be a little tamed.

Kind of a unique opportunity they have with Firebirds.

chandra
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chandra » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:53 pm

zhivago wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:21 am
And it came with a proper Firebird brown case:

Nice colour. However, the Firebird T is not a Firebird V. As nice as a guitar as that is, compare the spec sheet and you’ll pick up on the differences that separate it from other Birds that were in production before and afterwards. The Heritage run+the 02-08 VII’s were the last production line Firebirds to be put in the mainline production. Other birds since then (10-13, Murphy Lab, limited runs) have all been different specs, pickups, tuners.

Firebirds aren’t like Les Pauls. The differences in the details are key.

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 pm

Not to be a weener, because I LOVE Firebirds, but for what they're asking, I have 3 60's Gibsons, a 60's Gretsch, a 60's Mustang, and a modern Squier VI with a laurel fretboard COMBINED.

I know that world of pre/early-internet banditry is long gone, and daddy likey that Heather poly pink in ways that aren't fit to discuss in polite company, but I simply can't cough up that cash for a Glorious Worker's Republic of China Epiphone. My violently shaking hands would be unable to swipe the credit card.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:14 am

chandra wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:53 pm
zhivago wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:21 am
And it came with a proper Firebird brown case:

Nice colour. However, the Firebird T is not a Firebird V. As nice as a guitar as that is, compare the spec sheet and you’ll pick up on the differences that separate it from other Birds that were in production before and afterwards.

Happy to agree to disagree. 8)
Resident Spartan.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:19 am

Just what is Gibson custom shop collab range for Epiphones exactly?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:02 am

chandra wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:53 pm

Nice colour. However, the Firebird T is not a Firebird V. As nice as a guitar as that is, compare the spec sheet and you’ll pick up on the differences that separate it from other Birds that were in production before and afterwards. The Heritage run+the 02-08 VII’s were the last production line Firebirds to be put in the mainline production. Other birds since then (10-13, Murphy Lab, limited runs) have all been different specs, pickups, tuners.

Wait, I'm confused. My 2010 Firebird was emphatically sold as a V, are you saying the Steinberger tuners mean that it's not?